Horror Aficionados discussion

Dark and Distant Voices: A Story Collection
This topic is about Dark and Distant Voices
Group Reads: Guest Author Invite > June 2018 Group Read with Guest Author # 2, Tim Waggoner

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1559 comments Mod
This is the thread for our Group Read with Guest Author, Tim Waggoner. For June, we'll be reading Tim's anthology of creepy tales, Dark and Distant Voices. To join us in this read, you can click on the link below to pick up Tim's book and please help me welcome, Tim Waggoner!

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Distant-V...

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6441 comments Mod
Welcome to HA, Tim! Thank you for joining us--I'm looking forward to your collection!

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments I've downloaded the book, now all I have to do is grab some time to read it! Looks like a fabulous collection, Tim and I'm looking forward to it :)

message 4: by Ami (new)

Ami | 210 comments Hi Tim! :D I am a big fan of your work already! Loved the Nekropolis series and your Supernatural novels. :D Thank you for joining us!

Latasha (latasha513) | 11284 comments Mod
hello and thank you Tim.

message 6: by Sheri (new) - added it

Sheri | 42 comments Hiya Tim & welcome! I am looking forward to diving into ‘Dark and Distant Voices’. Sounds like a good time ;)

message 7: by Tim (new)

Tim Waggoner | 7 comments Hi, everyone! Thanks for the welcome, and I'm excited you're going to be reading my book. I hope you all enjoy it!

message 8: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3741 comments Mod
Huge fan! This will be so great.

Tim,
Will this be available in a physical format soon?

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim Waggoner | 7 comments Kimberly wrote: "Tim,
Will this be available in a physical format soon?"

The trade paperback is now available from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1938644255/...

Tim wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Tim,
Will this be available in a physical format soon?"

The trade paperback is now available from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1938644255/......"

Thanks, Tim--all I was coming up with was the kindle version. :)

message 12: by Char (new) - added it

Char  | 16828 comments Mod
Hello Tim! Welcome to HA and thanks for coming!

Ordered! I'll definitely be participating here. :)

I just bought mine and will be starting it as soon as I finish my current read.

I began tonight. I've read the first story so far. What was she?!

I really enjoyed the first story (even though GRs isn't showing my updates--LOL!) It keeps you thinking long after...

message 17: by Tim (new)

Tim Waggoner | 7 comments Latasha wrote: "I began tonight. I've read the first story so far. What was she?!"

The first part of the story is true. I did drop my daughter off at middle school and on the way home saw a girl walking on the sidewalk who, for an instant, I thought was my daughter. I wrote the story when the #yesallwomen discussions were going on. Those discussions inspired me to write a story about men's fear of women's sexuality, and I used the experience of dropping my daughter off at school as a basis for the story. The daughter is a metaphor for the story's theme.

message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim Waggoner | 7 comments Kimberly wrote: "I really enjoyed the first story (even though GRs isn't showing my updates--LOL!) It keeps you thinking long after..."

I'm glad the story kept you thinking! I think the most effective horror stories linger in the mind long after you read the last line.

How cool!

Tim wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I really enjoyed the first story (even though GRs isn't showing my updates--LOL!) It keeps you thinking long after..."

I'm glad the story kept you thinking! I think the most effec..."

That's exactly how I feel--If I still think back on parts of a story--out of the blue--weeks later, it's usually a five star read for me. :)

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Thoroughly enjoying this collection, Tim. The first story got me completely hooked and there hasn't been one I haven't liked since. One of my favourites though is Day 12. The idea of a plane developing conscious thought. Wow, that was a stunner!

message 22: by Tim (new)

Tim Waggoner | 7 comments Catherine wrote: "Thoroughly enjoying this collection, Tim. The first story got me completely hooked and there hasn't been one I haven't liked since. One of my favourites though is Day 12. The idea of a plane develo..."

I'm glad you enjoyed that one! I wrote it during a plane flight to one convention or another. Probably a World Horror Convention. I wanted to write a story but didn't have an idea, so I looked around and decided to just start writing about the plane and the passengers. "Day 12" was the result.

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Tim wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Thoroughly enjoying this collection, Tim. The first story got me completely hooked and there hasn't been one I haven't liked since. One of my favourites though is Day 12. The idea..."
It certainly worked - bet it made for a scary plane flight though!

I really enjoyed Blood and Bone as well as waters edge. Yay for that one!!!!

Cleaning up was good too.

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Finished it and there wasn't one story I didn't love. They were all so different. So difficult to pick one favourite but I do keep coming back to Day 12 - especially now I know where you were when you wrote it! The Goggen was a new and terrifying monster - glad there's only one of them at any one time ;) and Skywatching rounded everything off perfectly. Reviews posted. 5 stars all round. Thank you, Tim for providing such excellent reading.

I'm still in the early parts of it, but haven't come across a story I didn't like yet. :)

message 28: by Tim (new)

Tim Waggoner | 7 comments Catherine wrote: "Finished it and there wasn't one story I didn't love. They were all so different. So difficult to pick one favourite but I do keep coming back to Day 12 - especially now I know where you were when ..."

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

message 29: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 1559 comments Mod
Tim, what do you have in store for us fans for the rest of 2018 and beyond?

message 30: by Tim (new)

Tim Waggoner | 7 comments I have a horror novel called THE MOUTH OF THE DARK coming out from Flame Tree Press in September. In February, I'll have SUPERNATURAL: THE CHILDREN OF ANUBIS out. I'll have a "nonfiction" travel guide to SUPERNATURAL out sometime in 2019. Right now I'm finishing up a new monster book for Severed Press called BLOOD ISLAND. Then I'll start a new horror novel for Flame Tree Press called THEY KILL. Then after that, I have another media tie-in novel to write. I can't say which property it is, but it's one that I haven't worked with before, and monsters are involved!

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Tim wrote: "I have a horror novel called THE MOUTH OF THE DARK coming out from Flame Tree Press in September. In February, I'll have SUPERNATURAL: THE CHILDREN OF ANUBIS out. I'll have a "nonfiction" travel gu..."
Wow, Tim! You're in a for a busy year :)