The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 25.1 - Andy P's Task: Remembering Sue Grafton

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 25, 2018 04:25PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
25.1 Andy P’s Task: Remembering Sue Grafton

General requirements
1.This is a two book task. Read one book which fulfills the requirements for Book 1, and another which fulfills the requirements for Book 2.
2. No book which has children’s as a main page genre may be used for this task.
3. The total page count for both books must be in excess of 600 pages (at least 601).
4. Each book must be written by a single author.

Sue Grafton was one of the first writers to feature a strong female protagonist, Kinsey Millhone, a private detective. Her series of what came to be known as The Alphabet Mysteries almost made it through the alphabet. Grafton never allowed any of her books to be made into movies and kept her protagonist living in the 1980’s because she felt that that the activities that Kinsey engaged in required that her sleuth remain youthful.
In Grafton’s honor I have created the following task:

Book 1. Read a book in which the author’s initials can be found in SUEGRAFTON. All initials count.

Book 2. Read a book whose title does NOT contain any of the letters in the phrase ONLY NO Z (LNOYZ). Subtitles can be ignored.

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3691 comments This is mine

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3691 comments This is mine too

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim | 694 comments Will this work for book 2? Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer

Thank you.

message 6: by Bea (last edited May 26, 2018 03:40AM) (new)

Bea | 4261 comments Kim wrote: "Will this work for book 2? Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer

Thank you."

Kim, I'm not the task creator, but I noticed that your title has an O and a Z. I found it hard myself to find a book that did not have an O or an N in the title.

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3691 comments Kim wrote: "Will this work for book 2? Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer

Thank you."

I think Bea is correct, the subtitle is everything after the colon, not comma. So Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer is the title.
Sorry.
Andy

message 8: by Pia (last edited May 27, 2018 10:33AM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Great task. I'm a big Sue Grafton fan myself.

And if it's ok, I'll read a Sue Grafton book for option 1, the only one by her still on my TBR list:

Kinsey and Me Stories by Sue Grafton

Also, for book 2, can we use one word titles?

message 9: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Pia wrote: "Great task. I'm a big Sue Grafton fan myself.

And if it's ok, I'll read a Sue Grafton book for option 1, the only one by her still on my TBR list:

Als..."

i don't think the number of words in the title matters I intend to use a single word title

message 10: by Andy (last edited May 27, 2018 12:27PM) (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3691 comments Pia wrote: "Great task. I'm a big Sue Grafton fan myself.

Als..."

Yes Obviously Sue Grafton's initials are in her name. and one word titles are ok as long as they do not contain any of these letters ONLYZ
I've read all of her books as well. In fact I was reading Y when I learned of her death. My first thought was There will be no Z.
Andy

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7922 comments Andy - this task is kicking my ass! i like it!

message 12: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 787 comments Does Ilona Andrews count as a single author?

message 13: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3691 comments Cathy wrote: "Does Ilona Andrews count as a single author?"

Not sure, I need a moderator's call on this one.
Andy

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16715 comments Mod
Andy wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Does Ilona Andrews count as a single author?"

Andy"

Since we go by the author name as shown on GR, I would call this a single author.

message 15: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3691 comments Sandy wrote: "Andy wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Does Ilona Andrews count as a single author?"

Andy"

Since we go by the author name as shown on GR, I wo..."

Thanks for your help, Sandy
Andy

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Pardon me for constantly asking dumb questions but I already made about three mistakes when filling my tasks (caught it before posting so yay for that).

This works for book2, correct?

Educated: A Memoir

message 17: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3691 comments Nicole wrote: "Pardon me for constantly asking dumb questions but I already made about three mistakes when filling my tasks (caught it before posting so yay for that).

This works for book2, correct?

[book:Educa..."

Yes it works because the subtitle(Words after the colon) do not count.

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Andy wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Pardon me for constantly asking dumb questions but I already made about three mistakes when filling my tasks (caught it before posting so yay for that).

This works for book2, correc..."
That is what I thought but I kept questioning myself and wanting to be sure! Thank you! I found another book I wanted to fit in so I moved some things around!

message 19: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 632 comments I have a question about the all initials count for task one - if the author's first name is just initials do they both count or is that only if they are using a middle initial? Aka would S.J. Frost work?

message 20: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3691 comments Shelby wrote: "I have a question about the all initials count for task one - if the author's first name is just initials do they both count or is that only if they are using a middle initial? Aka would [author:S...."
SJF are the initials so since there is no J in SUEGRAFTON it would not work. Sorry,Andy