Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Age of Myth (The Legends of the First Empire, #1)
This topic is about Age of Myth
Previous BOMs - Authors; Q - T > Sullivan, J Michael--Age of Myth informal buddy read starts June 4, 2018

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 16, 2018 04:26PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31614 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan.

Synopsis
Michael J. Sullivan's trailblazing career began with the breakout success of his Riyria series: full-bodied, spellbinding fantasy adventures whose imaginative scope and sympathetic characters won a devoted readership and comparisons to fantasy masters Brandon Sanderson, Scott Lynch, and J.R.R. Tolkien himself. Now Age of Myth inaugurates another six-book series set in Elan.

Since time immemorial, humans have worshipped the gods they call Fhrey, truly a race apart: invincible in battle, masters of magic, and seemingly immortal. But when a god falls to a human blade, the balance of power between humans and those they thought were gods changes forever.

Now only a few stand between humankind and annihilation: Raithe, reluctant to embrace his destiny as the God Killer; Suri, a young seer burdened by signs of impending doom; and Persephone, who must overcome personal tragedy to lead her people. The Age of Myth is over. The time of rebellion has begun.

Don't miss any of Michael J. Sullivan's Legends of the First Empire novels: Age of Myth | Age of Swords | Age of War (Summer 2018) | Age of Legend (Summer 2019) | Age of Death (Spring 2020) Age of Empire (Fall 2020)

Best-seller lists, awards, and industry recognition:
Washington Post Bestseller (#2 Hardcover) | #1 Audible Bestseller | Barnes & Noble Bestseller in Science Fiction and Fantasy (July, August, & September 2016) | Audiofile Earphones Award Winner | Goodreads Choice Award Nominee | Named to 30+ Best-of or Most-anticipated lists including those compiled by Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads, Audible, and Audiofile Magazine

Praise for Age of Myth:
"Sullivan brings his masterful world-building and agile imagination to bear on a host of interesting characters and a story that feels new and vibrant." -- Barnes and Noble Fantasy Blog

Age of Myth bears the hallmark storytelling genius that we have all come to love of Michael's work. It's fast-paced, intimate, and beautifully cultivated." -- Fantasy Book Review

"Age of Myth is an entertaining traditional fantasy action adventure epic with a few twists." -- SFF World

"The world-building is exemplary; the characters are as diverse as any group of people can produce-the good, the foolish, the arrogant, the brave, the corrupt, the vicious, the honorable. The plot is exciting and full of energy. I loved it." -- Book Garden

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I’ll join in on this buddy read (Team Tonks). I love this author!

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments ooh I'm totally in for this one (Team Lupin) :D

message 6: by Karishma (last edited May 20, 2018 06:43AM) (new) - added it

Karishma (karishmanewar) I'm in for this one but I will be starting a bit sooner.
(Team Tonks)

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments I’m going to try to to this one - so many good BRs!! Ack

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments I started this one last night, loving the high fantasy setting so far!

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments I'm in for this one!

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments Finished this today! How's everyone else doing?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I started then got distracted by other books. Will start again on Monday.

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments I’ll join in if you guys move on to book 2. It’s just been sitting there staring at me dejectedly forever. Lol!

Deanna | 2961 comments Finished chapters 1 - 8.

This is my first book by Sullivan, so I don't really have any expectations at this point.

Raithe - (view spoiler)

Persephone - (view spoiler)

Suri and the wolf are my favorite characters so far. Always doing and saying the unexpected.

Magda - (view spoiler)

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments Deanna wrote: "Finished chapters 1 - 8.

This is my first book by Sullivan, so I don't really have any expectations at this point.

Raithe - [spoilers removed]

Persephone - [spoilers removed]

Suri and the wolf ..."

Magda - (view spoiler)

message 15: by MelanieJoy (last edited Jun 12, 2018 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments I also just finished ch 1-8.

Fave character (view spoiler)

Ship idea (view spoiler)

I also don't have any expectations, but in the author's note, Sullivan noted that he writes his whole series before publishing even the 1st book. This way he can wrap up all the of the storylines and make sure you can tie a bow on it when it's all said and done. And he said he's not rushed to complete deadlines this way either, because they're all written. I thought that was really interesting, and it helps me because even though I may not know where the story is going, I can trust the author to have a plan (even though who know if I'll like the plan or plot, haha).

Deanna | 2961 comments MelanieJoy wrote: "I also just finished ch 1-8.

Fave character [spoilers removed]

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Trinia (new) - added it

Trinia | 2255 comments Starting this one today!

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Deanna wrote: "Finished chapters 1 - 8.

Suri and the wolf ..."

His Theft of Swords series is one of my favorites if just for the characters of Hadrian and Royce. This series is set in the same world but waaaayyyyyy earlier.

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments Finished through chapter 18

(view spoiler)

Persephone is my favorite! She's strong and wise and doesn't back down. Good job on writing a strong female, Sullivan!! Props to you.

Deanna | 2961 comments After a couple of days dealing with garden produce, I managed to get through chapter 18 today as well.

Trilos - (view spoiler)

Arion - (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2961 comments MelanieJoy wrote: "Finished through chapter 18

Dang, it's getting intense but yeah it'll take a while to resolve. I definitely hate the narcissistic Gryndal and it looks like there's going to be a bunch of lives lo..."

