Goodreads Ireland discussion

Geographical Challenge 2018 > Fourth Waypoint of the Geographical Challenge

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bookworm with Kids This is the fourth waypoint of the Geographical Challenge and it will bring us up to the half-way mark of the year on the 30th June. I am reading my book for Czechoslovakia - I Was a Boy in Belsen by Tomi Reichental. It is quick enough to read. The author was a 9 year old boy when he and his family were deported to Bergen-Belsen concentration camp. The writing reflects the age of the author, he accepts things that happen that adults would probably explore further. Having said that, you can read between the lines to what is going unsaid and the fear the people must have lived in, even before the deportations.

Peter (on semi hiatus and trying to catch up) (peterdonnelly) | 35 comments I plan to read the classic One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez as my Colombia read. This will finish South America.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil Peter wrote: "I plan to read the classic One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez as my Colombia read. This will finish South America."

the only book i've read three times

my current progress on the countries of the danube

germany - dance by the canal by kerstin hensel
austria - measuring the world by daniel kehlmann
slovakia - ?
hungary - the world goes on by laszlo kraznahorkai
croatia -
serbia -
romania -
bulgaria -
moldova -
ukraine -

so 3 out of 10 so far. i also have ordered belladonna by dasa drndic for croatia and diary of a shortsighted adolescent by mircea eliade for romania

so that leaves 7 to read, 5 of which to figure out what to read

message 4: by Bookworm with Kids (last edited Jun 19, 2018 01:37PM) (new)

Bookworm with Kids So I have gotten a bit ahead of myself and have read my fifth book - The Door by Magda Szabó for my Hungarian leg of the Orient Express. It was an interesting read but I wasn't completely taken with it. Again, I didn't particularly like the main characters. I liked the dog, Viola, though!
Onwards to Romania now...