Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3673 comments New York city police shoot and kill unarmed black man

Police shot and killed an unarmed black man in his own backyard

Fatal police shooting of unarmed black man in Walmart lot

Texas: protest planned for unarmed black man killed by police officer

Police officer chokes black man following verbal dispute at Waffle House

A homeless black man was jailed after trying to eat at a Burger King

Black men kicked out of gym detail ‘humiliating’ encounter

Real life headlines, like those above, are the backdrop of Angie Thomas’ debut novel The Hate U Give. Topical and timely, her story’s protagonist tackles issues of race identity and discrimination, further exacerbated by tragic circumstances.

Starr is 16-years-old and straddling two worlds; the poor black neighborhood she lives in, Garden Heights, and the predominately white prep school she attends in the affluent suburbs of Williamson. After her childhood friend Khalil is killed by a cop right in front of her, she must find the strength to defend his posthumous reputation and stand against police brutality.

The Hate U Give is an important book for the times, one that addresses many aspects of the Black Lives Matter movement; dealing with the anger of generations of discrimination and systematic oppression, understanding the role and responsibility of an individuals’ contribution to fighting against the system, the right and wrong ways of protest.

The Hate U Give is thought-provoking and insightful for people disconnected from the struggles of racial oppression, but also a familiar and sympathetic voice for those directly effected by it. Although the subject matter is highly controversial, the book is ultimately promoting healthy discourse to work toward lasting solutions. Pretty heavy for a YA novel, but important, honest, and raw. Other recent releases handle similar topics – Jason Reynold’s Long Way Down and Jewell Parker Rhodes’ Ghost Boys comes to mind – so hopefully the trend continues and promotes discourse among youth and adults alike.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Another 5 star review for this!

Anyone read Dear Martin yet?

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I also have raved about this book and recommended it to everyone! And, Angie Thomas has a new book coming out next year that is already on my TBR: On the Come Up!

I have not read Dear Martin yet, but it have noticed it a couple of times. I am also interested if anyone here has read it?

message 4: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1662 comments Great review!!! I agree with the 5 stars. I'll be adding her new book to my TBR, thanks!!

message 5: by Meli (last edited May 22, 2018 10:25AM) (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3673 comments I have not read Dear Martin yet, but definitely interested.
I would like to read Ghost Boys first though as it sounds like a very clever plot device and I am curious how it is executed.

I saw Angie Thomas has a new one out and I am so excited!

message 6: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Meli wrote: "I have not read Dear Martin yet, but definitely interested.
I would like to read Ghost Boys first though as it sounds like a very clever plot device and I am curious how it is executed.

I saw An..."

Now I am off to see what Ghost Boys is...

message 7: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3673 comments Another interesting read, potentially, which deals with racial issues...

New Boy by Tracy Chevalier.
This is a Hogarth Shakespeare book, a modern adaptation of Othello set in 1970's Washington.

message 8: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1662 comments One that is on my TBR is Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race. Both this one and The Hate U Give have been recent Emma Watson suggestions and are both highly rated.

message 9: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3673 comments Yes! I wanna read that too! And also, Things That Make White People Uncomfortable by Michael Bennett.
Read a good blurb about it in New York Times book review.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9324 comments I also gave this book a five star review! Without question. So glad you loved it too.

message 11: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3673 comments I heard about this book on Book Riot "All the Books" podcast this morning that is also about the black experience that sounds great, so I wanted to share in this thread...

Anger Is a Gift by Mark Oshiro

message 12: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 433 comments I also loved this book!

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lane (mbailey13) | 6 comments I agree, this book was great! I can't wait for her next book.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Such a great review. I can't wait to read this book.

message 15: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Meli wrote: "Yes! I wanna read that too! And also, Things That Make White People Uncomfortable by Michael Bennett.
Read a good blurb about it in New York Times book review."

OMG HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT MICHAEL BENNETT WROTE A BOOK!???!

Great suggestions for future reads in this thread!

message 16: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3673 comments I think Michael Bennett's book just came out this month so you found out just in time :)

Eagles fan?

message 17: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Meli wrote: "I think Michael Bennett's book just came out this month so you found out just in time :)

Eagles fan?"

Seahawks. It's gonna be weird not seeing him on the field with us this upcoming season.

message 18: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3673 comments Joi wrote: "Meli wrote: "I think Michael Bennett's book just came out this month so you found out just in time :)

Eagles fan?"

Seahawks. It's gonna be weird not seeing him on the field with us this upcoming..."

Ah, that was my next guess... sorry for your loss :(

FYI - https://bookriot.com/2018/05/24/the-h...

Exciting!

message 19: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1662 comments Joi wrote: "Meli wrote: "I think Michael Bennett's book just came out this month so you found out just in time :)

Eagles fan?"

Seahawks. It's gonna be weird not seeing him on the field with us this upcoming..."

Not sure if you live near Seattle but I just got a notification that Michael Bennett will be doing a two night event (it sold out the 1st night so they are adding a 2nd) with him doing readings from his book and talking about it, June 18th and 19th.

message 20: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I live in Oregon, but thanks for letting me know. I wish I could go!!