Books on the Nightstand discussion

Is There Such A Thing As A Rebound Book Or A Book Hangover After Reading A Book You Really Liked?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marion (new)

Marion Hill (kammbia1) I was just wondering if other readers got a book hangover after reading something they really liked. And did you find a rebound book shortly after?

Marion

message 2: by Adore (new)

Adore i think i know what you mean. it's almost like book afterglow for me; i don't want to exit the story quite yet even though i completed the book. when this happens, i will intentionally not read anything for a few days/a week rather than rebound. if i don't have a pause, i will judge the next book more harshly for not meeting that high bar.

message 3: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jeniferpullman) | 1 comments I usually have magazines and other short things I plan on reading that pile up while I finish a good book. I take the hangover time to catch up on all that stuff and "recover" a bit before I start a new book.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 109 comments If possible I look for a short easy page-turner from a reliable author after I read something that really moved me.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (suzystjohn) | 11 comments If it's an adult book - I usually go for YA, I call these my "bridge" books. If I have a book hangover from YA (think Allegiant), I just find something completely different.

message 6: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 5 comments Jenifer wrote: "I usually have magazines and other short things I plan on reading that pile up while I finish a good book. I take the hangover time to catch up on all that stuff and "recover" a bit before I start ..."

That is what I do as well. Finish a few magazines before I start another. Especially novels. Sometimes I find myself slowing down because I don't want a book to end other times racing to the end to see how it all ends.

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 790 comments Usually I take a break from reading and watch movies or tv. It really is allowed....lol.

message 8: by James (new)

James Mcgeoch | 6 comments I'm not alone! Yes, I can have the same problem. Finishing a great book can be like loosing a friend. I "try" emphasis on try, to have that, hopefully great book waiting. Also switch to a different style. All that to ask, read any good books lately? I just finished Serena... Great but couldn't get the visual of Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, stars of the upcoming movie, out of my mind.

message 9: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) If I get totally involved in a world (Harry Potter) or with the characters (The Book Thief) I just want to think about the book and the feelings it aroused rather than diving into something new. Often I will chose a thriller or detective novel to follow up because I get less involved in those.

message 10: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabshi) Dang, I thought I was the first to think of calling it a "Book Hangover". But yes, I get this all the time.
If I particularly enjoy a novel, it can take me weeks to recover and move on to another book. Until then I mope, obsess, quote, dress up as my favorite characters, annoy my family by talking about the book constantly, etcetera.

message 11: by Marion (new)

Marion Hill (kammbia1) This is the OP. Thanks for everyone's posts.

Marion

message 12: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Haddad | 37 comments OMG this is hilarious you guys -- I never knew there were names for what I have suffered through !!! I love it!

message 13: by Rita (new)

Rita | 147 comments Jenifer wrote: "I usually have magazines and other short things I plan on reading that pile up while I finish a good book. I take the hangover time to catch up on all that stuff and "recover" a bit before I start ..."

this is what I do.