I agree with your perception of Gryndal. Although it's pretty arrogant of him to accept being called another boulder after Trilos story about the first one.

message 22: by Trinia (new) - added it

Trinia | 2255 comments I'm listening to the audiobook story. I have the ebook and usually try to read along.. especially with such "foreign" names. But I've been too busy to pick it up. Which means, I'm finding so many characters tough to follow. I appreciate having this buddy read and from your previous comments it sounds like characters intentions aren't very clear.
What I do know is that I agree with Persephone, she is a great character and I appreciate that she isn't a teenage girl. Seems like so many books these days have a teenage girl as the MC. They are fun, but I'm ready for a more mature character.

I enjoyed the beginning with Raithe and Malcolm. After all the other characters got involved, I've had some trouble following. I'm planning on pushing through and hoping things become more clear ;D

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments It's a very witty book, so if you follow along well you'll catch the dry humor. Also the book tries to accomplish a lot, it has to set up the series and build the world so we just get hints of each character. But he does a good job with just starting out. I'm looking forward to Age of Swords, book 2. He wrote that it was his favorite of all of them.

message 24: by Trinia (new) - added it

Trinia | 2255 comments Melanie, I can definitely see that. And I listened to his foreword where he explained how he writes all of his books before they are released. I thought that was pretty smart! I always wondered how authors had so much forethought for a series! He seems to have the solution.
I can see that I will re-read this book again , especially before going onto #2.
Also, just realized my audiobook is off on chapter count... I’m just starting chapter 18. So may have added to my “confusion”... lol

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments Trinia wrote: "What I do know is that I agree with Persephone, she is a great character and I appreciate that she isn't a teenage girl."

Totally agree - enjoying that aspect as well.

I really like Theft of Swords as well. This book took me a little longer to get into - really started happening when everyone was together in the village - Sullivan does dialogue and character building well. I am interested to see where he takes the element of race vs tribe vs clan aspect.

Interesting that they say Fhrey can't kill each other - must be an exception in Fane challenges then?

message 26: by Trinia (new) - added it

Trinia | 2255 comments Teddie-I just finished Chapter 17, and it almost sounds like they’re saying it’s more of an unspoken rule rather than an impossibility for Fhrey to kill Fhrey . Is that how you interpreted it too?

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments Trinia wrote: "Teddie-I just finished Chapter 17, and it almost sounds like they’re saying it’s more of an unspoken rule rather than an impossibility for Fhrey to kill Fhrey . Is that how you interpreted it too?"

I first thought it was just a rule or tradition - and it probably is - but it's ambiguous ... maybe another myth that they've grown to accept, like the fhreys being gods.

Deanna | 2961 comments It seemed to me that it was law with only the one in charge able to make exceptions. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Trinia (new) - added it

Trinia | 2255 comments I think your right Deanna... so I guess that would make it a “spoken” rule instead of my previously stated “unspoken” rule ;D

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments I was really pleasantly surprised by the humour aspect of the writing! Most high fantasy novels tend to be quite serious but I found myself laughing a few times in this, mostly at Malcom's dry humour.

Also, I definitely agree with how nice it is to have more mature MCs!

Deanna | 2961 comments Megan wrote: "I was really pleasantly surprised by the humour aspect of the writing! Most high fantasy novels tend to be quite serious but I found myself laughing a few times in this, mostly at Malcom's dry humo..."

The humor was definitely a surprise. Even Raithe manages a bit of humorous sarcasm a few times that had me laughing.

Deanna | 2961 comments Finished!

Raithe - (view spoiler)

Konniger - (view spoiler)

Arion - (view spoiler)

Suri - (view spoiler)

Nyphron - (view spoiler)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m so late but I just finished the first 10 chapters. It was hard for me to get into this book because it wasn’t as fun and funny as the other books by this author. I guess I just miss the camaraderie of Royce and Hadrian. But now I am hooked into the story. I love Suri and Malcolm. (view spoiler)

I also see hints of things that show up in the later books in this world which is very cool!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Deanna wrote: "Finished chapters 1 - 8.

Suri and the wolf ..."

Regarding Persephone (view spoiler)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

MelanieJoy wrote: "I also just finished ch 1-8.

Fave character [spoilers removed]

Ship idea [spoilers removed]

I also don't have any expectations, but in the author's note, Sullivan noted that he writes his whole..."

I agree that it’s nice to know that the author has already wrapped up all the loose ends so the end of the series should be very satisfying.

message 36: by Deanna (last edited Jun 21, 2018 06:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deanna | 2961 comments Talia wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Finished chapters 1 - 8.

Sur..."

message 37: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 22, 2018 12:13PM) (new)

I finished chapters 11-20. I am liking Persephone a little more now. Still love Suri, and Minna is becoming a favorite! I was a little bored with Arion's chapters (view spoiler)

Very much disliking Gryndal, and Mawyndule seems like a foolish pawn that is going to be played and used. Lothian doesn't seem too bright either.

The prophecy - (view spoiler)

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

MelanieJoy wrote: "Finished through chapter 18

Dang, it's getting intense but yeah it'll take a while to resolve. I definitely hate the narcissistic Gryndal and it looks like there's going to be a bunch of lives lo..."

I can't figure Trilos out, but he is making me want to know what is behind that door!

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments Talia wrote: "MelanieJoy wrote: "Finished through chapter 18

Dang, it's getting intense but yeah it'll take a while to resolve. I definitely hate the narcissistic Gryndal and it looks like there's going to be ..."

Me too! He seems older than the others - maybe age has made him a little eccentric. Looking forward to learning more in the next book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Theft of Swords (other topics)
Age of Myth (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael J. Sullivan (other topics)