Christian Nonfiction Lovers Book Club discussion

In My Name
This topic is about In My Name
Let's Talk Nonfiction Books! > Using God's name in vain

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new) - added it

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 447 comments The 3rd commandment teaches us not to use the name of the Lord in vain. What do you think is the New Testament equivalent of that commandment? In other words... what did Jesus say about this?

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken  Van Horn (kenvanhorn) | 2 comments Why do you say to me, "Lord, Lord" but do not do the things I say to do? (Luke 6:46).

message 3: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new) - added it

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 447 comments Hm, that is a good one Ken. Using His name, not doing what He says. In my book I have used 'Hallowed be your name".

message 4: by Susan, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan (susanrohrer) | 284 comments Marja and Ken, these are great examples. When believers use any name for God or any expression including His name, it should be hallowed--with respect and reverence. And those who claim His name are encouraged to honor Him by bearing the fruit and gifts of the Spirit, just as Jesus did.

message 5: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new) - added it

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 447 comments Thanks for commenting Susan, His name is holy and it is ours to use... with respect and honor!

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria Ruiz | 2 comments I have been led in my journey to believe that rather than it meaning only to say His names with reverence, it means more so not to take His name, calling yourself a Christian, in vain...taking it lightly and not living up to what that means in all truth and spirit. “If you love Me, obey My commands”.

That’s how I see it 🤷🏻‍♀️

message 7: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new) - added it

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 447 comments Hi Maria, that is exactly one of the things I wrote in that book. Using His name in vain, also means using it aimlessly, without purpose. Empty words indeed. Another thing I discuss in the book is using His name as a filler in prayers... Lord, Lord, Lord...

Maria wrote: "I have been led in my journey to believe that rather than it meaning only to say His names with reverence, it means more so not to take His name, calling yourself a Christian, in vain...taking it l..."

message 8: by Susan, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan (susanrohrer) | 284 comments Marja wrote: "Hi Maria, that is exactly one of the things I wrote in that book. Using His name in vain, also means using it aimlessly, without purpose. Empty words indeed. Another thing I discuss in the book is ..."

Hi Marja,

Maria's post isn't listed under the April Book of the Month contest. But could we consider this her entry to give her a chance at winning your book? She did post it while it was still April. :)

message 9: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new) - added it

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 447 comments Good idea Susan, I will contact her!
Susan wrote: "Marja wrote: "Hi Maria, that is exactly one of the things I wrote in that book. Using His name in vain, also means using it aimlessly, without purpose. Empty words indeed. Another thing I discuss i..."

message 10: by Petros (new)

Petros Scientia | 11 comments It seemed that God told me something about His name some time ago, and here's what I think He said. His name is more than just a label. His name is His essence.

So, when God says, through the Bible, that we are to do all things in His name, He isn't saying to repeat the words "in Jesus name" every time we pick up or socks or wash a dish, but we are supposed to do everything we do in His essence. He, His essence, is supposed to be doing His works through us. We are to pray in His name. We repeat the words, "In Jesus name, amen," after each prayer, but He really wants us to pray in His essence. He wants to pray through us as we speak as the oracles of God. He lives within us. His ministry in each Christian is His actual existence within.

I'm going to cover a lot of ground in a few words, so hang onto your hat. He leads us. That is, He speaks to us from within. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word (rhema=utterance) of God. It's His essence contained in those words, and those words have His power in them. Scripture says faith gives us access to His grace and that grace does the works through us. It's His leading and will, and it's His power of righteousness through grace that does the works.

Our part is to stop fighting Him and trying to do our own wills. We call that lack of fighting "submission" or doing everything in His name. However, we can use His name when we're actually doing our own wills. We haven't even asked God what He wants. In that case, we''re using His name in vain since what we do is not of faith. God never asked us to do it. That's a lot do understand, but does it make sense to you? If not, you can ask me, or you can have my book "Real Faith & Reason" for free from my website. That book will tell you the same thing and a lot more with more background and explanation.

message 11: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new) - added it

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 447 comments There is indeed so much to learn, to discover and apply when it comes to God's name. The books in this series I am writing are about the Ten Commandments in the 21st century, How are the words coming to life for believers today. God's name is His essence, he is after all the great I am. His name is also His presence. it is such an interesting topic. Thanks for your comments.
Petros wrote: "It seemed that God told me something about His name some time ago, and here's what I think He said. His name is more than just a label. His name is His essence.

So, when God says, through the Bib..."