Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > McGuire, Seanan--Down Among the Sticks and Bones informal buddy read starts May 22, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 137 (137 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31607 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire.

Synopsis
Twin sisters Jack and Jill were seventeen when they found their way home and were packed off to Eleanor West’s Home for Wayward Children.

This is the story of what happened first…

Jacqueline was her mother’s perfect daughter—polite and quiet, always dressed as a princess. If her mother was sometimes a little strict, it’s because crafting the perfect daughter takes discipline.

Jillian was her father’s perfect daughter—adventurous, thrill-seeking, and a bit of a tom-boy. He really would have preferred a son, but you work with what you've got.

They were five when they learned that grown-ups can’t be trusted.

They were twelve when they walked down the impossible staircase and discovered that the pretense of love can never be enough to prepare you a life filled with magic in a land filled with mad scientists and death and choices.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments soooo, when do we start? ;)

message 5: by Elen (new)

Elen | 1106 comments That's the question!

I can start whenever everyone is up too! But asap would be great :)

Team Hermione Granger

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14770 comments Mod
I've put in a reserve at the library so I should have it early next week. Feel free to read ahead though and I'll catch up

message 7: by Elen (new)

Elen | 1106 comments Let's start on Monday or Tuesday, what you think?

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Tuesday sounds good. Leaves enough time to start something else in the mean time :)

message 9: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments I'm going to join you, I've been wanting to read the next books for awhile :)

message 10: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Oh hey Snow :)

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Hey ! I'm also joining in for Team Hermione.
After loving Every Hearts a Doorway so much I can't pass up the opportunity of reading the second book !

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments so Tuesday? ;)

message 13: by Elen (new)

Elen | 1106 comments Yes.

We will start the second book on 22 May 2018, Tuesday.

message 14: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Elen wrote: "Yes.

We will start the second book on 22 May 2018, Tuesday."

yes, that's fine :)

message 15: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1360 comments I just finished Every Heart a Doorway and I'm really looking forward to reading the second book. I'm heading to the library to pick up a copy of the now. I'm from Team Snape.

message 16: by Elen (new)

Elen | 1106 comments Today is the day for book 2.

I will start reading it today at night xD

message 17: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Yeah ! I'm going to listen to the audiobook this time too. Did you know it was narrated by the author? I didn't. It's a nice surprise.

message 18: by Elen (new)

Elen | 1106 comments No, I didn't.

I don't listen audiobooks, I prefer ebooks or "paper"books. But everything has first time, I can try it out as my library has this book available :D

message 19: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments chapter 1

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments i can't listen to audiobooks either [the info just goes in one ear and out the other] but that's really cool that she did that. is she the narrator for all of them or just this one?

message 21: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Devann wrote: "i can't listen to audiobooks either [the info just goes in one ear and out the other] but that's really cool that she did that. is she the narrator for all of them or just this one?"

No just this one. The first one was narrated by Cynthia Hopkins. I can tell you she was very good. And the third one by Michelle Dockrey.

I wish they used the same narrator for all of them. I usually don't like it when they change narrators from one book to another in the same series.

message 22: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Chapters 2-3

(view spoiler)

message 23: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4619 comments Joining in from team Newt.

message 24: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4619 comments Started and I think it will be interesting to have Jack and Jill’s book as we already know how some of their story goes.

message 25: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4619 comments Chapter 1

(view spoiler)

message 26: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4619 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "chapter 1

[spoiler]..."

Agree, (view spoiler)

message 27: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited May 22, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4619 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "I wish they used the same narrator for all of them. I usually don't like it when they change narrators from one book to another in the same series. "..."

That puts me off starting a series on audio if I see a change in narrators. I like having the same narrator within a series.

message 28: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Devann wrote: "i can't listen to audiobooks either [the info just goes in one ear and out the other] but that's really cool that she did that. is she the narrator for all of them or just this one?"

