Play Book Tag discussion

Disrupted: My Misadventure in the Start-Up Bubble
This topic is about Disrupted
Archive: Other Books > Disrupted: My Misadventure in the Start-up Bubble - Dan Lyons - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I loved this book for many reasons.

Dan Lyons were technology editor for Newsweek and had made a career in Journalism, always moving up and advancing his career......until he was fired. It came as a shock. So, he decides to restart his career in marketing for a startup company called HubSpot. This is his story, as a 50 year old, recreating himself in a millennial world of startups like Facebook, Twitter, HubSpot and all these other tech companies. It does not go very well for many reasons.

This book made me laugh, made me mad, blew my mind, and gave me insight into startups, inventors, millennial's style of business. Am I 100% on Dan's side...no but I am 98% on his side. The best stories was Dan, 50 years old, getting in trouble and dealing with issues with people have his age.

Also, as a sales and marketing manager, I dealt with the "marketing" of HubSpot, so I had a bit of a connection with this book.

Lastly, I have to say, the HubSpot culture, as described by Dan Lyons, reminds me of The Circle

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Jason wrote: "Lastly, I have to say, the HubSpot culture, as described by Dan Lyons, reminds me of The Circle."

Well this is mildly terrifying, lol. I've heard of hubspot, but never used it.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Yeah. The atmosphere and devotion and everything is online. Like someone asks Dan to lunch. Dan says okay. They guy says I'll send you a Google invite. Dan says no that's okay I'll remember. Tell you what I'll add it to my calendar now. It's added. The other guys says, I'll send it too just to make sure. They sit across from each other at work. Just that kinda social network hubspot is great mentality.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9337 comments I love everything about this review and this conversation. Fun to think about restarting a career at age 50. Shows you that anything is possible. At least if you have a sense of humor

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Amy, it didn't work. He wound up a writer for a TV show and also back in journalism.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9337 comments No too bad an outcome, if you ask me.

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments True