Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors by Doug Stanton - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy D (last edited May 14, 2018 04:36PM) (new)

Joy D | 4650 comments In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors by Doug Stanton - 5 stars

True story of the U.S.S. Indianapolis torpedoed and sunk near the end of WWII by a Japanese submarine. Based on interviews with survivors, extensive research, and review of declassified information, the author sheds light on what really happened to the ship and its crew. It starts with an ending, then traces the ship’s last journey from San Francisco to Tinian to deliver an important cargo to its final resting place at the bottom of the Philippine Sea. It brings to light the series of miscommunications, misguided naval directives, and errors in judgment that led to the survivors spending an inordinate amount of time awaiting rescue, resulting in unnecessary deaths at sea. The captain became a scapegoat for an act of war to divert attention from this series of fiascos. In addition to the riveting human saga, it includes scientific explanations for the miseries endured by the survivors. This book comprises a crisp, well-told, powerful piece of history. Recommended to those interested in the history of WWII, survival stories, or rectification of injustice. An impressive work that made a difference.

Link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Adding to TBR. Love these kind of stories.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review. The history of the U.S.S. Indianapolis is a sad one. I have not read this particular book but have read others about this ship. I believe it was just last year when the wreckage was discovered.
Another good but sad story is The Sullivan Brothers who all served on the same ship and all perished when that ship went down. There are several books on this as well.

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments Loved this book ... 5 stars from me as well.

message 5: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4650 comments Jason wrote: "Adding to TBR. Love these kind of stories."

Great! I look forward to hearing what you think of it, Jason.

Rachel wrote: "Great review. The history of the U.S.S. Indianapolis is a sad one. I have not read this particular book but have read others about this ship. I believe it was just last year when the wreckage was d..."

Thanks, Rachel. I'll have to look into these.

Book Concierge wrote: "Loved this book ... 5 stars from me as well."

Glad to hear you appreciated it as much as I did!

message 6: by Cynda (last edited May 15, 2018 05:37PM) (new)

Cynda  (cynda) A great book for my dad. He likes books about WWII. He served in the Air Force in the 1950s, too young to have served in WWII. I almost positive he would have like to have been old enough.
The book is already on my Christmas list <3

message 7: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4650 comments Cool, Cynda! :-)

message 8: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments This is a crazy story, and it would be interesting to read a book about it instead of just random articles. Plus, I feel like this was covered by Shark Week one year, but I know that wasn't accurate. Because, you know, Shark Week.

message 9: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4650 comments Certainly sharks are part of the story, so it's possible. I haven't seen Shark Week in many years.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

It actually was covered one year during Shark Week. I don't remember when but so many died by shark attacks. I haven't watched Shark Week in years though. I've read a couple of books, one by a survivor and his stories where filled with horror, watching men become delusional from the intake of salt water and letting go of rafts. Of others being attacked and killed by sharks. So sad.

message 11: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I have this on the never-ending TBR pile. Nice review.

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments There is a reference to the Indianapolis sinking in the movie JAWS (don't remember if it's in the book ... I think not). They are getting drunk out on the boat and Richard Dreyfus character asks about the captain's scar. He says he had a tattoo removed and Dreyfus kids him about some failed romance. But the captains says, "it was the USS Indianapolis." Which of course, all us shark fanatics immediately recognize.

BTW I started reading seriously about sharks and shark attacks when I was in middle school. I used to wait for my dad at the library and I'd just randomly roam the shelves and pick books up. I picked up a book about sharks and got completely hooks and read everything our public library had on the subject in about 7th & 8th grade. I'm pretty sure this was about the time I first read about the Indianapolis.