Laurie R. King Virtual Book Club discussion

Outlander (Outlander, #1)
This topic is about Outlander
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Off-Topic > Outlander

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Erin (tangential1) | 1638 comments Mod
Hello friends! So I've been thinking about the new tv series of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander that is supposed to be starting in just a couple of weeks and it occurred to me there might be a few Outlander fans here in our group.

Personally, I'm a little torn. I'm excited to see the historical settings, but I'm concerned that the drama is going to come across more....over the top on the screen than in the book.

Anyone else looking forward to the show? Or pointedly avoiding it?

message 2: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Bonaparte (goodreadscomdiva_books) | 3 comments I am very curious about the movie, hopefully it will enhance the novels, rather than destroying this wonderful series.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate | 16 comments I've tried the first book, and can see the appeal but never got caught up in the series myself. Several of my friends, however, have read all of Gabaldon's books and are breathlessly awaiting the TV series. They are all encouraged by the trailers and snippets seen thus far. Fingers crossed ...

message 4: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat (pklein) | 302 comments I too, have mixed feelings...I got half way through the 4th or 5th book and just put it away...the story was interesting and seemed to be going somewhere 'historical' at that point, but I think I was just worn down from all the 600-1000 pagers I'd been tucking away. I think my visit to Scotland and Culloden really added to my appreciation...and the Brits are so awfully good at costume drama--I'll give it a chance.

The number of fans whom I've heard complain about the actors not being exactly how they imagined the characters! Oy. That comes with every book adaptation, though. Hermione Granger got so much flack for not having bushy hair, for example. I'm sure all the fans will get super into the show once it starts, though.

The book about Culloden was my favorite in the series! Now that we're into American Revolution territory, it's just not as interesting.

I read all the way up to the most recent one (haven't read that one yet). Reading this series is kind of like watching a train wreck, I feel; I just can't look away and I want to know what happens in the end. I'm debating picking up the new book; I've finally pulled my attention to other stories and I don't want to get sucked back in, LOL.

message 6: by Kay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kay | 13 comments I am excitedly waiting on the premiere of the TV series although I have only read the first book. My issue is that I started the second, Dragonfly in Amber, and lost interest fairly early. Part of the problem is that I had another tempting book waiting in the wings. I am looking for some reasons to go back to Dragonfly in Amber....

Re the series premiere, IMBD gives a brief description of the plot and it seems to diverge from the book ALREADY. It has been a while since I read Outlander or it could be a problem with IMBD. Hopefully, the latter is true. Diana Gabalron seems very happy with the series.

message 7: by Erin (last edited Jul 31, 2014 02:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

They had a panel at Comic Con in San Diego last week (which I couldn't get tickets for, but luckily it's posted to youtube!). I have to say, I'm way more excited about the show after a) seeing the teaser clip, b)meeting the actors c)remembering that Ron Moore (he of Battlestar Galactica fame) is the producer.

http://youtu.be/zGQXVWBWrJ8

message 8: by Laural (last edited Jul 31, 2014 08:53PM) (new) - added it

Laural | 1 comments I saw episode one on Tuesday night. Let me just say that Sam IS Jamie. I tried - I really tried - to remain rational, observe, analyze the acting, see how well the actors inhabited the characters… and I got sucked in anyways. Yikes!

There are scenes in the show which are not in the book. However, they were added *with* Diana's blessing - and for me they enhanced Claire's character just that much more.

The sex scenes are - well, SEXY! I was surprised to find that they were rather tasteful, (IMHO) given that this is Starz we are talking about here.

I already know I am going to wait up late on Saturday night to watch it live online *again*. Hopefully m'own hot hubby will agree to let me add Starz to our cable bill. If not… I'm going to have to hang my hopes on a deal between Starz and Amazon or ITunes.

Thanks for the review, Laural!

My cable provider seems to let you add/remove pretty easily. And the show is on Aug/Sept and then a mid-season hiatus until like January or something (Boo to split seasons). So $10 for two months and then dump it and then pick it up again at the start of the year. That's my backup plan. Fist plan is to talk them into switching my HBO over; I got it free for a year when I agreed to tv service when I moved, but there's nothing on it that I want to watch.

message 10: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat (pklein) | 302 comments I took HBO for GOT and became so disenchanted with the series (and the books) that I could probably leave it at this stage....True Detective would be hard to give up though. May try your suggestion...

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

FYI: I just read that Starz is offering the first episode for FREE online (starz.com) and On Demand starting tomorrow (8/2)!! It'll be available to watch until Sept 28th.

Woot!

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (anarchycupcakes) | 1 comments Okay, I've been watching this, and it actually makes me want to give the books another go! I love when that happens.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.