Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Missing forward in republication

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mel (Epic Reading) (mel-epicreading) | 3 comments So I’ve got a copy of The Iron Heel by Jack London (Dover 2009 edition). Bought brand new with no pages missing.
And it’s the weirdest thing... my husband and I have discovered that the (critical) forward by London to the ‘novel’ (which is a fictional manuscript) is missing. Even though Dover notes that it’s the unabridged version of the book.

My question is: is it appropriate to note someone in the book details here on Goodreads that the forward is missing from this edition?

I’d hate for someone else to have the same confusion my husband had in the first 30 pages about the commentary footnotes...
thoughts?

Thanks!

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45482 comments Mod
What ISBN does your edition have?

Mel (Epic Reading) (mel-epicreading) | 3 comments ISBN 13: 978-0-486-47365-9
ISBN 10: 0-486-47365-1

Ours match the ones listed for it on Goodreads. This one here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...
And I didn’t see any reference to a missing forward anywhere... but not sure if we can put a note like that in.

I’m going to see if I can get my hands on another hard copy of the same edition to confirm we didn’t just get a misprint. But based on page count, table of contents, etc. It doesn’t look like a misprint.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45482 comments Mod
There's no reference to a foreword anywhere on that edition. I wouldn't say anything is missing -- it just doesn't have one.

In fact, of the 400+ editions, only a handful appear to include a foreword.

Mel (Epic Reading) (mel-epicreading) | 3 comments So odd because when we read the foreword online it’s critical to understanding the whole novel.
Huh.
Thx for your help!