Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive Nom. & Selection 08-19 > Nomination thread for Summer 2018 Group Read

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
It is time to start nominations for our group reads for summer, 2018.

What would you like to read for discussion? Feel free to nominate any book you would like, new releases, older releases, old classics, popular books, thought provoking books, non-fiction books, etc.

We will read the top vote receivers, whatever they may be!

If you nominate a book, please be willing and available to lead the discussion if the book is selected.

message 2: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella I always enjoy her writing

message 4: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4159 comments Do we have a decision for our summer read? I am wondering because I noticed on the new member thread that some new members think Desperation Road is our June read because it is still listed at the top of our page. Dates were not adjusted to reflect the shift we made to the schedule.

message 5: by Juliette (new)

Juliette | 40 comments I would like to nominate The Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne.

message 6: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

I just fixed Desperation Road being still listed. Thank you for pointing that out, Irene.

I was planning on leaving this thread for a bit longer to see if anyone else wanted to nominate something. If we don't get any more by the end of the week I will put up a poll, or we will just read the 3 nominated over the summer into the fall. :-)

message 7: by Petra (last edited Jun 01, 2018 07:36AM) (new)

Petra I'm going to withdraw my nomination. I am reading it for another group's activities and will need to finish it this month.....not a good candidate for our slower, more detailed reads, or not if I'm leading it as I forget when a book's discussion section ends/begins and that can lead to giving away the story. :D

Sorry, Sheila.

Both the other book recommendations are available at the library.

message 8: by Shirley J (new)

Shirley J (fastreader) | 4 comments Adding a nomination for an older, debut novel The Snow Child.

message 9: by Shirley J (new)

Shirley J (fastreader) | 4 comments adding another nomination for Rush Home Road

message 10: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Time to Vote: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Since there seems to be less interest in reading this summer we will just go with the winner, instead of multiple books.

So vote for what you would like to read and discuss with us this summer!

Please remember that if you are the person that nominated a book, and the book wins the vote, you will be leading the discussion here for the book.

message 11: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Okay ladies. The poll ends tonight, and we are currently in a 4-way tie with each book having 2 votes! LOL Either someone change your vote, or we need some new votes to get a winner!

message 12: by Petra (new)

Petra The 2 Surprise Me votes are discretionary for you to use as you wish, Sheila. We'll have a winner. :D

message 13: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4159 comments I would change my vote, but I already read 2 of the three choices. So, voted for the only I did not yet read.

message 14: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4159 comments So, what is the winner?

message 15: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Our winner is Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella.
Discussion leader will be Renee. Looks like a great read for summer time.
Renee, do you have a preference for when you would like to start this? The summer is yours, so please let me know when would be convenient for you while still giving ladies time to get their hands on a copy of the book.

message 16: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Renee, are you still interested in leading us in a discussion of "Surprise Me"?

message 17: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments I am. I have finished the book. It was funny and I think all will enjoy it. What do I need to do?

message 18: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Excellent Renee. Do you have a prefered start time for leading this? Feel free to work around any vacation plans you may have for the summer. Then just come up with a reading schedule, maybe breaking the book into 4 chunks for reading and discussion over 4 weeks time. I will start a new thread for you for this discussion.

message 19: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments Sounds good. I will give the discussion a start date of July 23 hope to see you there. I will work up the schedule and get it posted.

message 20: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments Hey all I am planning on putting the breakdown up sometime today. I have had a horrible week. My daughter had a fall doing a backflip cheerleading dismount. She has a broken arm and a sprained back.

My little princess does not do well with pain. (Please sense a little sarcasm with that last remark) I love her but her biggest concern is how the scars from the surgery to set the bone make her look. Oh and the other big problem is she can't fix her hair with one arm.

I cant wait until this age passes and my sweet girl returns.

Any I will post by the end of the day. Thanks for your patience.

Also does anyone know any good sites to learn braiding? If I could do some cute braids I think she would be happier.

message 21: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4159 comments O, I hope your daughter heals quickly. And I hope you have the patience to get through this period of her life.

message 22: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments Thank you so much for your kind words.

The book has eighteen chapters I would like to go with 3 chapters every week. If this is okay I will start tomorrow

Again thanks for all hyou patience

message 23: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

HI Renee,
I am so sorry to hear about your daughter! I hope she is feeling better!
3 chapters a week is fine.
There is a second thread just for this book read discussion, so please post the breakdown there. Thank you. :-)

message 24: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments ummm I already did . I also posted a qquestion