Catholic Thought discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny (virmarl) | 4206 comments Mod
It's time to start reading Robert Cardinal Sarah's The Power of Silence: Against the Dictatorship of Noise.

This file is a general topic folder as an introductory and initial thoughts. I would have called it an introduction, but the book has an Introduction, so I didn't want to confuse people.

Here's what I propose for a reading schedule. The book is 244 pages, has five chapters, an introduction, a conclusion, and an afterward by Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI. If we average 50 pages per week we can finish this book in five weeks. However they are not very evenly spaced. The Introduction is only 12 pages but Chapter 1, the longest of the book is 66 pages. The Introduction is too short for its own week and combining with the first chapter is too long for one week. So by taking two weeks to read the Intro and Chapter 1, then the rest of the book divides rather nicely. Here's how I see the reading schedule:

May 20 - June 2 - Intro & Chpt 1: 78 pages total.
June 3 - June 9 - Chpts 2 & 3: 58 pages total.
June 10 - June 16, Chpt 4: 44 pages total.
June 17 - June 23, Chpt 5, Conclusion, Afterward: 56 pages total.

We can start discussion the Intro and Chapter 1 in the middle of that time span, say May 27th.

How does this sound?

message 2: by Manny (last edited May 20, 2018 06:23PM) (new)

My friend Mary Sue reviewed this book on Goodreads and I want to share the first paragraph of her review. Before I do, let me just say that Mary Sue is a passionate Evangelical Protestant, and so not inclined to read a Catholic theological book, let alone one by a Cardinal. I wonder why she did. Here's her first paragraph:

This book moved me. Every once in a while, I come across a book that makes me want to reevaluate everything I know, and this book did that. I absolutely loved the recognition I felt reading this book - despite standing in quite a different corner of Christianity as a young, American, fairly Calvinist woman compared to an established and revered African Catholic cardinal, I could identify many(not all, but many) of Cardinal Sarah's reflections and understandings as ones I've shared and come to love with all my heart. More importantly, he put into words things I've felt so deeply it hurts about the quality of silence and solitude I've loved desperately as a believer. I've not even known that these things could be put into words, but Cardinal Sarah did that.

I have not asked her yet why this book moved her so. I wanted to read it first myself before I explored her reasons. But if that doesn't get you to want to read this book, nothing will.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy | 14 comments Thanks for organizing this Manny. I bought this book last year, started it and found it so rich in thought but put it away because I wanted to give it proper time to read, not a quick read on what was a busy schedule. I appreciate your organization of reading and will be joining you on this journey of Silence.

message 4: by Manny (new)

Andy wrote: "Thanks for organizing this Manny. I bought this book last year, started it and found it so rich in thought but put it away because I wanted to give it proper time to read, not a quick read on what ..."

Fantastic. I have not heard of anyone who did not praise this book. I've started reading. The Introduction was super!

message 5: by Friar Stebin (new)

Friar Stebin John Capuchin (capfriar) | 38 comments Manny wrote: "My friend Mary Sue reviewed this book on Goodreads and I want to share the first paragraph of her review. Before I do, let me just say that Mary Sue is a passionate Evangelical Protestant, and so n..."

This is really interesting Manny, thanks for sharing it with us. I start to read this book today.

message 6: by David (new)

David Gray | 2 comments This book is one of my favorites. I incorporated a number of his comments about the orientation of the Mass and the meaninglessness of chatter into my latest book, "The Divine Symphony: An Exordium to the Theology of the Theology of the Mass."

I'll be sharing my comments as we go. Thanks!

message 7: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin | 1556 comments Mod
David, this sounds like a very interesting book you wrote. I like the incorporation of the Divine Symphony. As a lover of classical music, this really intrigues me.

As for silence, I think the more reverential and prayerful the Mass is, the better. To do that, it has to be slowed down. The average Mass is rushed way too much.

I read that you are in the St. Louis area. Have you ever been to St. Clare's in O'Fallon, IL? They deliberately incorporate longer silences in their Masses.

message 8: by Irene (new)

Irene | 909 comments I just got my copy.

message 9: by Bice (new)

Bice (bicebeechay) | 1 comments I am sorry but it looks as if I will be unable to read this book now. Would I be able to read it later and still comment on the topics discussed?
Bice (pronounced Beechay)

message 10: by Manny (new)

Bice wrote: "I am sorry but it looks as if I will be unable to read this book now. Would I be able to read it later and still comment on the topics discussed?
Bice (pronounced Beechay)"

Absolutely. The folders will be there and if people have email notices to the group comments, they will know you commented.

Welcome to the group Bice. There's an introduce yourself folder somewhere if you'd like to say something.

message 11: by Celia (new)

Celia (cinbread19) | 92 comments I have taken a LONG time to read this book. I am very impressed as is every one else. I have about 48 more pages. Should be done by the end of the month because I am reading it SLOWLY. I also appreciate all of the synopses that will help me understand the book better. Thank you Catholic Thought for pointing me to this book. I will read more by this wonderful Cardinal.