AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

The Last Suppers
This topic is about The Last Suppers
Introduction to THE LAST SUPPERS and Mandy Mikulencak

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy Mikulencak (mandymikulencak) | 11 comments Hello, everyone! I’m Mandy Mikulencak and it’s my week to host this Facebook page and our Goodreads page! The club features a different author host each week.

Set in 1950s Louisiana, THE LAST SUPPERS (Kensington Publishing) is about a young female prison cook whose obsession with providing last meals for death row prisoners leads her to uncover secrets about her father’s murder and the man executed for it.

New York Times Bestselling Author Susan Wiggs said “The Last Suppers…has the social conscience of The Help, the unflinching honesty of The Shawshank Redemption, and a wholly original heroine whose humanity will touch your heart as she cooks her way to redemption.”

This week I’ll be speaking about the inspiration for the novel, food as a main character in fiction, the public’s current fascination with last meal requests, and more. And you’ll have a chance to win a copy of the book (ebook, hardcover, audio CD, or audio download) by commenting on any of the posts.

Be sure to ask your friends to join the book club on Facebooks and at Goodreads!

message 2: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
Mandy, I can't wait to hear all about your novel. I think you've touched on a topic that a lot of people wonder about: that infamous "last meal." I know my kids and I have talked about it, wondering if you really can get whatever you want, who makes it, etcetera. And I suspect there are doors to larger issues there, such as the prison system and the people within it, which will be equally fascinating. Thanks for hosting this week!

-Martha