YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Mirror Mirror
This topic is about Mirror Mirror
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > Mirror Mirror by Gregory Maguire - Starting August 5th 2014

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83344 comments Mod
The world was called Montefiore, as far as she knew, and from her aerie on every side all the world descended.

The year is 1502, and seven-year-old Bianca de Nevada lives perched high above the rolling hills and valleys of Tuscany and Umbria at Montefiore, the farm of her beloved father, Don Vicente. There she spends her days cosseted by Primavera Vecchia, the earthy cook, and Fra Ludovico, a priest who tends to their souls between bites of ham and sips of wine.

But one day a noble entourage makes its way up the winding slopes to the farm -- and the world comes to Montefiore. In the presence of Cesare Borgia and his sister, the lovely and vain Lucrezia -- decadent children of a wicked pope -- no one can claim innocence for very long. When Borgia sends Don Vicente on a years-long quest to reclaim a relic of the original Tree of Knowledge, he leaves Bianca under the care -- so to speak -- of Lucrezia. She plots a dire fate for the young girl in the woods below the farm, but in the dark forest there can be found salvation as well ...

The eye is always caught by light, but shadows have more to say.

Diamond (diamondnaz) | 486 comments I am glad to finally be reading this!

Diamond (diamondnaz) | 486 comments Are we still doing this?

Diamond (diamondnaz) | 486 comments Ok cool. I will start today too but I'm reading a lot of other books so I may read this slower than usual, hope that's ok?

message 5: by Diamond (last edited Aug 05, 2014 06:21PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Diamond (diamondnaz) | 486 comments Sweet. I just started it.
Btw I am going out of town for a last minute trip for a few days. I'm going to continue reading on Friday when I get back because I can't bring all the books I'm reading, and don't have this on my kindle which is the only thing I'm bringing for books!
So I'll come back Friday and continue reading and discuss :) I'll be on goodreads via the app but just a little

Diamond (diamondnaz) | 486 comments I just got back from vacation. I didn't read anything so I'll pick up tomorrow and try to catch up to you.

Diamond (diamondnaz) | 486 comments Maddy wrote: "19%
[spoilers removed]"

15%
(view spoiler)
I feel like this is going to be a weird twist on the common story of "girl who loses her only parent, her father, and is subject to the Cruelty of a new family or caregiver. I've read this type of story a LOT. I hope I get more into this...

Diamond (diamondnaz) | 486 comments It isn't as good as any of his other books I've read. I really loved Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. I was hoping this would be as good! :( Bummer.

Diamond (diamondnaz) | 486 comments That sucks to hear! I honestly don't even think I'm going to finish it..it's just too weird and not really my style. I'm extremely disapointed because I really like him as an author and before this book, i hadn't read ANYTHING by him I didn't like! :( bummer!

Diamond (diamondnaz) | 486 comments OMG yes! Don't judge him based on this book, please. His series based on The Wizard of Oz is excellent. Here are my favorite books by him,

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the WestConfessions of an Ugly Stepsister

Wicked The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years #1) by Gregory Maguire Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire

Wicked is the first in the retelling of Wizard of Oz series, and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is a stand alone book that is a retelling of a "stepsister" of Cinderella but it's very far from a Cinderella story. I love his writing and the worlds he creates.

Diamond (diamondnaz) | 486 comments Ugh this book is so bad, it's nothing like his others. Let me know if you decide to read either of those, I'd be curious to see what u think.

Have a good day!