I second that. I can't just listen to audiobooks while doing anything else like tidying up or whatever. my mind always ends up wandering elsewhere... so reading it is! and I'll probably only start with this one tomorrow so I can get further into Magic Burns before switching around.

message 29: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Up to chapter 8

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Elen (new)

Elen | 1106 comments Part I: Chaper 1-3

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Elen (new)

Elen | 1106 comments Question:

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Rose (new)

Rose | 618 comments I've just started this. I was going to hold out, but I couldn't resist finding out what the heck happened with Jack and Jill. It's amazing how horrifying I find the parents. I think I'd pick a vampire over them any day.

message 33: by Claire (last edited May 22, 2018 12:48PM) (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Elen wrote: "Question:

[spoilers removed]"

Definitely (view spoiler)

message 34: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments chapter 9

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Finished !

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments went ahead and read chapters 1-6 today, will probably finish it tomorrow.

i'm so glad she chose to do jack and jill's background first because their experience definitely sounded the most interesting to me after reading the first book.

i, like everyone else, feel really bad for them because of their parents but i really like how seanan wrote them because 1. they are just very good 'villains' for the first part of the story and 2. it shows how people don't necessarily have to have bad intentions to do horrible things and mess up their children for life.

i love the moors in general and i love how there are actually several different parts to this 'world' and like jack and jill went for the dracula/frankenstein place but they could have easily gotten sucked into a cthulhu thing or the place with the wolves and the mountains. i wonder how many children have actually been to this same 'world' but maybe don't realize it because they have chosen different areas.

@whoever asked before who we would chose to go with: (view spoiler)

can't wait to re-read the second half of the book tomorrow, i remember there's some really great stuff coming up!

message 37: by Snowtulip (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Just got home from work, so I plan to start after dinner. I'm really wishing I had this one on audio, but ebook for me. I don't think I've ever listened to an author narrated audio before.

message 38: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1360 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Chapter 1"

I completely agree with you both. (view spoiler)

message 39: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1360 comments Chapter 1-3

So far I'm really enjoying the story. I'm drawn in just like with the first book. I'll try and finish it up tomorrow. I really really like the cover on this book. It seems to fit Jack and Jill and the world they end up in amazingly well.

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Snowtulip (last edited May 22, 2018 06:53PM) (new)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "chapter 1

."

Agree, (view spoiler)

message 41: by Devann (last edited May 23, 2018 07:19AM) (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments @Annalisa (view spoiler)

message 42: by Rose (new)

Rose | 618 comments sigh wrong thread! phone issues....

message 43: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited May 23, 2018 09:03AM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4619 comments Elen wrote: "Question:

[spoilers removed]"

I would have choosen (view spoiler)

message 44: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited May 23, 2018 09:03AM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4619 comments Up to chapter 8

I don’t know why, I’m not loving this as much as book 1.

(view spoiler)

message 45: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited May 23, 2018 09:12AM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4619 comments ✿ Claire ✿ ~ The Clever Berry wrote: "chapter 9

[spoiler]

Agree with you there. (view spoiler)

message 46: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited May 23, 2018 09:43AM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4619 comments Finished

(view spoiler)

message 47: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2730 comments just finished! so sad that i'm gonna have to wait until mid july to reread the 3rd one so it will count for the challenge BUT i will be lurking around the buddy read post before then when it goes up lol

anyway i think my favorite quote from this whole book is when jack is like 'I could give you children. you'd have to tell me how many heads you wanted them to have, and what species you'd like them to be' because it's just hilariously practical lol

random though: (view spoiler)

message 48: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4619 comments I loved that quote too.

message 49: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3800 comments Devann wrote: "random though:"

I had the same thought. (view spoiler)

message 50: by Elen (new)

Elen | 1106 comments I just finished it, but unfortunately, I didn't like it as much as the first one. But I will definitely continue with this series.

My final thoughts: (view spoiler)

PS. I will ask Mods for a thread for the third book if someone wants to read it too as BR.

« previous 1 3