What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Maestro
This topic is about Maestro
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Book with last line that has the word "effortlessly". [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karys (new)

Karys McEwen (karysrhiann) | 2 comments I am trying to remember a book that I have read that has a great last line that includes the word "effortless" or "effortlessly". Can you help? Thank you!

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amanda_redpeach) | 253 comments Romance, science fiction, non-fiction? Any details at all about the book at all?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40648 comments Mod
Why/how is this the one thing you remember about the book? How would people go about searching for this?

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1204 comments This is a stretch, and I know this doesn't include "effortlessly", but it sort of has that feel, and it's a famous last line from a famous book. "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

It's from The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The Great Gatsby

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marquis | 226 comments Maybe “A Prayer for Owen Meany” John Irving

"When we held Owen Meany above our heads, when we passed him back and forth -- so effortlessly -- we believed that Owen weighed nothing at all. We did not realize that there were forces beyond our play. Now I know they were the forces that contributed to our illusion of Owen's weightlessness: they were the forces we didn't have the faith to feel, they were the forces we failed to believe in -- and they were also lifting up Owen Meany, taking him out of our hands. O God -- please give him back! I shall keep asking You.”

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36583 comments Mod
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving - Joseph's suggestion

Karys, can you tell us something about the genre, plot, or main characters? When did you read this book?

Tips for posting a book request: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments If you could even provide more details about that last line it would be helpful - what was effortless? Why was the last line so great?

message 8: by Karys (new)

Karys McEwen (karysrhiann) | 2 comments Hi everyone, thank you for your help! I found it after all, in Peter Goldworthy's novel Maestro.

"Can I know that mine was a foolish, innocent world, a world of delusion and feeling and ridiculous dreams - a world of music - and still love it? Endlessly, effortlessly."

message 9: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Maestro by Peter Goldsworthy for the link.