Free book editing/beta reading discussion

Beta Reading/ Editing

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela Crawford | 3 comments Hi! My book is about a killer bear. It's my first one and I'm kind of lost with the whole editing and beta reader process. Any help or advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

message 2: by Meagan (new)

Meagan | 3 comments Mod
Hi Angela. Congratulations on finishing your first book! I'd be happy to help with editing the manuscript.

The editing process may sound a bit daunting, but it's really not. It's essentially a lot of back-and-forth until both the author and editor feel it's the best it can be.

Most book editors, including myself, offer substantial, line and copy editing/proofreading. Substantial editing looks at the book as a whole for areas plot, character development, structure, dialogue, setting, and others elements that could be improved. A good line edit determines whether a stronger word or phrase could be used, strengthens for active voice, removes wordiness, etc. And you know what a proofread is.

So when you hire an editor you can tell them exactly what kind of editing you want done. Or many writers will hand over the manuscript and ask for a complete edit--that's what I recommend doing. Beta reading is essentially the same thing, just a little more informal.

This is just a quick overview so I can certainly answer any other questions or concerns you have. Or if you'd like to move forward with an edit, send along your manuscript to typochondriac@mail.com. Thanks!

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela Crawford | 3 comments Thank you! I'll get it sent out right away. Do you have a file preference?

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela Crawford | 3 comments I sent it Pdf but can change it if you need it in a different file type.

message 5: by Meagan (new)

Meagan | 3 comments Mod
Thanks!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, my book is about Queen Esther and how she married the her husband and saved her people. The Jews. Its spiritual but I think it really does go deeper than that and i have added characters that weren't in the original story. It is really a romance about Esther and her husband.

I find it hard to find people who edit or read Historical Spiritual based on biblical stories and then I kind of get lost and confuse about the whole editing and beta reading thing. I have another novel completed that's historical romance and no religious themes but i really want to get this one edited 1st

message 7: by Meagan (new)

Meagan | 3 comments Mod
Hello, it sounds like you have an interesting novel there. I don't claim to be an expert on biblical/spiritual-based stories, but I have worked on a couple and should know enough to go on. At very least I can certainly help with all the other aspects of editing and could recommend someone else more "expert" on biblical themes should the need arise.

I'm just working on another manuscript at the moment but can get started in the next week or so. (Let me know if you are working on a specific time frame.) You can send your book to me at typochondriac@mail.com. If you like working with track changes then please send a Word/.doc file. And feel free to ask any questions you may have about the editing process :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

well I would like it to be edited by end of year preferably but I don't really have a time frame. Ok i would send you an email with Word/doc file. Thank you

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I am going email you the manuscript this afternoon

message 10: by Nico (new)

Nico Laeser (Nico_Laeser) | 1 comments Hello Meagan,

My name is Nico, I have a 45,500 word Manuscript, Fiction/paranormal, that I was about to send out for copy edit. Would you be interested?

message 11: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Chamberlin (goodreadscomdoctorryanc) | 2 comments Hello Meagan,
My name is Ryan, and I'm looking for a beta reader for a nonfiction book I've written on DIY medicine. The premise is: I've looked through the medical records of those that survived the Battle of Britain, then written a book on what people should expect in terms of illnesses and injuries common to disasters and war. The book then describes how to deal with and treat these maladies. Would you be interested?

message 12: by D.W. (new)

D.W. Collins (authordwcollins) | 1 comments My book FAST DRAW One Bullet to Hell needs beta readers/editors. If anyone is interested, let me know. dailyarv@gmail.com. Thanks a lot and look forward to hearing from you.

message 13: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Chamberlin (goodreadscomdoctorryanc) | 2 comments Hi Darren,

I'd be happy to beta read.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky Laney | 2 comments Balaney@ameritech.net