Play Book Tag discussion

The Secret Scripture (McNulty Family)
This topic is about The Secret Scripture
May 2018: Family Drama > The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry - 4.5 stars [May Decathlon]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1663 comments [May - Decathlon]
The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry
4.5 stars

The book was composed of a journal/scripture of sorts, written by Roseanne who is 100 and lives in an old asylum in Ireland that is about to be demolished. In her writing she is describing her life and what she remembers to cause her to be in the asylum. The other part of the story are the notes that her psychiatrist writes while he assesses her to determine if she can be released or if she should be sent to the newly built asylum.

The book was so beautifully written!! I enjoyed the words on the page and how they were laid out but I can't say I enjoyed the story because it was just SO SAD. I felt so much sadness and so much pain while I was reading. I almost didn't want to turn the page because I didn't know if I could handle anymore but that is just me.

I think Barry laid out the story beautifully and I didn't think it was very predictable. I would definitely recommend, and I'll probably read this author again. Although, if the sad thing is his style, I'll probably bookend it with a couple of 'Happily Ever After' books.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9391 comments That was a great review Charlotte! I decided to not go with this book and go with another. But I’ve been so curious about this one. And I love hearing what people thought with the choice not taken.

message 3: by Nicole D. (new) - added it

Nicole D. | 1497 comments I want to read this. I started the audio and couldn't understand a word being said, so I opted for print version.