The Next Best Book Club discussion

Summer Reading Challenge (2018) > Martin's Summer Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Penguin_Mustard (last edited Jun 29, 2018 03:27AM) (new)

Penguin_Mustard | 4 comments Hi, I'm Martin – I joined the group because I was intrigued by the summer reading challenge and decided to try my hand at the Expert Level and just see how far I get. :-D

I'll gradually update this post as I figure out more of my books. For now, I've found my books for June and for “Stretch your Comfort Zone.”

Edit: Got them all now :-)

Looking forward to tackling this challenge with you all!

P.S.: I took the liberty to interpret some of the tasks a little more widely. For instance, my country, Germany, doesn't really have a story of independence in the classical sense, so I picked the next best thing: The downfall of the Nazi Regime.

June Reads: 3/11

Take Pride – Read a book written by an LGBTQIA author or that features an LGBTQIA character The Berlin Stories: The Last of Mr Norris/Goodbye to Berlin

Into the Great Wide Open – Read a book that takes place out in the great wide open Walden

It’s the End of the World – Read a book about the end of the world as we know it The Leftovers

School’s Out for Summer - Reread a book you were forced to read in school The Metamorphosis

Sick Day – Read a book you were supposed to read in school but didn’t Galileo

Hook ‘Em – Read a book that features fishing or fishermen Moby-Dick or, The Whale (“The Old Man and the Sea” by Hemingway is one of my all-time favourites but I've already re-read it this year. Moby Dick is obviously an enormous book so I might change this if I'm hard-pressed on time).

Sports-a-holic – Read a book that features a popular summer sport Green Hills of Africa

Dear Penpal – Read a book that features letters or journal entries The Color Purple

Father Knows Best – Read a book that features a father The Grapes of Wrath

Campfire Story – Read a book that scares the bejesus out of you The Shining

Ocean Blue – Read a book that takes place out on the water Heart of Darkness

Edit: Halfway into the month and I'm still slogging through Moby-Dick. Don't get me wrong, amazing book, but looong.

Edit II: Will have to move some of my June tasks into July, but still determined to make all of them by the end of August. Read on! :-)

July Reads: 0/11

Get Your Grill On– Read a book that features summer recipes or outdoor summer activities For Whom the Bell Tolls (Again an interpretive stretch of sorts, but there is hiking involved :D)

Backyard BBQ – Read a book that features a family reuniting or hanging out for the summer Dubliners

Forefathers– Read a book about your country’s independence Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil

The Colors of Summer – Read a book that features a yellow, green, or sandy cover Das Heilige (my copy does at least)

Red, White, and Blue – Read a book that has the words Red, White, or Blue in the title White Jazz

Funny Bone – Read a humorous book Slaughterhouse-Five

Embrace Your Inner Geek – Read a book about geek culture The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Sun, Moon, and Stars – Read a book that takes place in outer space The Martian

I Feel a Breeze – Read a book that takes place at a nudist colony or features nudists Absolutely Golden

Beach Bum - Read a book that could be considered a “beach read” The Last Good Kiss

Sand Between My Toes - Read a book that takes place in or around a beach/ocean Inherent Vice

August Reads: 0/9

Let’s Get It On – read a book that features falling in or out of love The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

It’s 12 O’clock Somewhere – Read a book that takes place in a bar or heavily features drinks/people drinking The Moonshine War

Stranded – Read a book that takes place on an island or in which the characters find themselves stranded The Tempest

One and Done – Read a book that you can finish in one day Animal Farm

Lucky to Have You – Read a book that you picked up at a library sale or thrift store Night

Girl Power – Read a book about feminism or written by a feminist The Handmaid's Tale

Life is a Highway – Read a book that features a road trip On the Road

Time of Our Lives – Read a book in which the characters go on an adventure At the Mountains of Madness

Memories – Read a book that you bought while on vacation Brave New World

Any month: 0/13

Won’t Be Long – Read a collection of short stories or essays Fortune Smiles

Poet at Heart – Read a book of poetry Selected Poems

You Have a Funny Accent – Read a book that was translated from another language One Hundred Years of Solitude

Read the World -Read a book that takes place in a country, or focuses on a culture, other than your own The Stranger

Diversify Yourself – Read a book by an author of color Invisible Man

High Noon – Read a classic or contemporary Western Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West

My What Big Teeth You Have – Read a book that puts a spin on a well-known fairy tale Neverwhere (even though that's probably a broad interpretation of the task…)

The Future is Bright – Read a book that takes place in the future Dune

The Book is Always Better – Read a book that is becoming a movie this year Fahrenheit 451

TBRing It – Read a book from the bottom of your TBR pile The Catcher in the Rye

Unshelve it – Read a book that’s been sitting on your Goodreads Shelves for a while Steppenwolf

Childhood Reboot – Read a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure novel Seven Bullets

Listen to Me – Listen to an Audiobook L.A. Confidential

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10145 comments Mod
Interpretting the tasks to make them a better fit is a great idea! Best of luck with the challenge : )

Penguin_Mustard | 4 comments Lori wrote: "Interpretting the tasks to make them a better fit is a great idea! Best of luck with the challenge : )"

Thanks! :-)

message 4: by Connie (new)

Connie | 114 comments Wow! I thought I had a mishmash of classics, but you really have some hard core doozies -- Kerouac, Orwell, Camus, Atwood, Bradbury, Adams, Huxley, Kafka, and James Joyce. Just...wow! My brain hurts just reading your list. Way to go and good luck!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann | 2 comments I also have Moby Dick for the Hook ‘em theme!! I also wanted to use Old Man and the sea but like you said I already read it this year! I figured since Moby has been on my tbr for soooo long that I need to FINALLY just bite the bullet and do it already!

Penguin_Mustard | 4 comments Connie wrote: "Wow! I thought I had a mishmash of classics, but you really have some hard core doozies -- Kerouac, Orwell, Camus, Atwood, Bradbury, Adams, Huxley, Kafka, and James Joyce. Just...wow! My brain hurt..."

Yeah, I'm also hoping my own brain will make it through that alright :-D Thanks, and to you too! :-)

Penguin_Mustard | 4 comments Ann wrote: "I also have Moby Dick for the Hook ‘em theme!! I also wanted to use Old Man and the sea but like you said I already read it this year! I figured since Moby has been on my tbr for soooo long that I ..."

Yup, same here – at least I'm not going to be the only one reading it then! :-)