Support for Indie Authors discussion

Writing Process & Programs > I Need a check to my novel traslation

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silvia (new)

Silvia GONZALEZ Delgado (silviagonzalezd) | 7 comments Hello Goodreaders community; I need a check of my novel, becouse was a traslation from spanish to english,
๐Ÿ˜˜

message 2: by Silvia (new)

Silvia GONZALEZ Delgado (silviagonzalezd) | 7 comments Check spelling

message 3: by Silvia (new)

Silvia GONZALEZ Delgado (silviagonzalezd) | 7 comments Just Check spelling

message 4: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4356 comments Mod
You might get more interest if you gave us more to go on. How long is the novel? What is the genre? Are you willing to pay someone to do this?

message 5: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve Montcombroux | 66 comments If it is a translation you need more than just spell checking - which can leave many errors. You need someone with good English skills who can recognize when the syntax is more Spanish than English, and if words have the right meaning since the same word can have a different connotation in another language.

Did you translate it yourself? Did you use a professional translator?

message 6: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4356 comments Mod
Genevieve wrote: "If it is a translation you need more than just spell checking - which can leave many errors. You need someone with good English skills who can recognize when the syntax is more Spanish than English..."

Agreed. The last time I tried going over a manuscript for someone for free, it was obvious they were not an English speaker. Not only were many words misspelled, but the grammar made the work almost unreadable. I had to give up.

message 7: by Lori-Ann (new)

Lori-Ann Claude | 76 comments Speaking as an employee who had to send things out for translation for work (usually English to French), it's often nail on a chalkboard the kinds of mistakes I find when checking the translation to French. Some places use software to do a first pass of the text and sometimes you wonder if the translator even understood the original language.

Can you provide how many words your novel is?

Speaking as someone who often translates/creates documents in 2 languages, I will tell you that the best person to look at your translation is someone who is fluent in both Spanish and English. That way they can check the original text when they're not sure the translation is correct.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Lewis | 3 comments I might be able to help.

message 9: by Andres (new)

Andres Mann | 15 comments You can use Fiverr to find relatively inexpensive language reviewers. I have done this myself, and the job only cost me $60.
If you need complete translations you can get skilled people at Tektime or babelcube. These services are free and the translator is paid with a portion of the royalties. Hope it helps.