Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Sales and Good deals > I'm not getting the HumbleBundle and here is why

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 4058 comments Mod
I was really interested in the Humble Bundle https://www.humblebundle.com/books/su...
But it looked like I already owned many of the offerings, so I researched and started a spreadsheet to find out what the others were and if it was worth it. As I did so, I encountered other reasons not to buy.

Here they are:
1) Many of the offered books are the same ones that have been for sale recently on Amazon, so if you have been buying the cheap Kindle versions, you don't need many of these. Plus, I have been thinking that some sales are beginning to recur.
2) Many of the books are cheaper ones, anyway. Like $6.15, for example.
3) Despite the name of the giveaway, many are not within the goals of this group. Though there is some great stuff, many are novellas or short stories, some have received other awards (not Nebula or Hugo), and some make no mention of awards at all. One seems to be neither SF nor F.
4) I'm not that interested in the non-fiction offerings
5) I can't tell what format the books will be in., though some have rights to unlimited audio listening at a website. I see there are multiple formats available, but I can't figure out how to see what those formats are unless I buy.
6) There are at least 3 that are "Season 1" of something that are apparently serials. Will those EVER end? (I hate cliffhangers.)

Yes, if I had none of the books that I have bought on Kindle deals I might do it despite the lack of format info.

Just look before you leap, is all.

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 722 comments I did buy it and am glad I did. I have no interest in some of them (especially the "series 1" books), but there were enough that I was interested in.

For format: almost all of them were available in 3 formats: mobi (kindle), epub, and pdf. I think two of them did not have mobi format, but all the others had all 3 formats, and the ones without mobi format can be converted using the program Calibre.

message 3: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 4058 comments Mod
Ed, thanks so much for the info about format. I do use a Kindle and maybe the next time they offer a HumbleBundle, I will not have so many of the books offered, so this info is welcome.

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 722 comments The only problem is, now that I own all these books, I'll feel guilty until I read them all!