Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group discussion

Popular Authors > Harlan Coben

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished Six Years by Harlan Coben. One of my favorite Authors. He has written so many books that it's hard to decide which one is the best. I may have to say that this was his best book. Anybody have any thoughts?

Six Years by Harlan Coben

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Haven't read this one yet but so far, Tell No One is topping my list.
Tell No One / Gone For Good by Harlan Coben

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Great book. The movie was great also. Don't know if you saw it on DVD.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Not yet but I plan to. I'm also a big fan of the Myron Bolitar series. Just wish he'd write a conclusion:)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope the series keeps going. Not ready for a conclusion yet.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) Oh, that would be ideal! I just think he doesn't want it to run much longer.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess. He can always continue to write stand alone thrillers also.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review on Harlan Coben's latest book, Missing You. Seems like another great book by Coben.

http://www.newbernsj.com/news/local-c...

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) It is. Read it a couple of months ago.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 03, 2014 08:24AM) (new)

I finished 6 Years in three days. I'll look forward to Missing You. Thanks.

message 11: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Wunder | 162 comments I like most of Harlan Coben's books. I have Missing You in my to read stack. I anxiously wait for when a new one comes one. He always seem to have various twists and turns.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Missing You looks good. Let us know what you think of it.

message 13: by Don (new)

Don Massenzio (don_massenzio) | 3 comments I really like Harlan Coben's writing style, but Missing You missed the mark in my opinion. First, he writes it from the perspective of a late 30's/early 40's female detective. The dialog and emotions seem forced (perhaps since a tall, middle-aged man is the author). The plot was also a bit predictable. Tell No One was a great book that had me tuning the pages until I was done. Missing You was not my favorite. His next book is a Mickey Bolitar book. I truly enjoyed the last one, so I will definitely read it. As a side note, I followed Harlan Coben on Twitter. As an aspiring writer with my first detective novel out, I sent him a quick message telling him about it and that I am a fan. Without any response, I was blocked from being one of his Twitter followers. I found this disturbing, but chalked it up to whoever handles his social media publicity trying to stop author/stalker followers. I was a bit surprised, however.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Don wrote: "I really like Harlan Coben's writing style, but Missing You missed the mark in my opinion. First, he writes it from the perspective of a late 30's/early 40's female detective. The dialog and emoti..."

It's unfortunate to say but there are people on Twitter that have a lot of problems to say the least. I enjoy being on Twitter but there are a lot of people out there that ruin twitter for people like you and me. A good example was what happened to Zelda Williams, Robin Williams daughter. So many people making nasty remarks to her that she had to cancel her twitter account. It's a shame but people like me and you pay a price for that. It's terrible.
I find that there are some authors that are nice and will answer you. There was a time when Harlan was answering his e-mails. It's funny that you bring up Tell No One. That was one of the last books my father read before he died of lung cancer. My father said it was one of the best books he ever read. I e-mailed Harlan Coben and mentioned this. It took him a long time to answer me but he did eventually and said he was sorry to hear that. Gave me a nice response. I don't know if you saw the movie Tell No One in France but it was great.
Just thought I'd bring that up. I'm sorry that you had to go through that. Hope it doesn't happen with other authors.

message 15: by Don (new)

Don Massenzio (don_massenzio) | 3 comments Ron wrote: "Don wrote: "I really like Harlan Coben's writing style, but Missing You missed the mark in my opinion. First, he writes it from the perspective of a late 30's/early 40's female detective. The dial..."

Ron,
Thanks. That makes me feel better about him. Like I said, it's probably a publicist that pulled the trigger on Twitter.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Don wrote: "Ron wrote: "Don wrote: "I really like Harlan Coben's writing style, but Missing You missed the mark in my opinion. First, he writes it from the perspective of a late 30's/early 40's female detecti..."

I'm sure you're right but I don't think that would have happened if Twitter was a better environment. I think that is still the big reason this happened.

message 17: by Tonya (new)

Tonya | 2 comments I've just started Six Years, I love to read Harlan Coben's books but haven't made my way through them all yet.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Tonya wrote: "I've just started Six Years, I love to read Harlan Coben's books but haven't made my way through them all yet."

Seems like he was at his best in this one.

Olivia "So many books--so little time."" | 41 comments Harlan Coben is one of my favorite authors. I've read and enjoyed Six Years and Just One Look and most recently I read one of his oldest books, Tell No One. An excellent book--I gave it five stars.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Olivia wrote: "Harlan Coben is one of my favorite authors. I've read and enjoyed Six Years and Just One Look and most recently I read one of his oldest books, Tell No One. An excellent book--I gave it five stars."

Tell No One was great. I enjoyed the movie as well.

message 21: by Alan (new)

Alan | 2 comments I love Harlan, I think he is unique in the way he tells his stories with amazing twists. Others have started to try to imitate him but I don't think they come as close as his work. Next up for me is his book
Six Years which I recently purchased. The Myron Bolitar books don't interest me as much. I have heard
rapturous raves for Tell No One and I really look forward to reading the book and seeing the movie. I know many people who saw the movie without knowing his work and they were just bowled over by the plot.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, his stand alone books are great. I like the series also.

message 23: by Dan (new)

Dan (youngbuck) I have not found a Harlan Coben book I have not liked! I'm always looking forward to the next.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Dan wrote: "I have not found a Harlan Coben book I have not liked! I'm always looking forward to the next."

Yeah, you can't go wrong with a Harlan Coben book.

message 25: by Marian (new)

Marian 2 of my fav books of Harlan Coben are.. Gone for Good by Harlan Coben

and... Tell No One by Harlan Coben

and pretty much the rest of his books:)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Both are great book. My father loved Tell No One. One of the last books he read. You can always get the movie from Netflix.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Looks like Tell No One will be another movie for Liam Neeson

http://deadline.com/2014/09/liam-nees...

message 28: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 114 comments Too bland, like pinot gris. In Keep Close Megan should have cast her suburban soccer mom persona to the winds & gone with old flame Ray to Afghanistan.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm kind of surprised that they chose Tell No One. It's already out on DVD on Netflix. They filmed the whole movie in France so why do it again? Seems to me that there were other great books to chose from.

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1740 comments I love Harlan Coben and I've read all of his books

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Same here. Haven't read his most recent book yet.

message 32: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1740 comments I loved his books

message 33: by Marian (new)

Marian I liked his Tell No One and Gone for Good.

message 34: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Wunder | 162 comments I imagine they thought it would be a good book for a movie version in English. If you remember, they did this also with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It came out in Sweden and then was later made into a movie in English.

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1740 comments I think he's a great writer