What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Whaleboat House
This topic is about The Whaleboat House
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Crime novel circa 2000-2010. US coastal setting, male protagonist, cover has image of wooden cladding painted white. Title may contain the word Shack and/or mention of the sea [s]

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments I picked up this book at my parents' house sometime in the mid 2000s, but only read the first few chapters. Parents no longer have the book and don't remember it - probably borrowed from the library - so they can't help me identify it.

It was a pretty cliched crime novel set in a seaside town in the US (can't be more specific about location unfortunately). The main character was a divorced middle-aged man who had a difficult relationship with his ex wife, and at least one teenage daughter. I think the book was told in the first person from his perspective, but I don't remember if he was the policeman investigating a crime, or if he was the victim of the crime (possibly both?) He was a bit of a stereotypical grouchy loner.

I don't remember the crime that the book revolved around, as I stopped reading early on. I do remember that the book cover had an image of very weathered white painted wooden cladding on a building, possibly some kind of seaside shack or beach hut. I also think the title may have contained the word Shack or some other reference to either the building or the seaside.

Probably a male author but I'm not 100% on that.

That's all the information I have, sorry it's a bit limited but hoping it might ring a bell with someone.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Was this part of a series?

message 3: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments Tab, as far as I'm aware it was a standalone novel.

message 4: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
The Shack?

message 5: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments Andria, I did come across that book while searching but I'm 99% sure it's not what I am looking for. The cover doesn't look familiar, and the book I remember didn't have any religious themes.
Thanks for the suggestion though!

message 6: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
hah, it was too obvious not to suggest! It was one of those books that nearly everyone's parents owned in the mid-aughts.

message 7: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments There's this, but the cover doesn't match and the plot isn't an exact match either, so I don't have high hopes: The Bait Shack The Bait Shack by Harry Hughes

message 8: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments Adele, I don't think this is what I'm looking for either, but thank you for the suggestion.

message 9: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments bump

message 10: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments Another bit of a stretch - possibly this edition of Duma Key Duma Key by Stephen King The main character is divorced and has two daughters.

message 11: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments Thanks Adele for the suggestion, but it's not what I'm looking for.

message 12: by Kris (last edited Aug 01, 2018 12:15PM) (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
The Winter of Frankie Machine by Don Winslow turned up while searching. It has multiple cover images but the ones posted on Goodreads don't match your description. Could the male protagonist have been a retired hit man/assassin?

message 13: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments The Last Refuge The Last Refuge by Chris Knopf seems like it might be a possibility. Grouchy man with ex-wife and daughter lives in a bay-side cottage and investigates a crime.

message 14: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments Thanks for the suggestions, Kris and Adele. Unfortunately I don't think either of these is the book I am looking for.

message 15: by Melody (new)

Melody Kemble | 31 comments May I suggest the Jesse Stone novels by Robert B Parker. He's a grouchy lone police chief in a small coastal town who has an ex wife.

message 16: by Kell I Am (new)

Kell I Am | 187 comments Jesse Stone doesn't have kids, and I know for 100% certainty that what she described isn't a Jesse Stone book.

message 17: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments I don't think it's from that series, Melody, but thanks for the suggestion.

message 18: by Rachel (new) - added it

message 19: by Rachel (new) - added it

message 20: by Rachel (new) - added it

message 21: by Rachel (new) - added it

message 22: by Rachel (last edited Feb 25, 2019 03:43AM) (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments seaside shack mystery bump

message 23: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments seaside shack bump

message 24: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 127 comments was it set in Florida?

message 25: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments Fresno Bob, I really couldn't say. It could have been Florida, but I'm a Brit and my US geography is pretty poor! Definitely a coastal town/city but I can't be more specific than that.

message 26: by Kajehas (new)

Kajehas | 45 comments Rachel wrote: "I picked up this book at my parents' house sometime in the mid 2000s, but only read the first few chapters. Parents no longer have the book and don't remember it - probably borrowed from the librar..."

The character could match this series, but the covers don't match. Here are a couple of the books: Fall from Grace by L.R. Wright

Strangers Among Us by L.R. Wright

The Suspect (Karl Alberg #1) by L.R. Wright

message 27: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments Thanks for the suggestions, Kajehas, but none of these is the book I am looking for.

message 28: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 127 comments Rachel wrote: "Fresno Bob, I really couldn't say. It could have been Florida, but I'm a Brit and my US geography is pretty poor! Definitely a coastal town/city but I can't be more specific than that."

were there alligators in it?

message 29: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments I do not remember any alligators. Then again, I did not finish reading the book.

message 30: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments seaside shack mystery bump

message 31: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments seaside shack detective bump

message 32: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments Here's a guess: Flesh and Blood This is the cover I'm thinking of: Flesh and Blood (Frank Elder, #1) by John Harvey

message 33: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments Many thanks for the suggestion, Adele, but I don't think this is it. I read the first few chapters on the Amazon preview and it's not ringing any bells.

message 34: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 134 comments Just throwing these out there: Further Lane: A Novel by James Brady. Amagansett by Mark Mills?

message 35: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel | 1530 comments Lynda you found it! It's Amagansett by Mark Mills, which I read under its UK title The Whaleboat House. Here's the cover I was thinking of: The Whaleboat House by Mark Mills

I remembered quite a few details wrong so thank you for finding it!

message 36: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 134 comments Rachel, glad you found your book!