World, Writing, Wealth discussion

The Lounge: Chat. Relax. Unwind. > Would you run for public office?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments Many of us are critical of those in public office. Would you run for public office to make a change? Why or why not?

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16030 comments Run - probably not, but may walk slowly, if sacked as a mod here on GR -:)
I also believe that instead of complaining, it's logical to attempt improving things yourself..

message 3: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments Change the system from within.

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16030 comments Yep

message 5: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Nope! I am too honest to be a politician.

message 6: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments Michel wrote: "Nope! I am too honest to be a politician."

I've contemplated it, and then realised that I want to have an actual life. I assume that a good politician, working for their electorate, works flat out. And I'm not sure I could do the wheeling and dealing that seem to go hand in hand with it all.

I also have Michel's problem. (Which is a good problem to have!)

message 7: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments I have a friend who won a seat on the City Council. He's been surprised by the amount of time this job requires. He's made his money and has time to devote to the job. He's giving it serious effort, and I admire him for that. It has shown me, though, that you have to have an independent income in order to do the job, which necessarily denies the common man a seat at the table.

message 8: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16030 comments Unfortunately, my impression - the systems are often built in such a way that politicians are dependable and the best public interest is sometimes low on their list of priorities

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer No, I'm too honest. I don't know how to lie for the sake of votes or campaign support or make shady deals or...

message 10: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments Denise, on a local level, you might be able to win if your opponent has proved corrupt. Using that platform, you could make honest change.

message 11: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan The whole problem is that public office requires huge amounts of your time, and time spent schmoozing which would interfere with my passion for telling stories...

message 12: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Remember the line from the movie 'THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER', said by an American Secretary of Defense to the hero, Jack Ryan: 'I am a politician, which means that when I am not kissing babies I am stealing their lollipops.'

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Scout wrote: "Denise, on a local level, you might be able to win if your opponent has proved corrupt. Using that platform, you could make honest change."

I'd like to think that was true, but an 'honest politician' is an oxymoron, and it applies to the entire world.

message 14: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments Sadly, I think you're right. We elected two new members to our City Council, and they're disappointing me already. I had high hopes, but today I find that they're falling right in there with the entrenched politicians.

message 15: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16030 comments It's because we think they want to represent us, but they don't...

message 16: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments I do think some people begin by wanting to do the best thing for the most people, but the system is so corrupt that you can't work within it without becoming part of it.

message 17: by Terence (last edited Jun 06, 2018 11:34PM) (new)

Terence Park | 44 comments How high?
Changes at the top are mostly virtue signalling over the stuff you like and playing the obstructionist card to the stuff you don't. That's just how it is. As with Managing Directors / Chief Executive Officers in the private sector, Prime Ministers / Presidents reflect the ground work done by politicians / workers of all stripes. They are the Star-Spangled, Bulldog faced rubber stamps of approval. You get to make a real difference at ground level.
Including voluntary work I've been Chair to the Trustees at Relate Lancashire and I'm currently a Governor at Rhyddings Secondary School, Oswaldtwistle, Lancs. Neither position has a salary yet carries duties. Stretch the definition a little and I'm also a member of CIMA's Manufacturing Group.

message 18: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments Reading that made me tired.

message 19: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16030 comments Terence wrote: "Neither position has a salary yet carries duties...."

That deserves respect.
Ironically, in some places in Eastern Europe some ppl are least interested in their salary, just because bribes are so much higher -:)

message 20: by Melisa (new)

Melisa | 10 comments I want to be a politician, so yes, I'd run for public office.

message 21: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16030 comments Good luck, Melisa! Hope you'll realize your aspirations

message 22: by Anita (new)

Anita (neet413) | 78 comments Scout wrote: "I do think some people begin by wanting to do the best thing for the most people, but the system is so corrupt that you can't work within it without becoming part of it."

Absolutely this.

message 23: by Melisa (new)

Melisa | 10 comments Nik wrote: "Good luck, Melisa! Hope you'll realize your aspirations"

Thank you. The only difficulty is I want to be a "good politician", and those seem to be few and far between.

message 24: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) No, although a certain someone sure makes me think it's possible..

message 25: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16030 comments Melisa wrote: "Thank you. The only difficulty is I want to be a "good politician", and those seem to be few and far between."

You don't have to be like others.. And life is sometimes difficult anyway :)

message 26: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments We certainly need politicians who have principles that they won't compromise

message 27: by G.R. (new)

G.R. Paskoff (grpaskoff) | 257 comments Provided they are good principles.

message 28: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16030 comments Can be a catch 22 here: good people with good principles might be at disadvantage versus less particular working internal intrigues, sponsors, party's hierarchies and pretending to have better principles and impeccable reputation :)

message 29: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments Right, Nik, you just defined most politicians :-)

message 30: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1847 comments We say politician and usually mean mayors, senators, representatives, etc. Our local city council was not a big deal until the last 20 years and seats started actively being fought over. Before that, finding someone to do the job was hard enough.

Also, in Arizona, our judges, prosecutor, superior court clerk, are all elected positions. Does that make them politicians? It can become very political during some of the races.

A paralegal who was in one of my study groups to obtain her national certification (before being a paralegal actually became a degree from colleges) is now our clerk of the superior court in our county.

I would never want her job or any other office in government, political or not. I hate working within other people's systems and rules. I am more a see a problem, fix it type, and jumping through hoops before I can do so is just too frustrating.