Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > Beta Reader Needed for Dystopian Wasteland Journey

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Shea (lisashea) | 188 comments Greetings, everyone! I'm preparing to publish my new dystopian story, Into the Wasteland.

She doesn't know why she's shuffling down a sterile corridor in line with the roughest hoodlums, miscreants, and serial killers she's ever seen. She doesn't know why, when she's handed a gun, that she instantly knows the safety is on and the magazine is fully loaded. She doesn't know, once those massive metal gates before her swing open, what she will face on the other side.

All she knows is that somehow, whatever it takes, she has to survive.

Into the Wasteland is an 11-chapter novella, the first in the Ishtato Saga series. Your feedback will help me shape how the series progresses!

Please post if you're interested, and let me know what format you prefer.

Thanks!

Lisa

message 2: by Alis (new)

Alis (books-and-ashes) Greetings Lisa! I would be happy to be a beta reader for your new dystopian story. If you can, use Google docs for the preferred format but if you can not a Word document would work just as well.

Bri

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Shea (lisashea) | 188 comments Bri -

That is great, thank you so much! I've added you as a friend - if you can accept that request and send me your email address I'll get that out to you!

Lisa

message 4: by David (new)

David Meredith | 54 comments I'd be willing to Beta Read for you if you would be willing to return the favor. I'm looking to publish my next novel "Shirobara Falls" sometime next year, but I'd like to get as many other eyes on it as possible before I publish. It is the first volume of an epic fantasy series, but based on Japanese myth legend and folklore, rather than the European model that is so prevalent in modern fantasy literature today. Here is the series synopsis:

On the happiest day of the year, Taro’s world ends. His people and his family are slaughtered. His lands are brutally laid to waste by merciless, imperial forces. Taro is certain that neither he nor the ghosts of his lost loved ones can rest until he has visited the same devastation tenfold upon the heads of the vile collaborators. Consumed with grief for the fallen and guilt at his own survival, he gathers his scattered people and solemnly vows bloody revenge on the allies of the Emperor in the neighboring barony.

At the same time, young Naomi, cherished daughter of the doting Lord of Numanodai, is blissfully unaware of the chaotic world spinning out of control all around her. She fervently studies the arts of dance, music, and poetry as she dreams of being accepted into the distant imperial court. However, when disaster visits her very doorstep and she loses everything that she holds dear, Naomi must learn what it truly means to be a woman and a ruler. She must come to grips with her own gnawing grief and paralyzing doubt if she is to have any chance of saving her beaten and bedraggled people from Taro’s unreasoning fury.

In the process, both she and her pursuer discover a magical world of vengeful akuma demons, fierce kitsuné fox-people, droll tanuki badger-folk, and the mysterious, arcane power of the ikioi. Taro and Naomi must decide whether to use this power for healing or destruction, revenge or redemption. They must choose whether to react to their pain and loss with wrath or with love. In the end, both must come to understand that the only thing that really makes them different is the choices they make and what they are willing to sacrifice in attaining that which they desire.

message 5: by Matty (new)

Matty | 3 comments I'd be interested in reading it & giving feedback(:

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Shea (lisashea) | 188 comments David -

Just to clarify, this is only a 10-chapter novella. If you have a full novel, perhaps you could provide insight into book 2 of mine as well :).

I ran a feudal Japan group for Mensa for over ten years, so I'm fluent in the history of Japan and would be interested in your story.

I do have to say that your blurb is impressive. I'm an Amazon top reviewer and get deluged with book review requests all day long. Only a small portion are written as well as this blurb is.

Lisa

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Shea (lisashea) | 188 comments MarvelousMatty -

Great! Private-message me your email address and the format you'd like, and I'll send it along! I'm nearly done with book 2. Just one more pass on it.

Lisa

message 8: by David (new)

David Meredith | 54 comments @ Lisa
I just sent you a more detailed message but that sounds fair. Looking forward to it!

Naturalbri (Bri Wignall) (naturalbri) | 33 comments Lisa wrote: "Greetings, everyone! I'm preparing to publish my new dystopian story, Into the Wasteland.

She doesn't know why she's shuffling down a sterile corridor in line with the roughest hoodlums, mi..."

I'd love to review this, if you want.

message 10: by Eliza (new)

Eliza (elizataylor) Hi if you are still looking I would like to read
eliza_taylor@ymail.com
cheers
Eliza