World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > First floating country - would you sell and relocate?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16061 comments Not a colonization of Mars yet, but maybe of the ocean, as the first floating country is announced to be launched in 4 years from now in the Pacifics:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetec...
One of the declared aims is 'to liberate humanity from politicians'.
Anyhow, do you find the proposed lifestyle attractive? Would you try something like this?

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11780 comments It could be risky - either you will be paying an awful lot for fuel or you could drift into someone else's territory, or worse into the cyclone zone

message 3: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6172 comments Well, it's a pretty cool idea. It's not a land mass, so has political independence as long as it's more than 12 miles from land. But my question, which isn't answered in the article, is about how the colony is tethered to the ocean floor so that it doesn't just float away. And you can break off from the colony if you want, but does that mean that you just float away on the ocean without any control? Some unanswered questions here.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11780 comments Scout, I am not sure you can tether it in the deep ocean, and I think you have to be 200 miles to get out of an economic exclusion zone.

message 5: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6172 comments So this isn't a workable idea as presented? Do read the article.

message 6: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments I'm unsure how it might cope with cyclonic storms or other inclement weather. I couldn't see how it might be tethered in the article.

As Ian said, in very deep water, it might not be possible.

It's certainly interesting - at least as a concept.

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Not for me.

Nope.

Never.