Play Book Tag discussion

Long Way Down
This topic is about Long Way Down
Archive: Other Books > Long Way Down - Jason Reynolds (4 1/2)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1456 comments Long Way Down - Jason Reynolds

4 1/2

Long Way down is a book in verse that tells the story of a 15-year-old boy whose brother has just been murdered. In his grief he finds his brother's gun and vows to get revenge on the boy he thinks killed him. When he gets into the elevator to leave his home and get his revenge, he is visited to spirits from his past that make him think about the action he is about to take.

I thought this was a powerful story about consequences and cycles of violence. I like that Reynolds does not give the readers a right answer, but instead walks them through the decision and consequences of the culture of revenge. I think verse was a powerful way to present this story. It was a quick read that was very worthwhile.

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments I have this on my to-read shelf!
I have many Reynolds titles on my want-to-read list, he pops up on review sites I frequent, but haven't gotten to him yet.

Cora (corareading) | 1456 comments I also read the first in the Track series, Ghost. My daughter (she is almost 13 and a bit of a reluctant reader) and I listened to it and we both loved it.

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments Cora wrote: "I also read the first in the Track series, Ghost. My daughter (she is almost 13 and a bit of a reluctant reader) and I listened to it and we both loved it."

I just noticed that Ghost is on "The Great American Read" list!
Pretty cool.