500 Great Books By Women discussion

500 Great Books by Women
This topic is about 500 Great Books by Women
140 views
General > Trying to Find a Copy? and other Resources

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aubrey (last edited Oct 14, 2017 08:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments While I enjoy the ease of digital databases, I adore the copy I used to create this group even more. If you want a physical copy for your own, friend Jacob has provided a link for PaperBackSwap.com as follows:

http://www.paperbackswap.com/500-Grea...

Friend Sandy mentioned Biblio as a good place to go:

http://www.biblio.com/search.php?stag...

Excel Document Containing the Full List of Book Title with Author(s): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Lizzie's phenomenal upgrade of the previous raw Excel Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/c...

A List Challenge version to streamline that tracking process: http://www.listchallenges.com/500-gre...


message 2: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 56 comments Aubrey wrote: "While I enjoy the ease of digital databases, I adore the copy I used to create this group even more. If you want a physical copy for your own, friend Jacob has provided a link for PaperBackSwap.com..."

Is it possible to make notations on the list in any way?


Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Not on the public one. You should be able to copy paste it into your own online/offline Excel doc and make notations on that.


message 4: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 56 comments Thanks. Now I'll check out my larger scale copy and paste skills.


message 5: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph (blue01022) | 18 comments I just copied the list and started making notations and getting organized. I can't imagine all the time you must have put into this project, Aubrey - thank you so much!


message 6: by Aubrey (last edited Aug 01, 2014 09:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments I made Excel docs of similar complexity for the 1001 BBYD/Guardian 1000/Nobel Prize lists before this, Steph, so I'm very quick about it these days. I much prefer this one to all the rest; it's more fun with others.


message 7: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 56 comments Thank you Aubrey for all your work.


message 8: by Samadrita (new) - added it

Samadrita (fictionista01) | 34 comments Thank you much for the excel doc, Aubrey, the group and everything you're doing which is taking you away from reading and reviewing.


Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Would you believe it, Sue and Samadrita, that my reading and reviewing has never been better since the inauguration of this group? Because it has.


message 10: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 84 comments Aubrey wrote: "Would you believe it, Sue and Samadrita, that my reading and reviewing has never been better since the inauguration of this group? Because it has."

That's wonderful, Aubrey! My reading hasn't been bad lately either, but I do need to write some reviews.:)


message 11: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 56 comments I always thought your reviewing was pretty excellent so does this mean you are doing more of it? I'm having difficulty keeping up with everyone's reviews since I've been reading so ridiculously much. I think joining NetGalley really did me in but I can't stop since I have had some great experiences through them.

Keep up the wonderful work Aubrey. So many of us are benefiting from your labors and your reading.


message 12: by Zanna (new)

Zanna (zannastar) | 180 comments I have a pdf copy of This Bridge Called my Back, which I am happy to forward to anyone who wants it, though it's not the easiest thing to read! The book seems to be out of print.


message 13: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 56 comments Zanna wrote: "I have a pdf copy of This Bridge Called my Back, which I am happy to forward to anyone who wants it, though it's not the easiest thing to read! The book seems to be out of print."

I was going to take you up on your offer Zanna, but my library system has this. It will be a while before I can get to it however.


Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Sue wrote: "I always thought your reviewing was pretty excellent so does this mean you are doing more of it? I'm having difficulty keeping up with everyone's reviews since I've been reading so ridiculously muc..."

More that I have more faith in my abilities of late.


message 15: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie (elizabreath) | 3 comments On the spreadsheet note, I (had a cold this weekend and so) made one inspired by Aubrey's, with some good bells and whistles. What I really like is using lists like this to track my own "trends," and this list has so many indexes (nationality, people of color, etc.) you can really see your reading patterns emerge.

Here's the public link to get a copy, to use or improve:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/c...

It keeps a master read count, and a count of each subject (Art, Choices, etc.) It links to GR and Wikipedia. And I have it running some cool data, like:

Books about people of color in the U.S. make up 27% of the list. You have read 0 of 136. Books about lesbian and gay people make up 6%. You've read 0 of 33. Books about both make up 2%. You've read 0 of 8.

and

You have read 0% of the Autobiographies and Memoirs; 7% of Diaries, Journals, and Letters; 4% of Novels on the list. etc.

and

Books about Africa make up 4% of the list; you have read 0 of 22. Asia is 8%; you've read 0 of 40. etc.

So it will update those numbers as you mark books you've read with an "r."

I like it. Now we've just got a lot of reading to do!


message 16: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 56 comments Aubrey wrote: "Sue wrote: "I always thought your reviewing was pretty excellent so does this mean you are doing more of it? I'm having difficulty keeping up with everyone's reviews since I've been reading so ridi..."

Hang in there. I'm enjoying all I read though occasionally you are above my comprehension level on some issues. I'm working to catch up :)


message 17: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 56 comments Lizzie wrote: "On the spreadsheet note, I (had a cold this weekend and so) made one inspired by Aubrey's, with some good bells and whistles. What I really like is using lists like this to track my own "trends," a..."

very interesting. I find I've only read 25 if I've counted correctly and have 37 on my tbr.


Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Wow, Lizzie. That's a phenomenal piece of Excel work you've done there. I'm going to incorporate it up top so more people can find their way to it.


message 19: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie (elizabreath) | 3 comments Thanks! That's awesome!

Now, of course, the only problem is the panic over not living a life long enough to read everything I want to... agh.


Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments The great thing about making a group is you attract minions to do the reading for you.


message 21: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie (elizabreath) | 3 comments Haha! That's a good feature of this group, though, with all the obscure works -- I've become so dependent on reading up on books on the internet before I decide to get them (because I like it), but it's a totally different feeling when there's almost no description or reviews out there. The growth here will be awesome.


message 22: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue | 56 comments Yes it is so great to have reviews to help in selecting books to read. That's why I have few low rated reviews---I choose what to read quite carefully by my interests and likes and now by what my array of GR friends and acquaintances have reviewed. It really is working.


message 23: by Zanna (new)

Zanna (zannastar) | 180 comments Wow thank you Lizzie for the superb spreadsheet! I love it... Now I need to add the new books to my copy...


message 24: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy  | 22 comments The used/rare book website biblio.com has quite a few copies. I actually found one on their site being sold by a local bookstore. Instead of ordering it through the internet, I was able to buy direct from the store. Picked it up this afternoon. Much easier than I had expected. :)


Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments That's wonderful to hear, Sandy. I've put a link to the appropriate search on the site up top with due credit to you, of course.


Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments If anyone's interested in an easier (and more entertaining) way of keeping track of their 500 GBBW progress, I've linked to this List Challenge in the top post: http://www.listchallenges.com/500-gre...


message 27: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 250 comments Aubrey wrote: "If anyone's interested in an easier (and more entertaining) way of keeping track of their 500 GBBW progress, I've linked to this List Challenge in the top post: http://www.listchallenges.com/500-gr..."

Thanks for this, Aubrey. I read more this year than I realized, and may approach 50 before the end of the year. So much more to look forward to though ...


back to top