Play Book Tag discussion

Philip Roth
This topic is about Philip Roth
Footnotes 2017-2018 > Philip Roth has died.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (last edited May 22, 2018 09:00PM) (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments I just saw this article pop up on my news feed. A sad day for the literary community.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/ob...

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6847 comments The only one I read was Portnoy's Complaint, as a young feminist in the early '70s this perhaps was not the best book of his to read as it put me off of him forever. I have a few on my tbr and need to pardon him for that and read them.

message 3: by Sushicat (last edited May 22, 2018 09:59PM) (new)

Sushicat | 805 comments I only read Everyman and could not rate it. I loved the writing and hated the story. I do have a couple on the wishlist.

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments I have a love/hate going with his books. I despised Portnoy and The Breast. I don’t care for his early work much at all. But his later work, at least the ones I’ve read, have been better. Nemesis was particularly good.

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I was really sad when I saw this in the paper. I still need to read the article but I have been swallowed up by work. I recently finished The Plot Against American which I liked. I also read American Pastoral which is my favorite so far.

message 6: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7460 comments I can't remember if I've read any of those books, although it's fully possible I did many years ago. However, from what I'm reading, I think that this is a writer whose books I would have liked only as a teen or my very early 20s.