a true crime book club. discussion

Off Topic Discussion > I'm a slow reader.

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited May 17, 2018 07:54AM) (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) I watch all these booktubers who say they can read a novel in one sitting, or they can read a couple hundred pages in 2 hours.

HOW? Pfft, I wish. Then I could read all the books I want to get to in a month.

I timed myself. I can read about 20 or 25 pages AN HOUR. That's around 3 minutes A PAGE.

That means it takes me 4 or 5 hours just to read 100 pages.

It would take me 10 to 20 hours to read an average novel in one sitting lol.

You may say it doesn't matter, and you'd ultimately be correct, but I'd love to get my tbr piles down some time this century.

I always set my Goodreads Challenge to 20 books a year (uni makes this difficult too), and it's a lucky year in hades when I can achieve it.

Readathons are also a bitch. Seven books in seven days? Hope I don't like having a life!

Are you a snail too? An ancient desert tortoise? Or are you a CHEETAH? A snow leopard.

Emmie.Reads.Books | 95 comments I'm not a very slow reader (I happen to be one of those people that can read a book in one sitting if it is a fairly easy read.), but I am in medical school at the moment so I don't have the time to read like I want to. I guess it works out to be about the same outcome lol. I love this bookclub, but I know I won't be able to read as many of the books as everyone else simply due to time restriction. Much love, everyone!

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) Oh, yeah, Heaven was going on during finals.

I can't believe I actually finished it on time.

I'm so happy school's done for me until 2019. Now I can read more than one book at a time.

message 4: by M. (new)

M. (chellatrix) | 32 comments I guess I read at average speed. Some people do read genuinely fast, but some people probably just skim a lot, so I try not to think about what other people are doing, or saying they're doing.

message 5: by Savannah (new)

Savannah I read decently fast, depending on the book. I can read books that I really like pretty fast but books that I'm not really enjoying or are 'harder' reads take me longer.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary King (maryk13) | 13 comments I could never understand how people read so many books (100?) a year. I was very sick one year and did absolutely nothing but read and hit 50. I keep my goal at 30ish.

During the Dewey I did figure I did about 20 pages an hour as well (seems so slow! But you’re not alone lol - to be fair I am prob taking 5-15 mins of that talking to someone) but I think the secret is audiobooks.

I signed up w audible for this group and I’m flying through Gone in the Dark - I also picked up some of the Wheel of Time and wow such a fun way to go through a book a second time.

message 7: by Bianca (new)

Bianca  Dani Flores (danibinx) | 1 comments I have the opposite problem! I'm a freakishly quick reader. I burn through a book in a day. I love to read, but being a fast reader makes it a very expensive habit. I'm always moving on to the next book.

message 8: by Michelle (last edited May 17, 2018 12:28PM) (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) Mary wrote: "I could never understand how people read so many books (100?) a year. I was very sick one year and did absolutely nothing but read and hit 50. I keep my goal at 30ish.

During the Dewey I did figu..."

I can't comprehend the 100 books a year people either.

I've always avoided Dewey because I figure I'll read less than one book in a day, which would just make it the same as every other day. I see people picking out STACKS to read for it, and I'm like...wat?

I like to listen to audiobooks by the pool, so I won't get physical books wet, but my brain wanders so much. I've heard non-fiction is easier to listen to than fiction, so maybe that's my problem.

message 9: by Michelle (last edited May 17, 2018 12:26PM) (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) Bianca wrote: "I have the opposite problem! I'm a freakishly quick reader. I burn through a book in a day. I love to read, but being a fast reader makes it a very expensive habit. I'm always moving on to the next..."

Library!

I have the expensive habit too. It just ends up being more than I will ever read.

Thank god for thrift stores and used books on ebay.

Barnes & Noble is so full of pretty stuff though....

message 10: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments I can do two a week IF I'm focused. I usually average 6-7 a month and sometimes those include children's or short books. I'm definitely a slow reader. I've never read more than 3 books in a week for a readathon. I managed 3 for a 24 Hour one because two were children's and a graphic novel.

LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone | 30 comments I can read some books in one sitting depending on me actually having the spare time to sit down and just read. Right now I am reading A Court of Mist and Fury and though I am really enjoying the book so far it is taking me forever to read!

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Vets | 1 comments I read at a pretty decent pace but I take a lot of breaks since I get distracted very very easily. To try and avoid that, I put a tab every few chapters so I have a goal to stop at before I put it down. That way I can at least try and get something done lol

message 13: by James (new)

James I am a super slow reader also.so what I do now is read two books at a time. I have the book I read myself and then I read a long book to my kids every night. That way I knock two books out at once. I usually finish about 15 books a year

message 14: by M. (new)

M. (chellatrix) | 32 comments Jennifer wrote: "I read at a pretty decent pace but I take a lot of breaks since I get distracted very very easily. To try and avoid that, I put a tab every few chapters so I have a goal to stop at before I put it ..."

