Clean Reads discussion

Authors rating own books - thoughts?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by W.A. (new)

W.A. | 13 comments Hi all. What are your thoughts/feelings about authors who rate their own work on a site like GR? Do you like it or dislike it? Is it something you even care about?

I have mixed feelings on the subject. On the one hand, I find it interesting to see how an author views his or her own efforts and success. But on the other hand, I have seen people who give the highest rating possible to all of their own work. Whether they're trying to improve the chances of someone picking up their work or they really just think that their stuff is "that good", it comes across as conceited to me.

So, is this just me? Or am I being too harsh? I have wanted to rate my own books, but I don't want to come across as a snob or anything, so I've refrained.

message 2: by S.A. (new)

S.A. Thorup (sathorup) | 27 comments I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I've rated my own books according to my current opinion of them, and I hope it draws readers on this site to my books. I don't see it as anything other than honest self promotion that way. (I'm not going to say they're the best, of course.)

I saw one book on here where the author rated it and made some witty comment along with it. There were several readers who commented they would read the book simply because he did that little review on himself and was even willing to poke fun at himself!

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim | 18 comments As a reader I don't think there is anything wrong with it either. If author didn't put 5 stars for their own book I would be worried. I always look at author's reviews as a way to introduce the book, talk to readers, and get other reviews rolling.

message 4: by Dorcas (new)

Dorcas (onemorepageplease) | 46 comments I don't think its neccesarily wrong but if I see what is obviously an author rating I don't "count it" as its not impartial. I mean, what author is going to give themselves 2 stars? They obviously think its good or they wouldn't publish it. But IMO they're too close to their work to see its faults. So personally I prefer non author reviews.

message 5: by W.A. (new)

W.A. | 13 comments Thank you all for the input. I have to admit, I'm a little tempted to leave a review with constructive criticism for one of my books now, lol.

message 6: by Loren (new)

Loren Secretts | 11 comments I don't feel comfortable with posting for my own books. To me,it seems like bragging. And in any case, I'd probably do more harm than good, as I'm harsh on myself.
Hey, I'm just thinking -- a one star review that really bashes my book might actually generate a lot of interest! No such thing as bad publicity, right?

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 206 comments I wouldn't feel comfortable rating and reviewing my own books. I was tempted to rate one of my books with 5 stars when someone dropped 1 star on it and didn't say why. I get attached to my books and I felt it was fair to even things up a bit. But I withdrew the rating!

I'm heartened to see some readers, like Kim, saying they think it is all right to do rate our own books. Yes, we do need to present our books as being the best we can make them.

message 8: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 67 comments I have no problem with an author rating their own books. Especially when they say something in the review, like, "I wrote it so of course I love it."

Those always make me smile.

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess Myname | 46 comments Of the couple I have seen they where mostly a hi I have a new book this is why I wrote it. This is a bit about it let me know what you think kind of a thing it is always the first review it was kind of fun to read.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (emarsh13) As a reviewer, it annoys me to death! I can't tell you how many self published authors would accost our site, telling us how amazing and wonderful their book is, and how highly rated it is on sites like this, only to find out that those ratings are all from themselves or their moms. More than once I bought the hype, only to get a chapter into the book and want to cry at my own gullibility. Let your work speak for yourself. Shouting snout how awesome you are nullifies your claims.

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 103 comments I always have a measure of doubt for an author who rates their own book. Yes, what other would you give than five stars...but when most of an author's shelved books are three or four stars, and their own is five, it makes them seem arrogant, and I'm less likely to pick up their work to read.
Now, giving a review is different, especially if it's something like "Dear Reader" and tells a few snippets about the inspiration for the book.
In my world: skip the star rating, but review if you'd like.