Beta Reader Group discussion

In Perpetuity
This topic is about In Perpetuity
PAID services requested > CLOSED - Betas required in June for (soft) sci-fi

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 43 comments Hi all,

I'm looking for a variety of betas for my new release, due in September. Please have a look at blurb and if interested let me know by PM.

I am looking for:
*overall story reaction, likes/dislikes (all comments welcome, I don't mind if you hate it!)
*major gaps, major flaws (in clarity - though some might be purposeful), or major questions (again, some purposeful - this will help me know where I've gone right or wrong, believe it or not)
*any underdeveloped/flat characterisation that sticks out
*pace/story lags

Please state:
*your favourite genres
*your rates
*your turnaround
*your available June slot
*your experience/recent beta reads and/or author feedback (which can be left here if you like, to help others)
*your normal feedback style (inline comments, written review etc.)

As most indies, I'm on a budget. I'm looking for broad not deeply detailed feedback - being so close to the story I can't see the wood for the trees at the moment - but I'll choose betas on the variety of your tastes and experience, I'd like a mixed bunch (hence your favourite genre)!

Many thanks,
Jess

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara  (goodreadscomliterarybird29) | 23 comments Hi Jessica,

I sent you a private message!

Best,

Sara

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris83) | 78 comments My most-read genre in my life has been science fiction. I take work as it comes, so I'd be available at any point in June. I can usually get the job done in two or three days, depending on the page count. I've read for a handful of self-published authors. You can see a couple of reviews on my website. I'm still a little new on the scene. I've tried a few styles for feedback, and I like to work from a list of questions that I glance at and ask myself as I read. I then give feedback in paragraph form, categorized, and usually two or three pages long.

I’ve read over 630 books in the past five years. You don’t read that many books without learning to pick out what makes stories work. Additionally, I practice critical reading and have studied creative writing. With two novels under my belt, I’m confident I can pinpoint any problems your manuscript has.

My feedback is prompt, organized, honest, and constructive.

Here are a few of the things I will be examining:
Plot structure and pace
Character development
World building
Plot holes
Dialogue problems
Scene structure

My favorite genres:
Science Fiction
LGBT
Romance
Horror
New Weird
(I will read most genres.)

I charge $1 per 1,000 words. Contact me for a custom order. My prices are flexible. I also offer copyediting.

My Website

message 4: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Chaput (cassandrachaput) | 7 comments Jessica wrote: "Hi all,

I'm looking for a variety of betas for my new release, due in September. Please have a look at blurb and if interested let me know by PM.

I am looking for:
*overall story reaction, likes/..."

Messaging you!:)

message 5: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 43 comments Thanks all on this thread and for the PMs - I'll get back to you within a couple of days, so many thanks for your patience!

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Holton (lauren_holton) | 9 comments Hi! Are you still looking for a beta reader?

message 7: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 43 comments Lauren wrote: "Hi! Are you still looking for a beta reader?"

Hi Lauren,

Send me over your details as per my initial post and I'll get back to you. I'm trying to get a wide range of readers so a bigger pool is better. :)

I will probably do a second round closer to the release too, so if you or any others aren't on the list this time, I'd be happy to get in touch in a couple of months closer to publishing.

Many thanks,
Jess

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Holton (lauren_holton) | 9 comments Hi Jess! Will do :)

message 9: by Cimone (new)

Cimone Watson | 94 comments Hi Jessica,

I'm interested, but I don't see a way to DM you. I work as an acquisitions editor with a publishing company, as well as a freelance editor and beta reader. I do sample betas. My favorite genres are Adult Thriller and YA scifi. I charge $0,75/1k words for the first 80k, and $1 for each 1k words above that. I usually do a written review for a beta read. I can add inline comments, but I'd surcharge it by 15% for that. This is all negotiable. I'm available June 1-15. If you are interested, please DM me or email me at cimone.watson1@gmail.com.

message 10: by mars (new)

mars (wlwbooks) | 21 comments I just sent you a message!

message 11: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 43 comments Many thanks all. I have a full quota and have contacted all who sent me a message!