Tsundoku Reading Group discussion

Series Club Discussions > Bastards - Assassin's Apprentice

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 19 comments Mod
Hi guys!
I finished Assassin's Apprentice yesterday, and I have been thinking about how the treatment of bastards in this world is so interesting. I mean we have the main character, Fitz, but also Chade and Galen. Each developed differently and had somewhat different treatments throughout life. However, all of them are huge influences on not only the story, but how the world is changing due to there closeness to the thrown. What did you all think of each??
I hate Galen, but of course I see how he developed into the character he was, which I think makes him well written. I don't think we get enough of Chade in this book to really discuss his underlying motives, but of course develops over the course of the story.
How do you think Fitz would have been different had he the chance to be raised by Patience as she expressly desired in the story?

message 2: by Aryanne (new)

Aryanne (tangentialmind) | 8 comments Ahhhhh! I thought we were starting in June!

message 3: by Amber (new)

Yes, it's through June, It's just going to take me forever to read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I can already tell. I guess it gets better after about 150 pgs but thus far its a bit of a slog.

Reading Robin Hobb is so much easier!!

message 4: by Meo (new)

Meo Mio | 8 comments I think that “bastard” is a state of mind. Obviously pounded into all three characters in this book. The never being good enough or making the grade, regardless of effort. It is sure to start perverting the efforts to best suit the individual, much as a survival method. All characters presumably starting with the same goal of being”A King’s Man,” but never having a chance to rise to that glory themselves. I feel Royal is in the same position and uses his title of prince to have power over the bastards as he himself feels he will never have over the kingdom without ridding the world of Verity. He knows he at least has a position in line. I think if Patience had had the opportunity to raise Fitz he would have at least found a sense of belonging and probably would have been satisfied in living a content life. Without this nurturing he is forever questing for recognition he can never quite grasp.

message 5: by Amber (new)

I have always wished Fitz and Patience had the opportunity to make a sort of family together. I mean, I see the point that maybe something like that would have increased the liklihood of Fitz being killed but I always felt like he was pretty clever and would have managed. I like how you brought up that point about Regal though. I never really considered it, probably because I really don't like Regal, but from a psychological stand point he most likely always did feel a bit out of place being the only son of queen Desire and King Shrewd. Almost but not quite in the same realm as the bastards. He definitely uses his half brother Galen to the fullest possible extent and even Fitz is a bit of a pawn to him. I totally agree that the mindset of bastard gets pounded into all three so strongly, it becomes a part of all their personas, it almost creates the books driving plot point since Galen is, in my opinion, the strongest villian of the first book. I mean, I Regal doesn't really pop in until the climax and Galen has done a lot of the leg work I feel.

message 6: by Aryanne (new)

Aryanne (tangentialmind) | 8 comments The three bastards seem to embody various attitudes toward exclusion. Chade has this fatalistic acceptance that makes him the most content of the three. Galen is similar on the surface. He knows his place, but it's more a "fake it to make it" situation. The act of submission plunges him into secret contempt until he finally acts on it. Then we have Fitz. He chooses the path of open perseverance. He has the hope and naivete lent by youth. He thinks he came break the mold. It'll be interesting to see what type of story this is. It definitely puts pressure to conform purposely in the front of your mind. The long and short is that I don't fault any of them, not even Galen.