What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Daughter of Darkness
This topic is about Daughter of Darkness
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Novel about young girl, Willie, with paranormal powers, who uses them in her own interests with serious results. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 141 comments I think I read this in the mid-80s, best I can remember.

The main character is a girl called Willie, which is short for Willamina. She was named after her mother and chose the nickname from a poem; it's important to her sense of individuality.

She has magical powers. There's a scene early on where her headmistress thinks she sees her sitting in a tree when she's meant to be in class, but other people vouch for her having been in class the whole time; Willie actually did this with astral projection. I can't remember what else she does in the early part of the book, but then she starts manoeuvring in some way to try to get her father to take her on a trip with him; I think she tries making her mother ill so that she can't go.

(spoilers)

As I recall, things backfire horribly and her mother dies. Part 1 of the book ends with Willie, very shaken, writing in her diary a promise to be good, and with the line 'And Willie was good. For two whole years.'

In Part 2, her father becomes romantically involved with someone else and wants to remarry; Willie curses her. Her uncle (John? Jim?) figures out what Willie is doing and uses magical powers to attack Willie in turn, to get her to stop. Willie eventually gives in and transfers the curse to a doll that she burns in order to get rid of the curse. I remember the ceremony being described in detail and including the fact that she had to light the fire by rubbing two sticks together until they ignited.

I believe at the end of the book Willie magically killed her uncle so that she could go on and do what she wanted. There's a hint at the end that she's pretending to be her mother in order to commit incest with her father.

message 2: by Juels (last edited May 22, 2018 03:29PM) (new)

Juels | 2566 comments I haven't found it yet but I think I found a reference to it in Cosmopolitan.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ic1...

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (drsarah) | 141 comments Oh, brilliant - you nailed it! I found the Wikipaedia article about 'Daughter of Darkness' and I'm sure it's the right book. The quote you found in Cosmo is from the book as well. Thanks!

message 5: by Juels (new)

Juels | 2566 comments You're welcome.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Daughter of Darkness (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

J.R. Lowell (other topics)