There's an app called Forest. You set a time where you will not be checking your phone, and then the app grows a shrub or tree. The more time you set it for, the more elaborate the tree.

If you use your phone before the time is up, your little tree dies.

Each week you can see the forest you build.

You also earn points that you can use to buy other varieties of trees, or can trade in for a real tree to be planted.

I've fallen out of the habit of using the app, because it had trained me to be more focused, but now I'm going to start again.

If anyone uses the app and wants to friend me, my email is ElyMNGator@gmail.com.

To friend in the app, you go to the friends option, then manage friends list, and then there should be an option to add using email.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) I just downloaded Forest a couple weeks ago.

I haven’t used it much yet.

What happens when the phone rings? Does your tree still die? Or does someone calling you not count?

message 16: by M. (new)

M. (chellatrix) | 32 comments Everyone I know texts me, but I think you're okay as long as you don't answer. :)

I believe as long as you don't instigate an action on your phone, your tree lives. I still get notifications, I just don't respond to them.

You also have a very short grace period before the tree dies, and will get a warning that you best stop what you're doing immediately.

The settings offers options that allow you to also make exceptions for apps that you might need for work.

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lee I'm also a slow reader and that's exactly how I like it. I like to actually read every single word at a comfortable pace. I can't enjoy a novel if I'm skimming (the only time I do that is when a mystery gets boring and I want to know who did it, lol).

I only read for about 20 minutes at a time and only when I feel like picking up a book (I read 2 or 3 at a time because I need to have choices). I can't sit and read for hours on end. I'm like a butterfly fluttering from here to there all day long. So, for this book club I will probably be lagging often and maybe even bypassing a book or two. That's okay. I'm enjoying being here. <3

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) I’m actually doing fine on the bookclub. Surprisingly. I’ve been finishing the books in under a week.

That’s good. Gotta have time for my own tbr too. Plus, I get distracted by library books.

message 19: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mgarner74) | 4 comments My reading speed always depends on the genre of book and my interest. I've read a few books 50-60 pages an hour and other books 20 pages an hour! Contemporary/romance are usually the fastest or a thriller that has me hooked. I've learned that when I read something too fast i forget the story quickly! So I think it's great and perfectly okay to read slow! We read for enjoyment anyway 😁

message 20: by Elena (new)

Elena Leyva (elenal95) | 1 comments I read slow also sometimes I get distracted and have to read the page over 2 or 3 times. I tried sitting and reading a whole book once and usually I can but I lose interest cause I’m basically forcing myself to read and reading is supposed to be fun

message 21: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Michelle wrote: "I’m actually doing fine on the bookclub. Surprisingly. I’ve been finishing the books in under a week.

That’s good. Gotta have time for my own tbr too. Plus, I get distracted by library books."

"Plus I get distracted by library books"

Haha, same. I'm pretty sure I check out more than I actually read XD

message 22: by Lulu (new)

Lulu | 8 comments Emily wrote: "I'm not a very slow reader (I happen to be one of those people that can read a book in one sitting if it is a fairly easy read.), but I am in medical school at the moment so I don't have the time t..."
I read for a living, so reading for fun is slow going. I am going to use it as an opportunity to skip the books I don't want to read and focus on the few I want to and am able to. I am already 2 books behind :-) Hang in there and go at your own pace. It is just fun!

message 23: by merina (new)

merina rey (readwithmerinarey) | 1 comments I don’t understand how people can finish a book in one sitting either. However, I did time myself the other day and I average 40-45 pages an hour. That’s being really immersed into the book with little to no distractions!

message 24: by A (new)

A | 23 comments There are courses that can help teach u speed reading. I know nothing about them. But I’ve heard of that

message 25: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments I'm a slow reader too! I get distracted very quickly and also get bored so I jump from book to book depending on my mood. I have managed to read 100 books but that is because I added audio books to my reading. I'm the type that has to read every single word! If I start skipping words then I get annoyed and drop down a star. I also DNF books often. I've never actually timed my reading though. I have only read one book in a day. A Good 5 star book can take me 3 to 4 days. Most of my reads are 3 stars so it may take me days or even months to complete.

message 26: by Mandee (new)

Mandee Lei (mandeelei) If it weren't for audiobooks I wouldn't be able to consume half as many books as I currently do. Libby, the library app, also helps. I was not into e-books at all but having a book on my phone at all times is helpful so that when I am stuck somewhere instead of looking at Instagram or whatever, I read a few pages of my book. Also, since the book has to be automatically returned after 14 days I have to hustle if I want to finish it. Having that deadline helps me as well. Reading physical books for me has always been my preference but it is slow going.. I get distracted and have to read pages over and over. But for some reason I don't have that problem (as much) with e-books? I also like to have 1 audiobook/1 ebook/1 physical book going so I can switch between depending on my mood. If you are into graphic novels, I would suggest adding them as well because they tend to go by much faster for me. As for the cost, I am super cheap. I love library books, the Libby app, occasionally Book Outlet and the used bookstores.