Mount TBR 2018 discussion

A Tale of Two Cities
This topic is about A Tale of Two Cities
Buddy Reads > A Tale of Two Cities - STARTING JUNE 1

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jessika (jessika_56) Time for another classic! Let's start June 1. Post any comments or thoughts here.

message 2: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn (cam00105) | 29 comments So, shall we all just go at our own pace through the month or set goals? The former feels a bit more relaxed to me.

Lynna I would love to join in on this. This is one my favorite books and one of the first classics I ever read. So I'd love to read it again as a read along. :-) I hope I can fit it in...

message 4: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn (cam00105) | 29 comments Lynna wrote: "I would love to join in on this. This is one my favorite books and one of the first classics I ever read. So I'd love to read it again as a read along. :-) I hope I can fit it in..."

We'd love to have you join Lynna!

Jessika (jessika_56) Carolyn wrote: "So, shall we all just go at our own pace through the month or set goals? The former feels a bit more relaxed to me."

Personally, I can NEVER stick to a reading schedule, so going at my own pace is preferred. But if you really want a schedule, I will try my best!

Jessika (jessika_56) Lynna wrote: "I would love to join in on this. This is one my favorite books and one of the first classics I ever read. So I'd love to read it again as a read along. :-) I hope I can fit it in..."

That'd be great, we'd love to have you! I struggle to enjoy classics, so maybe having you along will help me find it more enjoyable.

message 7: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn (cam00105) | 29 comments Jessika wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "So, shall we all just go at our own pace through the month or set goals? The former feels a bit more relaxed to me."

Personally, I can NEVER stick to a reading schedule, so going a..."

Our own pace sounds great to me!

message 8: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy K (kristy_k) | 11 comments So glad I saw this! A Tale of Two Cities in on my list to read this year and I love the idea of going at our own pace. :)

message 9: by Elishia (new) - added it

Elishia Almost forgot about this, think I'll borrow the audio or try serial reader to see which one I prefer.

Jessika (jessika_56) And we're off!

Let's check in every so often with our progress and with any questions or comments.

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Elishia wrote: "Almost forgot about this, think I'll borrow the audio or try serial reader to see which one I prefer."
I like serial reader a lot for books like this.

I started early (I started on Wednesday), so I'm in the middle of part 2 already and I'm really enjoying it.

Pamela | 109 comments I read this book earlier this year and would like to follow along on your discussions, and possibly chime in. I had a hard time getting into the book, but after a while it grabbed me. Good luck in your readings!

Susan | 87 comments I would like to follow along too, if that’s okay. I read it last month. I was going to wait for the readalong but got so caught up in the story that I read right through.

message 14: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn (cam00105) | 29 comments Confession time- I should admit going into this that (while I would never spoil it for anyone else) I do actually know the ending prior to reading the book because there was an episode of one of my favorite shows as a kid (Wishbone) that adapted it and I also saw the 30s film a year or 2 ago.

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Pamela wrote: "I read this book earlier this year and would like to follow along on your discussions, and possibly chime in. I had a hard time getting into the book, but after a while it grabbed me. Good luck in ..."
I also thought it a little bit difficult in the beginning to get involved, but after a while I was really immersed in it. I'm already at 60%, but I'm slowing down for now because of other reads.

message 16: by Elishia (new) - added it

Elishia I've started again today because couldn't get in to it properly the other day. So far I like it although I'm a bit confused at the moment. I know nothing about this time period so hopefully it doesn't get to confusing.

Jessika (jessika_56) How's everyone doing? I'm almost halfway, and honestly it's not terrible, but I feel like the whole book could be half the length...

What are everyone else's thoughts?

message 18: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn (cam00105) | 29 comments I'm very behind with it, haven't started yet because I have a few others I'm in the midst of but really looking forward to starting.

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments I am done with it already. It was a slow start and I had a hard time getting into Dickens writing and acclimatizing to the time period, but once part one was out of the way, everything just flowed quickly. I do think some things are overly-explained and are mainly used as a build-up for the story and political scenario, but in the end it all ties up and it's worth it - there was some interesting connections that are being built since part one but you'll only realize at almost the end of the book.

Jessika (jessika_56) Natália wrote: "I am done with it already. It was a slow start and I had a hard time getting into Dickens writing and acclimatizing to the time period, but once part one was out of the way, everything just flowed ..."

Wow, great to hear you already finished! Maybe you can help keep the rest of us on track!

message 21: by Elishia (new) - added it

Elishia Sorry haven't checked in I'm really behind (was ill so didn't read anything for a week) I'm still reading though.

message 22: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn (cam00105) | 29 comments Hey y'all, I hate to disappoint but I think I'm gonna have to bow out of this readalong. I really do want to read this at some point this year but I sadly haven't felt like picking it up all month and when I try to read a book I'm not in the mood for, I end up judging it differently than I would if I was in the mood for it :(. Hope y'all are enjoying it though :D Happy Reading :D

Jessika (jessika_56) Carolyn wrote: "Hey y'all, I hate to disappoint but I think I'm gonna have to bow out of this readalong."

Don't worry, I totally get the struggle of reading a book you aren't in the mood for... My problem is I'm never in the mood for classics!

I'm about halfway now, and it is picking up slightly... I was hoping to finish by the end of the month, but even with listening to the audiobook, I have a feeling that I might miss the mark.

Jessika (jessika_56) In a mad rush, I sped the audiobook up to 2x speed and finished ToTC today. 2 stars for me, classics and I just don't get along...

message 25: by Elishia (new) - added it

Elishia Carolyn I'll read it with you later in the year I'd you want. I was so behind then my audio expired.

message 26: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn (cam00105) | 29 comments Elishia-Sounds good to me :) I'm not quite sure when I'll be ready to read it though so if you end up wanting to read it sooner rather than later feel free to go ahead.