THE Group for Authors! discussion

Midnight Crossing (Midnight, #2)
This topic is about Midnight Crossing
General Discussion > Rating on book not yet published

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Shute | 3 comments Hello,
I received a 2 star rating on my book a couple of days ago. My book has not yet been published. I don't know the reader. She has a 'new' profile and has not rated any books besides mine. This rating is obviously lowering the overall ratings for my new book, which is not yet available to the public. I believe this 2 star rating is malicious. Respectfully requesting its review/removal ASAP. Please advise.
Thank you!

message 2: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 630 comments Readers can shelf/rate/review books however they want. Some assign a star rating to books that prioritises the book in their TBR pile.

I notice you're not complaining about the 5-star on the same title. If you want GR to remove a 2-star on an unavailable title then they should also remove the 5-stars.

message 3: by Diane (last edited May 23, 2018 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Shute | 3 comments Thank you. I appreciate your response, however it was marked as 'read' the same day she listed it as 'to read'. If you'd like to remove the 5 star rating as well, that is fine...at least it evens the field.

message 4: by Miss M (new)

Miss M | 84 comments The bottom line is that except for very rare reasons GR doesn’t police readers’ reviews, ratings or shelvings. Have a look around, there are lots of discussions on this topic and ultimately GR will not remove. Some readers use the star system as a way to prioritize books they are (or aren’t) interested in and GR considers that valid.

message 5: by Shaun (last edited May 24, 2018 02:57AM) (new)

Shaun (sponting) | 101 comments Diane wrote: "Hello,
I received a 2 star rating on my book a couple of days ago. My book has not yet been published. I don't know the reader. She has a 'new' profile and has not rated any books besides mine. Thi..."

Hi Diane, it's best to please report this rating to Support so the correct team can take a look into the rating and the account. If anything is found to not meet our policies, we'll take action. It's worth mentioning though, that in most cases, ratings are not removed.

Diane Shute | 3 comments Got it. Thanks very much!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 137 comments GR allows pre-release ratings and reviews. This allows for both those lucky enough to receive ARCs to review them, and for people to leave "anticipation" ratings.

Also there's a bug that results in people giving 2 stars to books randomly, that they haven't read.

message 8: by Shaun (last edited May 25, 2018 02:52AM) (new)

Shaun (sponting) | 101 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Also there's a bug that results in people giving 2 stars to books randomly, that they haven't read."

Hi Susanna, I cannot confirm this is a bug. Can you point me towards where you've seen this discussed/reported please?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 137 comments I know I've heard it reported by friends, though it has not happened to me, that I'm aware of. Can't remember who, though, at this point. If I remember, I'll say so, though.

message 10: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 1 comments Shaun wrote: "Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Also there's a bug that results in people giving 2 stars to books randomly, that they haven't read."

Hi Susanna, I cannot confirm this is a bug. Can you point me towards where you've seen this discussed/reported please?"

Tamora Pierce mentions this first thing on her profile, though she is talking about one-star ratings.
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...