YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Team Threads Archive > Team Clinton - Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 229 (229 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Fuzaila (last edited May 30, 2018 09:49PM) (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Team Clinton

Maica ✔
María ✔
ari. ✔
Zihan ✔
Keyona ✔
Fuzalia ✔
Robyn ✔

Team Reviews: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Team Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 2: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments

This will be a team reading challenge which will run from June 1st 2018, to June 30th 2018 inclusively. Results will be announced on July 1st 2018.

To complete this challenge, participants will be split into teams. Each team will read books of their own choice (which fit the challenge descriptions), and points will be awarded based on the length of the book, and whether you have buddy read your book. 50 bonus points are also awarded when all 100 descriptions have been completed. 

This challenge is based off the 50 states of America. There will be two descriptions for each state. The aim of the challenge is to read one book per description. Each description will only be available to complete once per team, but once all 100 hundred descriptions have been completed, you/your team can restart the list. 

message 3: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments

Alabama
- Read a book which has something yellow on the cover (Alabama is nicknamed the Yellowhammer state)
- Read a book with the letters "S", "H" and "A" in the title. (The song "Sweet Home Alabama" is a song by the band Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Alaska
- Read a book by "John Green" (John Green wrote the book "Looking for Alaska")
- Read a book with the letters "T", "A" and "X" in the title. (Alaska's biggest city, Anchorage, has been ranked as the most tax friendly city in the U.S.)

Arizona
- Read a book with wings on the cover. (The state capital is Phoenix, which is also the name of a mythical bird.)
- Read a book beginning with "P" (For the State Capital Phoenix)

Arkansas
- Read a book with "Hot" in the title. (Arkansas has a city called Hot Springs Village)
- Read a book where the main characters name begins with "A"

California
- Read a book with stars on the cover. (The states largest city Los Angeles, is home to Hollywood's Walk of Fame.)
- Read a book first published in 2007. (The Big Bang Theory is set in California, and it's pilot episode aired on September 24th 2007.)

Colorado
- Read a book with the letters "M", "O", "O", and "N" in the title. (Tim Allen was the voice behind "Buzz Lightyear" and was born in Colorado. The character name "Buzz Lightyear" was inspired by Buzz Aldrin, the second person to walk on the moon.)
- Read a book where the main character's name begins with "C"

Connecticut
- Read a book with "Girl" in the title. (The Gilmore Girls took place in Connecticut.)
- Read a book where the main character attends university. (Yale is in Connecticut.)

Delaware
- Read a book which starts with the letter "W" (Delaware's largest city is Wilmington)
- Read a book that's first in series. (Delaware is known as "The first state")

Florida
- Read a book with sunglasses on the cover. (Florida's nickname is The sunshine state)
- Read a book by an author who's last name begins with "D" (Disneyland is a popular tourist attraction in Florida.) 

Georgia
- Read a book which has a metal in the title. (Iron, Steel, Copper, Silver, Gold, ect.) (Georgia has a town called Iron City)
- Read a post-apocalyptic book. (The Walking Dead is filmed in Georgia.)

Hawaii
- Read a book which has "Heaven" or "Hell" in the title. (Bruno Mars was born here, and sang "Locked out of Heaven")
- Read a crime novel. (For Hawaii Five-O)

Idaho
- Read a book with food on the cover or in the title. (One of Idaho's nicknames is the potato state)
- Read a paranormal book. (Idaho has a city called Winchester. In the show Supernatural, the brothers surnames are Winchester.)

Illinois
- Read a book with "Pretty" in the title. (The first season of Prison Break was mainly filmed in Illinois largest city, Chicago, and the main character is often called "Pretty" by T-bag.)
- Read a book by an author who's first or last name starts with "V" (Veronica Roth's book, Divergent, was set in a post apocalyptic Chicago.)

Indiana
- Read a book which is part of a five book series. (Michael Jackson was born here, and was one fifth of the band "The Jackson Five")
- Read a book with a hat on the cover. (Indiana Jones shares the state's name.) 

Iowa
- Read a book first published in September (any year) (The name of Iowa's state capital was incorporated on September 22nd 1851, as "Fort Des Moines", which was shortened to "Des Moines" in 1857)
- Read a book where the main characters name begins with "I"

Kansas
- Read a book with red shoes on the cover. (The Wizard of Oz's Dorothy was from Kansas, and wore red shoes.)
- Read a book tagged as "LGBT" (Must be in the top 20 tags) (Eric Stonestreet was born here, and plays Cameron Tucker in Modern Family.)

