Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > trying to expand self-published author section on my digital bookshelf

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (stargazerlydi) | 2 comments Hello, Indie Authors! I have only read two books by self-published authors, and I am looking to expand that list. I have been browsing groups and listopias, but I have been unable to find any place to pose this question or find where these books are. I know they exist because I keep seeing blog/news posts about the ridiculous number of self-published books added on Amazon every year.

I stumbled upon this group and thought you all might be able to help. In line with the group rules, I am not offering to actually review any of these books, nor do I have a book of my own for you to review. I recently signed up for Kindle Unlimited and thought that would be a great place to start.

Any suggestions? Are there other groups I should join instead? Good lists? I am currently limited to Kindle Unlimited (no pun intended, but I am keeping it now that I see it), and I would really like to focus on self-pubs.

Thanks in advance for your help and recommendations!
Lydia (aka Stargazer Lydi)

message 2: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4356 comments Mod
Since nearly all of us are self-published authors, you could browse a bit through our profiles and see what looks interesting to you.

Aside from that, I don't know of any place that lists off Indie authors or their books.

message 3: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Talia wrote: "

No links, folks.

message 4: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (stargazerlydi) | 2 comments Thanks for the suggestion to browse through members here. Don't know why I didn't think of that!

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 269 comments It might be helpful if you could give an idea what kinds of books you are interested in. Your profile doesn't provide any clues.

Also, you could try browsing the "Making Connections" group. There are hundreds of authors listed by category who are seeking reviews. It's not specifically for self-pubbed authors but I suspect a lot of them are. Although the idea of the group is to connect authors to readers interested in reviewing, you could simply browse it as a way of finding Indie authors and then look them up on Amazon.

message 6: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Lydia wrote: "Thanks for the suggestion to browse through members here. Don't know why I didn't think of that!"

It's how I shop when I want some Indie books.

message 7: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (last edited May 21, 2018 10:52PM) (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 731 comments Mod
What I did when looking for self-published works in my genre (fantasy), I went to the list section of Goodreads. There's usually something like "best books with less than X rating in [genre]", "Best indie [genre] books" or "Hidden gems: [genre]".

Alternatively, if you know a self-published book you liked, look at the book's page and see if it's part of a list. If yes, have a look there. Or go to its Amazon page and see "people also bought" section.

message 8: by L.K. (new)

L.K. Chapman | 150 comments If you do a Google search for "indie book discovery" there is a site that lets you browse indie author books by genre / themes. I have used it before to find indie books to read.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 552 comments It's very exciting for Indie authors to see that there are readers like you, Lydia! You'll find we all have author profiles and on there our books should be listed. Goodreads is very good because it has links that will take you straight to where you can buy them or get them on Kindle Unlimited.

Happy reading!

message 10: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 405 comments A lot of goodreads groups have “Author Promotion” sections. You could look for a group dedicated to a genre you love and skim those. There will never be a shortage.

message 11: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (last edited May 22, 2018 06:35AM) (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 731 comments Mod
Dwayne wrote: "Since nearly all of us are self-published authors, you could browse a bit through our profiles and see what looks interesting to you."

By Murphy's laws, she could be "lucky" enough to click those who aren't.

message 12: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 347 comments She should be able to tell from authors' pages. In principle, if Goodreads (or for that matter Amazon) would have a small computer searchable set of terms people could announce what they write, and a computer could produce a list. Not holding breath for this to happen, though.