Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > Sticks and Bones: 1 Star (Generously)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Sticks and Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, # 17) by Carolyn Haines

Sticks and Bones, Carolyn Haines

...and now I remember why I had stopped reading this series

Sarah Booth Delaney & her friend Tinky Belcourt are hired by a movie company to investigate the disappearance of Son & the death of his mother Cleo in a car accident that sent their vehicle into a flooded fast-moving river. The movie to be based on the biased book written by Son's sister, Sister McFee.

Neither Sister, her father Colin (who is running for senate on an anti-Putin platform), or Colin's new wife Susan have anything good to say about Son or Cleo. All three claim Son was drugged up when the car went over the embankment, but Son had been in rehab & sober for quite some time.

During all the commotion of filming, the author who had been helping Sister write all of her Bestselling books is murdered & Sister is allegedly kidnapped

Sister McFee is nasty to everyone, especially Tinky, whom Sister calls Stinky, the reason is something that is left unresolved and I found annoying.

Not only did I not like most of the characters, Son's bodily absence from the scene of the accident was harped on over & over & over, so that became annoying as well.

What I found to be most annoying of all is Sarah's "Haint" (spook), Jitty... Haines has Jitty constantly dressed in costumes, taking on the personalities of long dead people, and haranguing Sarah about her lack of sex-life, lack of husband/boy-friend, & lack of children. The Haint does nothing constructive, shows no caring, and talks in riddles. Seriously Jitty needs to be banished.

I didn't think the book was well written (I just wanted it over); there were too many side stories, loose ends, with a very pat & convenient ending and I was able to figure out who one of the murderers was.

Family Drama

* Jamie McFee: Morally upright Grandfather who left his estate to his Grandchildren

* Colin McFee: Son who had an affair w/ his secretary, stole from his business, hates his children

* Cleo McFee: Colin's dead wife

* Susan McFee: Colin's previous secretary now his wife & pregnant w/ Colin's child

* Son McFee: Son of Colin & missing in the accident that drown his mother, assumed that his body was swept away down river

* Sister McFee: Nasty mean daughter of Colin & bestselling author

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments LOL good to know what books to avoid!

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments Off my list forevermore with a big red X!!!

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments All ya'll jist mat lak it!

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7472 comments Just the title is a bit lame, I think.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Karin wrote: "Just the title is a bit lame, I think."

All of her titles are "---- Bones"

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I missed this 1 star review earlier! I love bad reviews (though I am sorry that it takes bad reading to get there!)

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Nicole R wrote: "I missed this 1 star review earlier! I love bad reviews (though I am sorry that it takes bad reading to get there!)"

I write good & bad... I do take the time to explain why I give the rating I give.

Just like on Trip Advisor, I explain in detail... Reviews that merely state: "Loved It!" or "Hated It!" just do not tell me anything.

message 9: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I also love reading bad reviews! Although I always feel guilty when I have to write one myself.

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Magdalena wrote: "I also love reading bad reviews! Although I always feel guilty when I have to write one myself."

I'll be more than happy to oblige you.... Well, not really, I usually do not finish most of the books that I abhor....

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Magdalena wrote: "I also love reading bad reviews! Although I always feel guilty when I have to write one myself."

Bad reviews amuse me, although I always have a twinge of guilt if I have to write them myself.

message 12: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments I agree on the guilt of a bad review... I always over think when I'm trying to determine a rating and review.

message 13: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments Same :) I want to be honest, but I always think "what if it is just my taste and someone else would love this book!?"

But I have read books that have really bad dialogue, grammar, ect and are just plain bad, but it is so hard to criticize diplomatically. No matter how constructive you are, I am sure it still stings the writer's ego.

message 14: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Meli wrote: "Same :) I want to be honest, but I always think "what if it is just my taste and someone else would love this book!?"

But I have read books that have really bad dialogue, grammar, etc and are just..."

I don't do guilt.... some books are just better than others and life is too short to waste time on books I don't like.

I had to finally stop reading Stephanie Plum (Evanovich's # series) they were all the same and I couldn't stand the way she treated Lula, it got dull & overly repetitive...

I stopped reading Grafton @ "M", they all had the same feel.

I've also stopped reading: Nancy Martin (Blackbird Sisters), Carl Hiaasen, Donna Andrews, Victoria Laurie, G.A. McKevette, Earlene Fowler, M.C. Beaton, Emily Brightwell, Christopher Moore, and I'm about to dump Rhys Bowen.... Their characters began grating on my nerves to the extent that I wanted to throw the book across the room.

Too many authors get comfortable with their popular characters & then they have the angst of: "What do I do now?" So there seems to be the tendency to go overboard with the characters' quirkiness, which might have been entertaining in the beginning, but when magnified is nothing less than annoying.

But that's me.... Guilt for wasting my own time.

message 15: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments I don't feel too guilty to completely stop reading a book - so we agree there.

Realistically, not being honest, even if it is brutal, isn't doing the authors any favors either.

Some readers like the repetition or just adore an author too much to honestly criticize their books, like a yes man to a manager, so I guess that doesn't really help an author grow either.

But with all the voices telling them they love it or hate it, I wonder how an artist is able to filter in a constructive and meaningful way.

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Meli wrote: "I don't feel too guilty to completely stop reading a book - so we agree there.

Realistically, not being honest, even if it is brutal, isn't doing the authors any favors either.

Some readers lik..."

Well, I think too many authors ignore it all.... but I usually try to talk about what I don't like & why, Although sometimes I have been know to use the phrase: "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..." when describing dialog.

LOL!

message 17: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments HAHAHA! Blah blah blah, I like that :)

I think if you are clear about why you don't like something with specific examples, your review being a good example, then it helps other readers rather than "this book is garbage."

message 18: by Kimberly (last edited May 24, 2018 10:09AM) (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Meli wrote: "HAHAHA! Blah blah blah, I like that :)

I think if you are clear about why you don't like something with specific examples, your review being a good example, then it helps other readers rather tha..."

Being clear is helpful to other readers.... I have read several good books, that I would not otherwise have read, by reading a well written clear review.

message 19: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7472 comments Kimberly wrote: "Karin wrote: "Just the title is a bit lame, I think."

All of her titles are "---- Bones""

Wow!