What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Just to chat > How to keep Read books from influencing Recommended?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige (new)

Paige | 794 comments If this doesn't belong here, just let me know and I'll delete it. I'm wondering if there's a way to keep individual books that I've Read from influencing the site's Recommendations. I'm an adult, and although I really enjoyed reading Ellen Melon and Herb The Vegetarian Dragon out loud to the kids at the local library, and although I really loved Bread and Jam for Frances and Owl Moon and such when I was a child, I really don't care to have similar picture books Recommended to me as potential reading material for me now. Is there a way to fix this?

message 2: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 103 comments First off, where are you seeing the recommendations? There are a few spots and they don't all use the same criteria.

For the normal Recommendations engine (go to Browse and then Recommendations), I personally base mine on shelves other than just Read.

In my case, I have non exclusive folders based on genres and I get recommendations on those non exclusive shelves. I usually have recommendations turned off. This method works really well for me.

I do not view Recommendations based upon Goodreads genres. Those are crowd sourced and I long ago lost faith in any form of accuracy in how those are setup.

For the Recommendations you see on the Home page, that works on different criteria and I am unsure on what all it is based. As I rarely ever go to the Home page, and because my setup gives me the 2 column display, I almost never see that section anymore.

You might try creating a exclusive shelf for those types of books and put them on there instead of Read. I don't know if this will work however.