Play Book Tag discussion

The Silver Linings Playbook
This topic is about The Silver Linings Playbook
May 2018: Family Drama > Silver Linings Playbook - Matthew Quick - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jason Oliver | 2097 comments Talk about some family drama.

Pat has just left a mental institution. He is waiting for "apart time" with his wife to be over. His Dad won't speak to him unless the Eagles are winning. His mother finally has laid down the law with his father and through this all, Pat doesn't realize hes been gone for 4 years. Top it off, he is being perused by Tiffany who has her own mental instability.

This was a well written book. I love when sports are added into book, even to show the extremes and the negatives. This book felt so real with the family. Not the specific things per say, but the attitudes and the idea behind the events in the book. I felt Tiffany was a bit contrived, but I also don't know anyone with these types of problems and may just be ignorant to these type of people. Regardless, an emotional and good read. It also makes you think about the decisions and actions you take now and how it can affect the future.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Have you seen the movie? I have not read the book but the movie was quirky and fun and painfully awkward at times.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I too have only seen the movie. It was great!

message 4: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I've wanted to see the movie of this for awhile. I didn't even know it was based off a book.

Jason Oliver | 2097 comments I have not seen the movie. I used to watch movies religiously. There wasn't a movie you could name that I hadn't seen. For a while now I warch maybe 3 movies a year.

message 6: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I have a funny story about the movie.......when it came out, I was on medical leave so I used to go to daytime movies sometimes. I went to this on a “senior” day. As I was walking out of the movie, I heard two woman taking about how good looking the star was........I was thinking they were talking about Bradley Cooper. However, then they mentioned other movies that “he” was in and mentioned the Cape Fear and Meet the Fockers, I realized that they were talking about Robert De Niro. But a smile on my face!

message 7: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3673 comments JoLene wrote: "I have a funny story about the movie.......when it came out, I was on medical leave so I used to go to daytime movies sometimes. I went to this on a “senior” day. As I was walking out of the movie,..."

Oh my God, that's adorable! He is kinda cute in the movie :)

I loved the movie, so I was curious about the book.
I struggle to make it a priority to read anything when I already know what happens, or especially when I've seen the movie.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9326 comments Jason, that kids for you. We’re at that age, even though you’re like actually 20 years younger than me. Anyway were at that parenting age where you used to see every good movie that came out and even some of the bad ones. I think I’m lucky if I see one a year. I actually went to see pitch perfect three on my birthday, And took all three kids in the luxurious seats. Other than that, there’s a ton of movies I’d really like to see.

message 9: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I also think that nowadays movies are out in DVD or on vocable within a very short window and our home entertainment systems are pretty good. My husband and I don’t have kids and used to go to movies a lot, but now we just wait for most of them to come on TV. I will admit, it’s partly my fault because, dark theater, cold climate and comfy seats just makes me fall asleep. I know try to take brainless knitting in so I have someth8ng that keeps my hands busy. Otherwise, I call asleep — even if I’m really enjoy8ng the movie.

Jason Oliver | 2097 comments JoLene wrote: "I also think that nowadays movies are out in DVD or on vocable within a very short window and our home entertainment systems are pretty good. My husband and I don’t have kids and used to go to movi..."

Its not that I just don't go to the movies, I don't watch movies. We don't cable, just Netflix and I turn it on about once or twice a month to watch my two shows. Occasionally a Documentary. Actual movies, I really only watch about 3 a year and just so happens, I used one of them tonite. haha. Kids are at grandparents so wife and I went to the movies. Been a long time. My last times in a theater were The Greatest Showman 2017, and Ice Age 5 2016.

But its not like I don't watch TV, its just sports mainly.

message 11: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I used to not watch many movies, in the theater or at home, then I became good friends with a woman who loves going to the movies so we go about every 4-6 weeks, and I rediscovered the joy of RedBox! Lol. $1.75 for s movie rental and the box is two blocks from my house, so I rent movies as often as once a week. That has been over the winter though and I bet it drops off in the summer.