The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 30.6 - Ava Catherine's Task: Aida

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 24, 2018 09:51AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5312 comments Mod
30.6 - Ava Catherine’s Task: Aida

This is a two book task. Read one book from two different options.

REQUIRED: Identify which options you select when you post.
No books with the genre Childrens or Kids may be used.

Having been introduced to opera at an early age by my Italian grandfather, it has become a true joy in my life. After experiencing Aida for the first time during my early teens, it has remained one of my favorites.

Aida by Giuseppe Verdi
Isma’il Pasha, Khedive of Egypt, commissioned Verdi to compose an opera to celebrate the opening of the Khedivial Opera House. Aida premiered in Cairo on December 24, 1871, to great acclaim. Verdi considered the Italian premiere, held at La Scala, Milan on February 8, 1872, the real premiere, especially because it was open to the general public, which had not been the case in Cairo. Aida was received with great enthusiasm in Milan and was soon performed in major opera houses throughout Italy.

Book 1: Setting
Aida is set in Ancient Egypt, and, of course, Verdi was Italian.
*Read a book with the main page genre Middle East or Italy. Genre may be stand alone or embedded.

Book 2: Composer
*Read a book written by a male author whose first and last name initials can be found in the words GIUSEPPE VERDI. Middle name initials may be ignored. Letters may only be used as often as they appear. Spaces determine name. One qualifying author in a work by multiple contributors works.

Book 3: Aida/Amneris: female lead characters
Aida is an Ethiopian princess, whom the Egyptians hold captive, and Amneris is the daughter of the Egyptian king; both are in love with Radames.
*Read a book written by a female author whose first and last name initials can be found in the words AIDA AMNERIS. Middle name initials may be ignored. Letters may only be used as often as they appear. Spaces determine name. One qualifying author in a work by multiple contributors works.

Book 4: War
In Aida the ancient Egyptians are at war with the Ethiopians.
*Read a book with the main page genre war or historical fiction. Genre may be stand alone or embedded.

Book 5: Italian
My Italian grandfather taught me to love opera and all things Italian. I am so grateful for his patience and this special gift.
*Read a book set at least 50% in Italy or by an author born or currently living in Italy.
REQUIRED: If it is not apparent from the description or metadata, please provide a reference for the setting or author’s birthplace/current location.

message 2: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments *

message 3: by Ava Catherine (new)

message 4: by Ava Catherine (new)

message 5: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5312 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 6: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 357 comments Just to check, would Ilona Andrews count as a female author? It's a joint penname, so I'm not quite sure.

message 7: by Ava Catherine (last edited May 24, 2018 08:24AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Siobhan wrote: "Just to check, would Ilona Andrews count as a female author? It's a joint penname, so I'm not quite sure."

Since this appears as a joint pen name, it would be better if you could find a stand alone female author. I hope you can use this author team for another task.

message 8: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Johnson | 357 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Just to check, would Ilona Andrews count as a female author? It's a joint penname, so I'm not quite sure."

Since this appears as a joint pen name, it would be better..."

Nope, that's fine! There are plenty of other tasks still to be posted, after all. :) Thank you for confirming it for me!

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3971 comments Please confirm HISTORICAL FICTION (Option 4) for
Bitter Grounds by Sandra Benítez -and- Days Without End by Sebastian Barry (which also has 'WAR')

Not sure where I'll put these but I have to read both for two different F2F book club meeting in June ...

message 10: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Please confirm HISTORICAL FICTION (Option 4) for
Bitter Grounds by Sandra Benítez -and- Days Without End by Sebastian Barry (which also has 'WAR')

Not sure where I'll put these but I have to re..."

Both books are confirmed as historical fiction, and the second book Days Without End is also confirmed for mpg war.

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 1070 comments Can you confirm if this book would work for the Setting Option

River God

message 12: by Ash (new)

Ash (essentiallyash) | 63 comments Hi! For option the male author would R.L. Stine work?

Thanks!

message 13: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jun 01, 2018 04:46PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Joanne wrote: "Can you confirm if this book would work for the Setting Option

River God"

Book 1 requires mpg Middle East or Italy; however, this book has neither although it appears that it is set in Egypt. Maybe you could use it for Book 4 since your book does have a mpg historical fiction.

message 14: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jun 01, 2018 04:52PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Ashlea wrote: "Hi! For option the male author would R.L. Stine work?

Thanks!"

Yes, it works for Book 2 because there is an R and an S in Giuseppe Verdi. Be careful that you don’t select a book with children’s or kids as mpg.

message 15: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 1070 comments Sorry if this a silly question-but this only my second full challenge and I just want to be sure: The author of this bookThe Tiger's Daughter K. Arsenault Rivera uses only an inital for

message 16: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Can you please confirm, for Option 1, Italy as mpg:

Blood from a Stone (Commissario Brunetti, #14) by Donna Leon

Excursion to Tindari (Inspector Montalbano, #5) by Andrea Camilleri

Thanks!

message 17: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jun 02, 2018 01:16PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Joanne wrote: "Sorry if this a silly question-but this only my second full challenge and I just want to be sure: The author of this bookThe Tiger's Daughter K. Arsenault Rivera u..."

Never a silly question. We all help each other.
You will use the first letter of the author’s first name, and since you have an initial only, that initial k will be the first letter of the first name.
R, of course, is the first letter of the last name; therefore your author’s initials are KR.

message 18: by Ava Catherine (last edited Jun 02, 2018 01:10PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Pia wrote: "Can you please confirm, for Option 1, Italy as mpg:

Blood from a Stone (Commissario Brunetti, #14) by Donna Leon

Excursion to Tindari (Inspector Montalbano, #5) by Andrea Camilleri

Thanks!"

Both books are confirmed for mpg Italy; Option 1.

message 19: by LouLouReads (new)

LouLouReads | 237 comments Please could you confirm Testament of Youth for mpg war?

Thanks.

message 20: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments LouLouReads wrote: "Please could you confirm Testament of Youth for mpg war?

Thanks."

Confirmed for mpg war; book 4.

message 21: by Bianca (last edited Jun 15, 2018 10:33PM) (new)

Bianca Rose (biancarose) | 249 comments Please could you please confirm The Great Alone for historical fiction? Thanks!

message 22: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Bianca wrote: "Please could you please confirm The Great Alone for historical fiction? Thanks!"

Confirmed historical fiction

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7887 comments Can I get White Chrysanthemum approves for historical fiction?

message 24: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Dee wrote: "Can I get White Chrysanthemum approves for historical fiction?"

Approved for historical fiction

message 25: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Please verify The Ugly Duchess for historical fiction.

message 26: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "Please verify The Ugly Duchess for historical fiction."

Confirmed historical fiction

message 27: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1800 comments Does this work for book 1? It has a main page genre of Israel, which is part of the Middle East.If All the Seas Were Ink: A Memoir

message 28: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Cindie wrote: "Does this work for book 1? It has a main page genre of Israel, which is part of the Middle East.If All the Seas Were Ink: A Memoir"

I am so sorry, it must state mpg Middle East. This is a lovely book, and I hope you can make it work for another task.

message 29: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1800 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Cindie wrote: "Does this work for book 1? It has a main page genre of Israel, which is part of the Middle East.If All the Seas Were Ink: A Memoir"

I am so sorry, it must state mpg M..."

That's ok -- thanks for your prompt response!!!

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7887 comments can I get Daring the Highlander locked in for historical fiction? it has 17ppl right now

message 31: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Sorry, I didn’t see this Dee. I see your historical fiction mpg held. Glad it held on.