Kentucky
- Read a book first published in June. (Any year) (The state was founded on June 1st, 1792)
- Read a book where the main characters name begins with "K"

Louisiana
- Read a book with the letters "B", "A", "L" and "L" in the title. (Louisiana has a town called Ball.)
- Read a book about witches. (The third season of American Horror Story took place in Louisiana, and was about a coven of witches.)

Maine
- Read a book that was first published in August. (Any year.) (The state capital is Augusta.)
- Read a horror novel. (Stephen King was born in Maine.)

Maryland
- Read a book with "Queen" in the title. (Maryland was named after the Queen Henrietta Maria of France)
- Read a new book (First published in 2018) (Maryland's biggest city is Baltimore. Randy Newman sang a song called "In Baltimore")

Massachusetts
- Read a book where the main character is an athlete. (Massachusetts state capital, Boston, is well known for it's marathons.)
- Read a book which has 600 pages or more. (A chunky book can seem just as long as the Boston marathon.)

Michigan
- Read a book with a vehicle on the cover. (Michigan's largest city, Detroit, is known as the car capital of the world)
- Read a book by an author who's last name is Jones. (Michigan has a city called Jonesville.)

Minnesota
- Read a book with a number in the title. (The state has a large number of lakes, and is known by the slogan "Land of 10,000 Lakes")
- Read a book about aliens. (Jason Behr was born here. He played an alien is Roswell.)

Mississippi
- Read a book where the main characters name begins with "J" (Mississippi's state capital is Jackson.)
- Read a book with an animal on the cover or in the title. (Elvis Presley was born here, and sang "Hound dog")

Missouri
- Read a book by an author who's initials are "J.C" (Missouri's state capital is Jefferson City)
- Read a book where the main characters name begins with "M"

Montana
- Read a book by an author who's first name starts with "H" (For Montana's State Capital Helena.)
- Read a book about wolves/shapeshifters. (Montana has a city called Wolf Point.)

Nebraska
- Read a book first published in March. (Any year) (The state was founded on March 1st, 1867)
- Read a contemporary novel. (Rainbow Rowell was born in Nebraska.)

Nevada
- Read a murder mystery. (Brandon Flowers was born here, and is part of the band "The Killers")
- Read a book by Nicholas Sparks. (There's a city in Nevada called Sparks.)

New Hampshire
- Read a book which has something green on the cover. (New Hampshire has cities called Greenfield, Greenland and Greenville)
- Read a book where the main characters name begins with "N"

New Jersey
- Read a book with "Love" in the title. (Whitney Houston was born here, and sang "I will always love you")
- Read a book which has a character with black hair on the cover. (Laura Prepon, from Orange is the new black and That 70's show, was born here)

New Mexico
- Read a book first published in October. (New Mexico's largest city, Albuquerque, is home to the international balloon fiesta, which takes place in October)
- Read a book with clouds on the cover. (New Mexico has a village called Cloudcroft.)

New York
- Read a book with the letters "S", "V" and "U" in the title. (Law and Order: Special Victim's Unit is set in New York)
- Read a book with a family member in the title. (Mother, Father, Daughter, Son, Sister, Brother, Husband, Wife, ect.) (How I Met Your Mother was set in New York.)

North Carolina
- Read a book with blood on the cover. (Michael C. Hall was born here, and played the titled character in "Dexter")
- Read a book where the main characters name features an "N" and a "C" (Can be anywhere in the first name.)

North Dakota
- Read a book with buildings on the cover. (North Dakota contains the tallest human-made structure in the Western Hemisphere)
- Read a book with trees on the cover. (North Dakota has cities called Northwood, Harwood, Underwood, Lidgerwood, Sherwood, Spiritwood lake, Briarwood, Woodworth and Forest River)

Ohio
- Read a book with an electronic device on the cover. (Ohio's state capital, Columbus, was ranked as the number one up and coming tech city in the nation, in 2008.)
- Read a book first published in July. (Any year) (Ohio has a city called Independence, and Independence day is in July.)

