UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past group quizzes/comps > Writing Contest #23 Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments SO, time to get the Writing Contests up and running again.

The theme for this months contest is "Hidden Danger". 150 words based around that theme and PM your stories to me by midnight on the 13th August. Please no stories based on the hidden dangers of labour or small children ;o)

message 2: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Yay! Another distraction.

message 3: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments a story will be with you in 5...

message 4: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Done

message 5: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Took me longer than that to come up with the theme :~/

message 6: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments I like to riff words so this is right up my strasse :-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Should I shift this to the top of the group so it's more visible?

Yes I think I should.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9081 comments I'm going to try and produce something. Hopefully 150 wonderful words. In the right order!

message 9: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments I prefer writing 150 words in the wrong order :-)

message 10: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments I'm not sure my vocabulary runs to 150 words. Can I use the same one 150 times?

message 11: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Aug 01, 2014 12:34PM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Make sure it's a good one, Pete.
I like 'kumquat'

message 12: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Make sure it's a good one, Pete.
I like 'kumquat'"

I prefer beer.
Beer, beer, glorious beer. Nothing quite like it for making you cheer.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Beans, beans the magical fruit.

message 14: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Beans, beans the magical fruit."

Ah, getting musical are we?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Better out than in, as Shrek sez.

message 16: by Marc (last edited Aug 01, 2014 12:51PM) (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments if you can run to two words, you can make it a catechism

message 17: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments After considerable thought, I am finding it extremely difficult to write a story using only one word 150 times. I shall use spaces instead. Here is an example, but the final story will be much better:-
"

."
What do you think of it so far? (No spoilers please.)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Needs commas, Pete.

message 19: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Marc wrote: "if you can run to two words, you can make it a catechism"

Or three, for a cataclysm.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I was once told to write an essay about a bathroom sponge as a punishment. I started off 'There are a lot of holes in a sponge. Let's count them. One, two, three, four' and i carried on like that until the end of the essay.

message 21: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Needs commas, Pete."

They're there - along with two full stops, an exclamation mark and two question marks. I coloured them white, because they distracted from the flow.

message 22: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Gingerlily - Elephant Philosopher wrote: "I was once told to write an essay about a bathroom sponge as a punishment. I started off 'There are a lot of holes in a sponge. Let's count them. One, two, three, four' and i carried on like that ..."

Well, don't keep us all in suspense! How many were there?

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9081 comments I was just wondering how a sponge could be a punishment

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I can't remember how many there were. Its a very long time ago.

message 25: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Rosemary (The Nosemanny) wrote: "I was just wondering how a sponge could be a punishment"

No? Clearly you haven't tried to sew up all the holes!

message 26: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Needs commas, Pete."

Commas? Really?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments You're not expecting consistency from me, are you David?

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments OH dear. The writing competition is back. Does this mean summer is officially over?

Great subject - I am going to compose my last place contender now.

message 29: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 461 comments I must tell you how pleased I am that I entered one of your writing competitions last year. I didn't win - I didn't expect to. But I extended the length of my story and posted it in a group I started elsewhere. It received such a favourable response that I started to write more. Up until now I had only written poetry. Now, thanks to your competition, I have a novelette already out and am about to publish a book of short stories. And I have people waiting to buy it. These competitions are great, whether you win or lose. Something can be learnt just by entering. But I shan't be entering any more, lol. Now I'm saving my stories for my books. Best wishes to all the competitors, though.

message 30: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 461 comments By the way, I have loved reading the comments here. Your wit has made me chuckle. Thanks for the entertainment.

message 31: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 562 comments Gingerlily - Elephant Philosopher wrote: "I was once told to write an essay about a bathroom sponge as a punishment. I started off 'There are a lot of holes in a sponge. Let's count them. One, two, three, four' and i carried on like that ..."
You must have been a delight to teach!

message 32: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 461 comments Pete wrote: "Patti (baconater) wrote: "Needs commas, Pete."

They're there - along with two full stops, an exclamation mark and two question marks. I coloured them white, because they distracted from the flow."

Lol. You guys crack me up.

message 33: by M.T. (new)

M.T. McGuire (mtmcguire) | 7639 comments YO dudes, maybe I will try this one. Surely I can manage 150 words...

message 34: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Aug 02, 2014 10:32AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yes you can. And don't call me Shirley.

message 35: by Will (new)

Will Moore | 9 comments Sent mine in. 150 words is difficult.

message 36: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments I'm in :~)

message 37: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments 150 words is easy. Not having 151-20,000 is what's hard.

message 38: by Will (new)

Will Moore | 9 comments Sowhen you have 151 words, which one do you delete? Pick one at random?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Replace an 'and' with a comma. Easy.

message 40: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments Nah, you just join two words together to make "sowhen".

message 41: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Hyphens and apostrophies come in handy too.

message 42: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Will wrote: "Sent mine in. 150 words is difficult."

Of course, it doesn't have to be exactly 150 words, just no more than.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9081 comments I thought we were allowed a leetle leeway, either up or down?

message 44: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Maybe, Rosie. I don't know.

message 45: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomheather_burnside) | 264 comments I haven't entered one of these competitions before so apologies if this is a daft question. Does it have to be 150 words exactly or up to 150 words?

message 46: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments We were just discussing this, above, Diane. I thought it was up to, Rosie thinks it doesn't matter if you go over by a bit.

message 47: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments It used to be 200 but a word or two either side was allowed. I think under is fine but going very much over is abusing the privilege!

message 48: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomheather_burnside) | 264 comments Cheers guys. I checked to see if it had already been mentioned but must have missed it.

message 49: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments It's been too long since the last one. I'm impatient to read the entries.

message 50: by Heather (new)

Heather Burnside (goodreadscomheather_burnside) | 264 comments David wrote: "It's been too long since the last one. I'm impatient to read the entries."

Are you entering?

« previous 1