THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > Difference between Goodreads author page and Amazon Author Central

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrian (new)

Morales Adrian | 4 comments Hello,

Can you please tell me the difference between the Goodreads author page and Amazon Author Central ? Aren't both services owned by Amazon? Why create two pages? With two separate blogs and info and such?

message 2: by Amrita (new)

Amrita (arao) | 4 comments Strange, isn't it? It would be so much easier for Authors if we could show our ratings from Goodreads on the Amazon book page. I wonder why they keep both the services separate.

message 3: by Eric (last edited May 17, 2018 03:26AM) (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 186 comments I'm not an expert, but the reason for the no-crossovers seems simple to me. No matter who owns what, these are two separate companies with separate purposes.

Amazon is a retailer whose purpose is to sell, sell, sell. (Nope, not indicating that's a bad thing). It has certain standards for what its star ratings mean, and certain review standards. It obviously hopes that the more and higher ratings a book has the more it will sell.

Goodreads is a readers company, where the purpose is for readers to share their views on books and meet like-minded people to discuss (or disagree about) particular books or genres or whatever. GR review standards, such as what the stars mean, are different from AMZ.

So for practical reasons there is no (nor, in my never humble opinion, should there be) automatic crossover in either direction between GR reviews and AMZ reviews.

And also, as authors, we need to remember the reviews don't belong to us. The copyright is owned by the person who wrote the review. That person gets to choose whether to post his/her review just at GR, just at AMZ, at both, or elsewhere. We have absolutely no right to copy and paste someone else's writing from one place to another because we think doing so will benefit us.

Just my USD .02.

Eric

message 4: by Adrian (new)

Morales Adrian | 4 comments Amrita wrote: "Strange, isn't it? It would be so much easier for Authors if we could show our ratings from Goodreads on the Amazon book page. I wonder why they keep both the services separate."

It would.

message 5: by Adrian (new)

Morales Adrian | 4 comments Eric wrote: "I'm not an expert, but the reason for the no-crossovers seems simple to me. No matter who owns what, these are two separate companies with separate purposes.

Amazon is a retailer whose purpose is..."

Right, but why I still don't understand the point of having two identical author's profiles, though. They should just merge them and call it a day. Wouldn't that be much easier?

message 6: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Cronin | 115 comments Two different programs. Ask a programmer for a tech explanation.

message 7: by Shaun (last edited May 17, 2018 06:36AM) (new)

Shaun (sponting) | 101 comments Before Amazon took Goodreads under its wing a few years back, both author features already existed. As they were both being well used it's difficult to remove one for the other. We are discussing ideas around author feature integration between platforms. The Author Feedback Group is definitely a place where we'd make any announcements in this area!

In addition to that, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions around how they see author integration working, feel free to discuss here.

message 8: by Amrita (new)

Amrita (arao) | 4 comments Eric wrote: "I'm not an expert, but the reason for the no-crossovers seems simple to me. No matter who owns what, these are two separate companies with separate purposes

I understand they're separate entities. However since Amazon owns GoodReads, wouldn't it benefit all parties concerned if author profiles, information regarding books, blogs and reviews were integrated?

You are right about reviews being owned by the people writing them, and no one wants to copy paste reviews. However, if there was a GoodReads tab on the Amazon page like the one we can add on Facebook, it would help both authors and readers tremendously.

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 186 comments Respectfully, Amrita, what you suggest is the functional equivalent of copying and pasting.

Apparently there is some GR tab you can add to your own Facebook page, so all you're doing is linking two sets of data created and "owned" by you.

But the idea of being able to link Jane's review of X's book on GR to the book's page on AMZ (or however that might work)...when Jane didn't choose to post her review on AMZ...means the author would be appropriating Jane's review and essentially "moving" it elsewhere.

It's kind of an "end run" around literal copying and pasting.

I respectfully suggest that everyone just accept the reality that reviews don't belong to authors and are not designed to help authors sell more books, even if that may be a fortunate byproduct of enough good reviews. Reviews inform other readers what one reader thinks, which may or may not be helpful to that other reader in deciding whether to buy/read the particular book.

Just more of my USD .02.

Eric

message 10: by Adrian (last edited May 18, 2018 03:19AM) (new)

Morales Adrian | 4 comments Eric wrote: reviews don't belong to authors and are not designed to help authors sell more books

I think you are the only author who believes reviews are simply the opinions of those who bought a product. Everyone else is like, "Give me reviews!! They're my bread and butter!!"

Also, why should I -- or anyone else for that matter -- base my entire hard work on what others think? Respect your buyers, sure, but maybe someone was having a bad day and left an equally bad review. Should I stop writing?

Anyway, I'll take your USD .02 because it's Universally true.

message 11: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 186 comments Adrian wrote: "Eric wrote: reviews don't belong to authors and are not designed to help authors sell more books

I think you are the only author who believes reviews are simply the opinions of those who bought a ..."

Thanks, Adrian.