Oklahoma
- Read a book that features a love triangle. (There was one in the musical, Oklahoma!)

message 4: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Checking it! :) What are your reading plans for June?

message 5: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments So far the only books that I really really want to read this June are Lucky in Love by Kasie West My Plain Jane (The Lady Janies, #2) by Cynthia Hand There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2) by Renee Ahdieh Save the Date by Morgan Matson

message 6: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Hey Maica!
I have agreed to a number of Buddy reads that I'm not even sure I can get through lol

So far, its been like this
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare series, The Avery Shaw Experiment (Science Squad, #1) by Kelly Oram series, Burn for Burn (Burn for Burn, #1) by Jenny Han series,
A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas , A Girl Like That by Tanaz Bhathena , The Exact Opposite of Okay by Laura Steven , The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon , American Panda by Gloria Chao , Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven

message 7: by Fuzaila (last edited May 24, 2018 02:09AM) (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Also, I can read Lucky In Love with you if you want.
Besides, if other group members check in, we'll discuss how we'll tackle the categories and all. Excited to be part of this team :)

message 8: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments That sounds great! :D I was hoping to read it on June 1 but I'm flexible if you're not available on that day :)

I may also join you for American Panda by Gloria Chao !

message 9: by Zihan (last edited May 24, 2018 07:21PM) (new)

Zihan (rizareads) Hey Maica,

I'm still figuring out what books I'm interested in reading this month but I can read There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins with you if you'd like.

message 10: by Ari (new)

Ari (faeorphysicist) | 153 comments ola! I’m checking in :)

message 11: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Zihan wrote: "Hey Maica,

I'm still figuring out what books I'm interested in reading this month but I can read There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins with you if you'd like."

That sounds great! Me and my friend are BR it for June 6 :D

message 12: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments ari. wrote: "ola! I’m checking in :)"

Hellooooo! :)

message 13: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Hi guys so Natalie was kind enough to make another spreadsheet. So here's our spreadsheet for the month xD

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 14: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Hey Maica, how do we update the spreadsheet? I mean, I tried opening it in my phone and seems like I can only view it.

message 15: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments ari. wrote: "ola! I’m checking in :)"

Hello Ari!

message 16: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Maica wrote: "That sounds great! :D I was hoping to read it on June 1 but I'm flexible if you're not available on that day :)

I may also join you for American Panda by Gloria Chao!"

I have too many BRs at the time, but I think I'll try :) Can you please request a thread?

Sure, the threads already made, here -https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 18: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Fuzaila wrote: "Hey Maica, how do we update the spreadsheet? I mean, I tried opening it in my phone and seems like I can only view it."

I'm on a computer so I'm not sure why it doesn't work :/ It's set so that anybody with a link could edit. Can you send me your email so I can share the spreadsheet with you? Maybe that would work! :)

message 19: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Maica wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "Hey Maica, how do we update the spreadsheet? I mean, I tried opening it in my phone and seems like I can only view it."

I'm on a computer so I'm not sure why it doesn't work :/ It'..."

I think you have to have the sheets app to edit! ^^

message 20: by Zihan (last edited May 25, 2018 01:10AM) (new)

Zihan (rizareads) Maica wrote: "That sounds great! Me and my friend are BR it for June 6 :D"

Awesome!

But I just checked the spreadsheet -- does it fit the second description of the state Alabama? There's no "a" in the title...

message 21: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Zihan wrote: "Maica wrote: "That sounds great! Me and my friend are BR it for June 6 :D"

Awesome!

But I just checked the spreadsheet -- does it fit the second description of the state Alabama? There's no "a" i..."

Yup! There's another edition available where it has h a s in it ^^

message 22: by Zihan (new)

Zihan (rizareads) Maica wrote: "Zihan wrote: "Maica wrote: "That sounds great! Me and my friend are BR it for June 6 :D"

Awesome!

But I just checked the spreadsheet -- does it fit the second description of the state Alabama? Th..."

Great!

message 23: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Hey Zihan, I think someone requested for a buddy to read The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan in the BR thread. It was Ally I think. That could gain us some points if your joined :)

message 24: by Zihan (new)

Zihan (rizareads) Fuzaila wrote: "Hey Zihan, I think someone requested for a buddy to read The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan in the BR thread. It was Ally I think. That could gain us some points if your joined :)"

Thanks! I just messaged her. Also I'm a little inexperienced here, but if I am buddy reading with someone not on our team I still have to post my review on our team review thread right?

message 25: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Zihan wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "Hey Zihan, I think someone requested for a buddy to read The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan in the BR thread. It was Ally I think. That could gain us some points if..."

