What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Shackle and Sword
This topic is about Shackle and Sword
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. YA/Fantasy or Sci-Fi - Main protagonist has sister named Amethyst. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moose (new)

Moose | 3 comments I read this book in the 90s. It was a YA sci-fi novel that took place in a fantasy world, and it was about a brother and sister (possibly twins) who got separated when they're kids. The main storyline is about the brother (Talon? Tanis? Tallon? Tarran?). He is sold into slavery but pretty quickly taught to fight (I don't remember by whom). At some point he is reunited with his sister, named Amethyst - possibly in a tavern with her working as a barmaid. She has lavender eyes. Eventually they are reunited with their father (I think).

I don't remember much else, unfortunately, but I read this book over and over as a kid and have periodically searched for it over the years, to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I read the book in the English language, in the U.S.

Thank you!!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36601 comments Mod
K, what elements of the story make this science fiction or fantasy? Can you describe their world?

message 3: by Moose (new)

Moose | 3 comments Kris wrote: "K, what elements of the story make this science fiction or fantasy? Can you describe their world?"

Hi Kris - thanks for the response. Unfortunately I can't describe much of their world (it's been so long since I read the book). I do remember the author using the term "fey" quite often, if that helps...

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36601 comments Mod
Perhaps we should change "Sci-Fi" to "Fantasy" in the topic header?

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4069 comments Mod
I added "Fantasy" to the header. I hope someone knows this book -- it sounds interesting!

message 6: by Melody (new)

Melody Kemble | 31 comments Is it this? Hope link works.
https://g.co/kgs/nf8UE9

message 7: by Moose (new)

Moose | 3 comments Melody - wow, I owe you. That isn't the book, BUT you helped me solve this in the craziest way. The name of the protagonist in your link is Alanna, which rang some bells in my mind...and then I remembered the cover of the book and a partial title. After a surprisingly short Google search, I've finally found it.

Without further ado, here is the book that I read as a kid (am I allowed to post links to Amazon here?). Thank you to you, Kate, and Kris for helping me figure this out!!

https://www.amazon.com/Shackle-Sword-...

message 8: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments I'm glad you found it, K! Shackle and Sword for the Goodreads link.

message 9: by Melody (new)

Melody Kemble | 31 comments How interesting the way it all came together. I'm so happy you found the book. 😊