The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

77 views
TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2018 > 15.2 - In Memory Of.....

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Jun 02, 2018 11:14AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5349 comments Mod
15.2 - In Memory of...….
Book 1 - In memory of Stephen Hawking, read a nonfiction book with a main page genre of science, standalone or embedded.

AND
Book 2 - In memory of Tom Wolfe, read a single author book with the author's initials found in the phrase RADICAL CHIC. Letters may be used only as often as they appear in the phrase. All initials count.


message 3: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5349 comments Mod
Reserved


message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5349 comments Mod
This thread is now open!


message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Hi! Could you confirm the genre Science for Thunderstruck please? It's last on the main page list, so...


message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16706 comments Mod
Suzanne wrote: "Hi! Could you confirm the genre Science for Thunderstruck please? It's last on the main page list, so..."

noted


message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (perletwo) | 1627 comments Sandy wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Hi! Could you confirm the genre Science for Thunderstruck please? It's last on the main page list, so..."

noted"


thankeekindly :D


message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16706 comments Mod
Joanne wrote: "Could you note the genre science for To the Edges of the Earth: 1909, the Race for the Three Poles, and the Climax of the Age of Exploration please and thank you!"

genre noted


message 10: by Amy (last edited May 21, 2018 10:23PM) (new)

Amy | 1427 comments Can you please approve Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself for science. Thanks!


message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16706 comments Mod
Amy wrote: "Can you please approve Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself for science. Thanks!"

genre noted


message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3975 comments Not sure which I'll read .... please confirm SCIENCE for:

The Soul of an Octopus A Surprising Exploration Into the Wonder of Consciousness by Sy Montgomery and Polio An American Story by David M. Oshinsky

Thanks in advance.


message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16706 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "Not sure which I'll read .... please confirm SCIENCE for:

The Soul of an Octopus A Surprising Exploration Into the Wonder of Consciousness by Sy Montgomery and Polio An American Story by David M. Oshinsky

Thanks in advance."


genre verified for both.


message 14: by Siobhan (new)


message 15: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16706 comments Mod
Siobhan wrote: "Can I have Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus confirmed for mpg science?"

genre noted


message 16: by LouLouReads (new)

LouLouReads | 237 comments Do we have to include an author's middle initial if it's included? (e.g. "C" and "L" are both in RADICAL CHIC, but "S" is not - can I read something by CS Lewis?)

Thanks!


message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16706 comments Mod
LouLouReads wrote: "Do we have to include an author's middle initial if it's included? (e.g. "C" and "L" are both in RADICAL CHIC, but "S" is not - can I read something by CS Lewis?)

Thanks!"


Glad you pointed out my omission. All initials count. I'll change the task to reflect that.


message 18: by Emtecia (new)

Emtecia (em82) | 102 comments sorry is this a two book task


message 19: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16706 comments Mod
Emtecia wrote: "sorry is this a two book task"

Yes, it says book 1 and book 2.


message 20: by LouLouReads (last edited Jun 07, 2018 05:48AM) (new)

LouLouReads | 237 comments Please could you confirm science as a MPG for How to Survive a Plague: The Inside Story of How Citizens and Science Tamed AIDS? It's only shelved that way by 47 users so a bit worried it will fall off the bottom. Thanks.


message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16706 comments Mod
LouLouReads wrote: "Please could you confirm science as a MPG for How to Survive a Plague: The Inside Story of How Citizens and Science Tamed AIDS? It's only shelved that way by 47 users so a bit worri..."

genre noted


message 22: by LouLouReads (new)

LouLouReads | 237 comments Thanks!


message 23: by Emtecia (new)

Emtecia (em82) | 102 comments Sandy wrote: "Emtecia wrote: "sorry is this a two book task"

Yes, it says book 1 and book 2."


OK, thank you. Most task start with this is a two book tasks, then your options


message 24: by Sandy (last edited Jun 07, 2018 11:33AM) (new)

Sandy | 16706 comments Mod
Emtecia wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Emtecia wrote: "sorry is this a two book task"

Yes, it says book 1 and book 2."

OK, thank you. Most task start with this is a two book tasks, then your options"


That's a recent development.

See the FAQs for the general rule on how many books are normally required for a task in the various point ranges.


message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7906 comments can i please get Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams approved for science


message 26: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16706 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "can i please get Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams approved for science"

genre noted


message 27: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments For an embedded genre, would Science in the genre "science fiction" work?


message 28: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16706 comments Mod
Shanna_redwind wrote: "For an embedded genre, would Science in the genre "science fiction" work?"

No. Science fiction is a separate genre. Also, the book needs to be nonfiction.


message 29: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1525 comments Can you lock in science for this book? Start a Revolution: Stop Acting Like a Library


message 30: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16706 comments Mod
Tess wrote: "Can you lock in science for this book? Start a Revolution: Stop Acting Like a Library"

genre noted


message 31: by Trish (last edited Aug 14, 2018 11:27PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2696 comments So, I know which book I want to use for Book 1 - I Used to Know That: General Science - and the MPG Science is there, but for some reason it isn't showing the number of users. You need to click the top shelves link to see that it's 13.

Can I still use it for this task?


message 32: by Sandy (last edited Aug 15, 2018 05:06AM) (new)

Sandy | 16706 comments Mod
Trish wrote: "So, I know which book I want to use for Book 1 - I Used to Know That: General Science - and the MPG Science is there, but for some reason it isn't showing the number of users. You n..."

There's no general requirement of how many users shelved it that way - just that it shows up on the main page. The genre is noted.

I've noticed this happening sporadically - who knows why! The ways of GR can be mysterious...………………….

But it doesn't matter for our purposes.


message 33: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2696 comments Cheers, Sandy.


back to top