Yeah. You post the review as usual and link up the BR thread. Thats all :)

message 26: by Keyona (new)

Keyona | 462 comments Checking in!

message 27: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Hi, Keyona! :D

What are your reading plans for June?

message 28: by Keyona (last edited May 30, 2018 03:05PM) (new)

Keyona | 462 comments Hey Maica!

I'm still combing through the list but so far this is what I have:

The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy ] The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid Fire Sermon by Jamie Quatro Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2) by V.E. Schwab Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward The Mars Room by Rachel Kushner Fruit of the Drunken Tree by Ingrid Rojas Contreras

If anyone is interested in buddy reading let me know!

message 29: by María (new)

María | 2107 comments Checking in! Hi everyone :)

message 30: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Hy Guys! Finally we're all here 😊

message 31: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments @Keyona, I think we agreed on a buddy read but I'm not sure you replied. I'll check and tell you xD

message 32: by ✦ Maica ✦ (last edited May 30, 2018 09:57PM) (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments @Keyona - Mind if I join you for The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo? I've been wanting to read that for a while now :D

message 33: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments I'm so excited for June xD It's already May 31st here so I have less than 12 hours before June 1.

message 34: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Yup its the 31st here too. I'm trying not to freak out and I'm going to finish off everything else I'm doing! Like, its super exciting omg xD

message 35: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Fuzaila wrote: "Yup its the 31st here too. I'm trying not to freak out and I'm going to finish off everything else I'm doing! Like, its super exciting omg xD"

Goodluck with your other books! I'll be starting with Lucky in Love and I'm so excited xD

message 36: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Thanks! Good luck everyone!

message 37: by Fuzaila (last edited May 31, 2018 12:39AM) (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Also, I've updated the sheet with most of my reads and claimed my categories. We could discuss more if anyone wants to switch or something xD

message 38: by Keyona (new)

Keyona | 462 comments @Maica Awesome! Zihan and I are starting it tomorrow. Here's the thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

@Fuzaila Did we? For what book?

message 39: by Zihan (new)

Zihan (rizareads) OK 1 hour and 15 minutes more it'll be June 1st for me! So excited!

message 40: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Keyona wrote: "@Maica Awesome! Zihan and I are starting it tomorrow. Here's the thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

@Fuza..."

It was ACOTAR

message 41: by Keyona (new)

Keyona | 462 comments Ah...I must have missed the response. And now I'm pretty full for June. I'm sorry!

message 42: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Keyona wrote: "@Maica Awesome! Zihan and I are starting it tomorrow. Here's the thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

@Fuza..."

Yay thanks! :D

message 43: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments I just finished Listen to Your Heart! It only counts for a the page points though because I started it on May :D

message 44: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Keyona wrote: "Ah...I must have missed the response. And now I'm pretty full for June. I'm sorry!"

Oh thats fine! Some others are doing it too :)

message 45: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Maica wrote: "I just finished Listen to Your Heart! It only counts for a the page points though because I started it on May :D"

That's great anyhow. I'll finish reading Lucky in Love soon :)

message 46: by Zihan (new)

Zihan (rizareads) @Roybn can you please add the books to the spreadsheet?

message 47: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Robyn wrote: "Idaho by Emily Ruskovich
I will also be reading this book to cover the state of Idaho.

Looking for Alaska by John Green
To cover the state of Alaska.

Loved (House of Night Other World #1) by P.C. Cast
I would li..."

Hey Robyn, I don't think it works that way. There are two descriptions for each state, which is what we need to be reading for. And its not about books that are set in those states as far as I know

message 48: by ✦ Maica ✦ (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Yup, Fuzaila is right :) You don't necessarily need to read books set in those states, you just need to read a book that fits the description that Sarah and Abbie gave.

For example:
Alabama - Read a book which has something yellow on the cover. In order to cross this one out, I decided to read Lucky in Love by Kasie West because the main character is blonde and there's yellow shoes on the cover. Hope this helps! :D

message 49: by ✦ Maica ✦ (last edited Jun 01, 2018 05:18AM) (new)

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments Hey guys! I hope you don't mind but I color codded the ss :) I marked all the books that we're currently reading yellow and all the finished books as green. That way we can see each other's progress ^^

message 50: by Zihan (new)

Zihan (rizareads) Thanks Maica! One suggestion -- can we perhaps just color the book title cells and leave the color of the reader unchanged? With so many books it might get confusing over time (like sometimes I can't even find what books I put on the list lol).

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.