Mystery Madness discussion

Murder in the Mystery Suite (Book Retreat Mysteries, #1)
This topic is about Murder in the Mystery Suite
#Book1CoziesClub > BotM June through August 2018 - Murder in the Mystery Suite (Book Retreat Mysteries)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Di (last edited May 24, 2018 10:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Di (disis19) | 732 comments Mod
This will be our discussion thread for this book. Please be sure to hide your spoilers if there is something that you would like to discuss. The best way to do this is to note what chapter you're on, then hide any spoilery parts. If you do post your review on your favorite social media site, please tag it with #Book1CoziesClub so we can find it. Also, please feel free to link your review here!

Edit: We will be changing this to a quarterly book club ^-^ Thanks for the input Kristi & Elizabeth

I'm thinking of changing this from a monthly club to a quarterly one. My reading has slowed down considerably because I just do not have time to read physical books anymore. This would mean that this selection would be the book we read and discuss through August. Then we'll have a new selection in September to read through November, then we'll choose a holiday one for December. What are your thoughts on this? Any suggestions or ideas are welcome ^-^

message 2: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (ordinaryknitter) | 43 comments Di wrote: "This will be our discussion thread for this book. Please be sure to hide your spoilers if there is something that you would like to discuss. The best way to do this is to note what chapter you're o..."

I like the idea of quarterly. When I begin a series, I like to read all of the installments. So, I can't keep with beginning a new series every month. I'm trying to finish reading back through the Hannah Swensen series right now. I would love to begin the Book Retreat mysteries next.

message 3: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks got your input Kristi! It does make it hard to fit in subsequent books in series since we're starting a new one every month. I've only gotten to the 3rd book in the Hannah Swensen series so far, but it is one I want to progress through it eventually. Especially because I want to see all the recipes!

message 4: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (ordinaryknitter) | 43 comments Di wrote: "Thanks got your input Kristi! It does make it hard to fit in subsequent books in series since we're starting a new one every month. I've only gotten to the 3rd book in the Hannah Swensen series so ..."

I started the series when it was originally released years ago. I got tired of one aspect of the series, so I put it aside for awhile.

I purchased and read the Joanne Fluke's Lake Eden Cookbook: Hannah Swensen's Recipes from the Cookie Jar earlier this year. If your library has a copy, I think that it is definitely worth a read. It has a short story sprinkled throughout and a lot of the recipes from the series.

message 5: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

Interesting! Thanks for the tip ^-^

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 335 comments Mod
I really like the quarterly idea too Di. I have a difficult time wrapping my mind around starting twelve more series every year, plus the ones that I already plan to start, but four new ones is about right. I'm still planning to go back and read a few that I've missed and will leave comments in the appropriate threads when I do.

Is it okay if I mention the changes to #Book1CoziesClub on my channel?

message 7: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elizabeth wrote: "I really like the quarterly idea too Di. I have a difficult time wrapping my mind around starting twelve more series every year, plus the ones that I already plan to start, but four new ones is abo..."

Hi Elizabeth! Yes, it's fine to mention it on your channel. So we'll run it as I mention above for the rest of this year. Next year, it will be Jan-Mar, Apr-June, July-Sept, Oct-Dec, but we'll probably have an extra holiday pick for December ^-^

message 8: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm reading this one currently. So far it's interesting and I wish we had something like this that I could attend. Maybe we do, I don't know. If you know of any book retreats, let me know!

Anyway, I just came across something that was unexpected. I was expecting a straight forward cozy but something just came up that makes it not so. Also, I'm not liking how the author has to always make a comment about how overweight the main character's aunt is.

message 9: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished this one today. If you're interested in my thoughts, my review is here

I listened to a good portion of this on audio. While I thought the narrator did a good job, the voices she did for the two children were much louder than the adults, even when they were just speaking casually. Every time they would pop up, I'd have to turn down the volume as the pitch was piercing. Maybe the narrator wanted to make it seem like they were yelling all the time, but that's not really believable for me. Other than that, I would recommend the audiobook. I borrowed mine from Hoopla.

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 335 comments Mod
I'm so glad you mentioned the audio. I hadn't even thought to check and see if it was on Hoopla. I just borrowed and downloaded it. I'll check back in and give my thoughts when I'm done.

message 11: by Di (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elizabeth wrote: "I'm so glad you mentioned the audio. I hadn't even thought to check and see if it was on Hoopla. I just borrowed and downloaded it. I'll check back in and give my thoughts when I'm done."

Yay! Excited to hear what you think.