Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8) Harry Potter and the Cursed Child discussion

May Reading Assignment

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie_rubio (new)

Valerie_rubio Maybe I set my expectations too high or I had too many predictions beforehand, but I did not enjoy this book as much as I would have liked to.
The formatting was initially off-putting, I never really liked plays that much. You eventually get used to it and can actually get into the story. I enjoyed the language they used to describe the settings sometimes plays overlook that, but this book delivered that and I was able to get lost in the story.
The plot, however, was not something I would expect of J.K. Rowling. I felt as if it was rather rushed and was cliche using the old time travel plot where they have to fix everything. There were some weird scenes and plot holes where it didn't really make any sense how or why they did what they did.
The character were not accurate either. The character development each of them experienced in the previous books was not there. They were basically a shell of their former selves.
Overall I would give this book 1/5 stars. The plot, characters, and bad writing ruined what could have been an amazing book. I would not recommend this book.

message 2: by Siddharth (new)

Siddharth C'mon, the play might not have been as expected, but it was not as bad as you described.

Julia I completely agree with you, Valerie!! I gave it 2/5 stars, only because Scorpius and Draco were somewhat *decent* characters in this mess of a play.

Kathy I read the book and do feel that the format affected its readability.
However, I was able to see the play at the Lyric Theater in New York City and it was amazing. Now, I have started to re-read the book, and is a totally different experience.