The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)
This topic is about Wrath of Empire
Powder Mage > WoE: First Half Discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited May 16, 2018 03:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Please keep all discussion and speculation to the events of the first half of the book. It also be helpful if you post where you are in the book (ie Spoilers up to Chapter 20)

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling things for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later sections/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited May 19, 2018 09:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Discussion through Chapter 32

I'm just about halfway done with the book so this will probably be my only post in this thread (although it doesn't seem like anyone else is posting here anyways).

It took me awhile to get back up to speed on everyone. I vaguely recalled the events of the first book, but my memory of the first series is especially hazy now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm enjoying all three subplots quite a bit:

Vlora and Taniel in the Gold Town
Ben Styke with Ka-Pole as his new shadow
Mikkael once again going double agent, only this time for the invading army since he's been ousted by the Blackhats.

I'm hard pressed to decide which subplot I'm enjoying the most, probably because all three are so good.

I don't recall meeting the Powder creator (alchemist) that Vlora knows. Is she new or was she a minor character in the original trilogy?

Ditto for the immortal privileged. I don't recall any of them at this point.

I'm assuming the 3rd Powder Mage is new, since neither Vlora or Taniel seem to know/remember them.

I'll be curious of Bo shows up later in the book (or possibly the 3rd book) since Vlora sent him a letter. Who was the other Privileged she was talking about? Is that the maid? I vaguely recall she turned into a privileged who didn't need gloves or something. But maybe I'm just confused/my memory sucks.

Either way this book is off to a great start. I wonder if the other two Godstones will both be found before the end. It seems like Taniel/Vlora will at least find the one they are looking for.

So far Ben doesn't seem to be anywhere near the one he's supposed to find. Then again Vlora considers him to mostly be a distraction. Ka-poel is sticking to him awfully close though.

Anyone else reading along yet?

Suzanne | 1582 comments You're just way ahead of me Rob, so I am not reading your comments yet. I'd forgotten how I struggle for audio time when I'm not commuting. I'm remembering the 1st book pretty well though.

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

My audio is down a bit because it's been raining all week and I haven't been able to ride my bike. As it is, I'm already finding ways to sneak in an extra chapter here and there.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Yeah I think I need to go on a house-cleaning binge or something. I keep going out on walks, but people keep coming with me, which is fine....i guess. Lol I just want to be anti-social and listen to my book!

I was worried when I remembered nobody in the prologue, but then luckily , those weren't people I was supposed to remember.

At this point (around Chapter 8) - a couple comments:

1. I really liked the battle scene at the start - it was well described and I felt like I could see and understand what was happening.

2. Styke seems pretty brilliant as a military commander from the little I've seen. The way he immediately assessed the threat and charged was great.

3. I admire Michael staying and helping people to escape from the city - and I'm interested in seeing where that goes.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I'm in Chapter 37 now (somehow I thought your comments went through 36 instead of 32 - oops!)

I'm not sure what subplot I like best either - maybe Styke's. I like how he decided not to get revenge on everyone who betrayed him - basically one situation at a time. And he still seems like a great in-the-moment military genius.

I REALLY like how Mikael is torn with his double agent role - the people he is working with seem nice, and I can see why he would feel conflicted.

Yes we have Bo and the maid privileged that may show up - hard to say. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bo. I haven't liked Taniel as much in this one as previous books. However, he was in one of my favorite scenes - where he is trying to peaceably diffuse the fight then just annihilates everyone.

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah, Styke's struggle between his feelings of rage/need for revenge and the changes brought on by Selene make for a good subplot.

With regard to Mikael, I think McClellan does a good job in demonstrating not all of the Dianize are bent on destruction/power for the god stone. We see there are factions within them that don't like each other that much, and learn they had a civil war prior to invading.

I'm not sure if you mean you don't like Taniel because he's doing/acting in a way you don't like, or something else. I will say he's definitely a more minor character in this series, so he's done very little. Probably to keep the focus on Vlora.

Taniel is way more powerful. McClellen had to do something to tamper Taniel just taking over the book from Vlora, so that may be why you like him less.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I think you are right about Taniel - he's just not a main character, and I'm possibly reacting to Vlora's annoyance with him :) Ha plus the voice the narrator (who is really good I think) uses for Taniel isn't my favorite.

I DO want to know what his plans are. And I like that he and Ka Poel are split up - I feel like we get to see her more and maybe learn a bit more about her magic.

message 9: by Liam (new) - added it

Liam Johnstone (hadaad) | 383 comments Just about at halfway here. I loved Vlora's confrontation with the other powder mage.

With the Powder Mage trilogy, I struggled with Taniel's chapters and really got behind Adamat (I think that was his name -- the investigator, anyway). This time around, there aren't any bad POVs or any chapters I want over so I can get to others. I'm having a way easier time staying in the story with this series because everything is so compelling.

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah. All three are good. Every time he'd swap I'd be annoyed to leave the current subplot only to get sucked into the next one just as quickly.

Amanda | 6 comments Rob wrote: "Ditto for the immortal privileged. I don't recall any of them at this point.
"

I just recently discovered Brian McClellan, so I’m reading the books pretty much back to back. The first trilogy is still pretty fresh for me. The immortal Privileged were in the first trilogy. I think we met 3 of them, although I cannot remember their names. The first was the Privileged that escaped Tamas’ initial purge & then caused all kinds of havoc in Adopest while Taniel is hunting her. She eventually flees Adro because she doesn’t want to be around when Kresimir comes back. The second is the woman (Jolene maybe, she could turn into a cave lion) who brought Kresimir back; she was the one hung-up over the Kez camp for months. Taniel ends-up sparing her in the end. The third was the Chancellor of the university who was in Tamas’ inner circle during the revolution. We didn’t know he was Privileged until the end of The Autumn Republic.

And I don't remember the powder maker either; I don't thinks she was in the first 3 books.

message 12: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks Amanda.

It's been so long since I've read the original trilogy I don't remember most of that. I do remember the woman hung up in the Kez camp. The other 2, not so much.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Oh nice - thanks Amanda. You are the perfect resource for our previous trilogy questions :)

Amanda | 6 comments Gladly! I randomly picked-up PoB at the library in early March & really enjoyed it. Now I’ve read PoB, TCC, TAR, all the novellas, SoE, & am about a third of the way through WoE. When I finish this one, I’ll just have to sit back & wait for Blood of Empire. I’m also waiting on The Thorn of Emberlain. I am willing to take wagers on which one comes first. :)

message 15: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

No bet. It will be Blood of Empire..

I'm waiting on Thorn too.